Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George burgess

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Anybody else think that chev walker has a chance of maybe making the bench as cover for the back row and emergency centre if any injuries the the 3/4's?

#42 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Anybody else think that chev walker has a chance of maybe making the bench as cover for the back row and emergency centre if any injuries the the 3/4's?

Unlikely, I would have thought - although his start to the season has been superb.

Another twenty five games like that and he'll struggle not to get picked, but that's easier said than done.
People called Romans they go the house

#43 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Unlikely, I would have thought - although his start to the season has been superb.

Another twenty five games like that and he'll struggle not to get picked, but that's easier said than done.

Aboustley depends on form but like you say he's started the season in superb form. Prior to his departure to union he was playing the best rugby of his career at Leeds in the centres IMO and was a dead cert for the tri-nations down under in 2006, he along with Leon Pryce, Danny McGuire and rob burrow never fulfilled their true potential on the international stage.

#44 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

I'd go for...
Burgess
Roby
Graham
Hock
Westwood
Sinfield.

Myler
Widdop

Watkins
Atkins
Briscoe
Hall

Tomkins.

Bench.
Burrow
Hill
Ellis
Crabtree

#45 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Hardaker
Hall
Watkins
Atkins
Charley

Tomkins
Widdop

Graham
Roby
Burgess
Hock
Westwood
Sinfield

Houghton
Ellis
Carvell
Hill

#46 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

just think we cant afford Sinfield taking the place of a knocker at 13, and at 6 he isn't good enough against the very best. If he is at 6 then we can look at Myler, if not then it has to be Brough. Hock, Burgess, O'Loughlin seems right for the back 3. Form hooker is also Higham at present but I like McIllorum, he's the dirty barsteward we need in a big pack that must intimidate.

#47 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Sorry to say but I thought that the comment on Sinfield by Roughyed spud was one of the wierdest for some time, where and what he has been watching to state that only the three players from Oz that he named have been better in internationals than Kevin in recent times is not just laughable but ludicrous also.

Actually if fit and on form the first name on my list would be Westwood, he4 provides more mongrel than anyone else we have consistently, something that showed clearly last saturday V Hull, because Warrington sorely missed his aggresion in the first half, it was only after the introduction of Higham ( who is playing better than ever) that some real fight seemed to be instilled into the pack for Warrington.

Ellis is also not the force he was and although he can be relied upon to do a defensive stint well his go forward over the past two seasons has not been that outstanding and younger fitter lads are emerging onto the scene as well. How long is he out at Hull, anyone know?

I would also have Tomkins at S/H with Widdop alongside, no Atkins who would be an absolute liability defensively against the Aussies, his reading of the game when close to the line is schoolboyish, hard and runs well with the ball, full stop!

Hardacre

Charnley
Watkins
Reed
Hall

Widdop
Tomkins

Burgess (L)
Houghton
Crabtree
Westwood
Burgess (S)
O'Loughlin

Peacock
Hock
Burrow
Roby.

Others: Farrel, Grix, Ellis, Brough, Sinfield, Harrison, Briscoe, Reilly.

#48 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Sorry to say but I thought that the comment on Sinfield by Roughyed spud was one of the wierdest for some time, where and what he has been watching to state that only the three players from Oz that he named have been better in internationals than Kevin in recent times is not just laughable but ludicrous also.

Actually if fit and on form the first name on my list would be Westwood, he4 provides more mongrel than anyone else we have consistently, something that showed clearly last saturday V Hull, because Warrington sorely missed his aggresion in the first half, it was only after the introduction of Higham ( who is playing better than ever) that some real fight seemed to be instilled into the pack for Warrington.

Ellis is also not the force he was and although he can be relied upon to do a defensive stint well his go forward over the past two seasons has not been that outstanding and younger fitter lads are emerging onto the scene as well. How long is he out at Hull, anyone know?

I would also have Tomkins at S/H with Widdop alongside, no Atkins who would be an absolute liability defensively against the Aussies, his reading of the game when close to the line is schoolboyish, hard and runs well with the ball, full stop!

Hardacre

Charnley
Watkins
Reed
Hall

Widdop
Tomkins

Burgess (L)
Houghton
Crabtree
Westwood
Burgess (S)
O'Loughlin

Peacock
Hock
Burrow
Roby.

What no Graham?

#49 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Hardacre

Charnley
Watkins
Reed
Hall

Widdop
Tomkins

Burgess (L)
Houghton
Crabtree
Westwood
Burgess (S)
O'Loughlin

Peacock
Hock
Burrow
Roby.

Can't have less than 3 forwards on the bench at international level, you'll get destroyed later in the game.

Also where's graham.

Tomkins and Widdop won't be able to build up any pressure at all. Fair enough they may make a break or two and are a massive threat attacking whise but they would have to play the majority of the game in their own half. Brough is a must for me IMO as he's got the pace that Sinfield doesn't and can organise and kick.

#50 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

Leroy Cudjoe hasn't been mentioned on here, he has been excellent in attack and defence so far and has really matured as a player imo. him and Watkins would be my centre pairing at this early stage.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#51 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

why do people waste a post by putting sinfield at 13??

he will be 6 for england for EVERY GAME while McNamara is in charge....and when possible hes gonna select the same 1,6,7,9 spine...that being tomkins,sinfield,chase & roby....

Edited by roughyedspud, 26 February 2013 - 09:15 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#52 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

Given that George Burgess has barely played yet for Souths, he'd have to have a pretty incredible season to be in contention for an England spot.

I favour putting Sam Burgess at 13 and then playing Hill or Mossop at prop to give us a massive and mobile pack.

Graham
Roby
Hill
Westwood
Hock
Burgess (S)

#53 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Can't have less than 3 forwards on the bench at international level, you'll get destroyed later in the game.

Also where's graham.

Tomkins and Widdop won't be able to build up any pressure at all. Fair enough they may make a break or two and are a massive threat attacking whise but they would have to play the majority of the game in their own half. Brough is a must for me IMO as he's got the pace that Sinfield doesn't and can organise and kick.

Sorry, and thanks to both you and 'Back to the future' for pointing out my glaring mistake in omitting Graham! On the basis of 'he must be in' I would then have Crabtree on the bench, Grahame to start, probably as Captain too and Hock out of the 17.

You are correct on the forwards issue, apart that is, from the fact that I cannot see (if he is retaining the form of last season) how Burrows can be left out, as his game breaking qualities are an obvious requirement, especially in the latter stages of games.
I do have reservations now over Roby, who does not presently seem to have the same stranglehold he held so easily for some seasons past on the hooking position. I feel that it is much more deeply contested presently than for a good few seasons past.
Houghton is the form man and that from last season also, but Higham, McIlorum and Lunt also, could be there or thereabouts depending on form and fitness when the time comes around.

My aversion to Brough is that for some years now he has started each season with an almighty bang but then inexplicably he almost dissappears from view. He seems to somehow get fed up of playing, for want of a better description and his form when that occurs ia as abysmal as it was superb previously, if and on past seasons, this is a damn big if, brough is at top form at the seasons end and playing at his best then I would also have to have a rethink on him being in the team let alone the squad.................but, lets wait and see on that score.

#54 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

I think to put Sinfield in the team at 6 would require a Heighington or a Burgess at 13 with a Widdop or a Tomkins at 1. To put him at 13 like Leeds would require some big centres to cover the loss of a player taking hit ups etc at 13.

If we desperate to fit Sinfield in, id put him at 9 with Roby on the bench... I havent seen him have a bad game at 9 and when I saw him there initially I was gobsmacked at the shocking decision to play him there... how wrong I was eh!

The props for me would be James Graham, Sam Burgess, Eorl Crabrtree and Chris Hill. Your back row would be Hock, Ellis & Heighington with Westwood taking the last bench spot.

Brough should be given his chance at 7, he is probably the best English eligible half back in Super League and Gareth Widdop at 6.

Hall & Briscoe on the wings, Tomkins at full back but the centres are where id struggle to pick... Watkins would be in there but the last slot would be harder to pick, id probably go with Zak Hardaker... probably for the bias.

Cummins Out.

#55 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Im sure some people don't watch the game or have an inability to learn. yes sinfield is pretty dire but hes played stand off for 2 seasons now since leeds changed to the now norm of additional middle unit 13 and a half on either side of the field. Therefore if hes going to play and people want consistency then he plays 6 (or 7 as its the same role nowadays). This is where he will play. Stop writing 13.sinfield its annoying and pointless.
Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

#56 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 744 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

How does luke robinson never get selected people have short memories one of our best players last tour down under also in form at giants and i'd tomkins hall reed watkins briscoe widdop brough hill roby graham hock westwood burgess subs robinson (l) burgess ellis and farrell

#57 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

burrow gets selected ahead of robinson....

and we can't have hock & westwood on the pitch at the same time....

OLDHAM RLFC

#58 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,974 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Despite what has been said in the past few seasons I think this will be an "old guard" selection. Tried (tired?) and tested, few new names. Heck, even Gleeson might get a nod.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#59 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

who are the "old guard" these days?

OLDHAM RLFC

#60 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

who are the "old guard" these days?

Would only really class Morley as the "Old Guard" now. We have a pretty youthful squad compared to previous years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users