Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George burgess

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

who are the "old guard" these days?

I know it sounds disrespecful in a way, but I didn't mean it to be in most cases. Those who have been selected in most if not each England side over the past 3-4 series. Some deservingly so, some not so. The specifics I think of include Sinfield, McGuire, Burrow, Westwood, Carvell, O'Loughlin, Jones-Buchanan, Ablett, Wilkin, Roby, Graham. I'd go as far as to suggest Peacock, Morley and Gleeson will be in there too. Again, some are there on form and are consistently the best in their position, but who knows who will perform this year. Some names are included irrespective of their form.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#62 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I can't understand why ppl think u can't have hock and westwood on the field at the same time. The aussies always have a fierce pack and we have to have players who won't take a backwards step, will mix it if they have too and are the best in ther positions. Hands down them pair are the best 2nd rowers england have.

#63 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

cos they have no self control and are both penalty magnets.....start one & bench one

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#64 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

cos they have no self control and are both penalty magnets.....start one & bench one

i agree that it would be ideal to start Hock on the bench, but who do you have as the other starting second row?

#65 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

ellis

OLDHAM RLFC

#66 Leighton10

Leighton10
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Thts ur opinion. I think if we want to do well and try and compete then we have to have both starting. We have to utilise our world class players not bench them.

#67 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

World Class players can be more affective from the bench. Hock will be more affective against the Aussies from the bench I'm pretty sure of that, he has the ability to break the line and change the game.

If its the WC final England v Aus and the game gets fired up Hock and Westwood would cost us the game on the field at the same time. I can guarantee the Aussies will intentionally wind up the pair to get easy penalties.

On another point I'm liking the look of Westerman this season also, maybe he can be a shout at LF.

Even though this discussion is on going you can probably pick the England team now regardless of form.

Tomkins, Briscoe, Ablett, Reed, Hall, Sinfield, Chase, Graham, Roby Peacock (convinced to return) Westwood, S Burgess, Heighington Subs: Burrow, Jamie Jones Buchanan, Gareth Ellis, Wilkin

Edit: This is Mcnamaras team.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 27 February 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#68 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

The biggest problem facing England IMO is the half backs, barring injuries you can name the Aussie 6 and 7, thurston and Cronk and foran and Marshall for the kiwis. But England I haven't a clue, surely to god it wont be sinfield and chase?

#69 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Main issue for me is the centres and halves.
Sinfield and Rangi or Widdop and Brough?
I don't think you can mix and match them. Those pairings would work the best IMO.
There's also Myler pushing at the moment as well.

Then there's the centres. For me, none of them are really standing out at the moment. We've got a lot of above average centres, but no world class ones that could rival Senior in his day. I think this is where we will fall down defensively.
Posted Image

#70 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

The biggest problem facing England IMO is the half backs, barring injuries you can name the Aussie 6 and 7, thurston and Cronk and foran and Marshall for the kiwis. But England I haven't a clue, surely to god it wont be sinfield and chase?

stop talking about foran & marshall as if they are good....the only team they've beat while playing together is WALES!!!

OLDHAM RLFC

#71 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Main issue for me is the centres and halves.
Sinfield and Rangi or Widdop and Brough?
I don't think you can mix and match them. Those pairings would work the best IMO.
There's also Myler pushing at the moment as well.

Then there's the centres. For me, none of them are really standing out at the moment. We've got a lot of above average centres, but no world class ones that could rival Senior in his day. I think this is where we will fall down defensively.

Kallum Watkins isn't standing out? He'd be an absolute certainty for me if I were picking the England team today.

#72 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

i think 1-5 has already been picked in McNamaras head

1. tomkins
2. hall
3. reed
4. watkins
5. charnley

nowt wrong with that imo...

OLDHAM RLFC

#73 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

stop talking about foran & marshall as if they are good....the only team they've beat while playing together is WALES!!!

I'd take them for England in a heartbeat.

#74 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'd take them for England in a heartbeat.

let me get this straight....you'd take the kiwi 6&7 over englands.....even though this "magical" kiwi 6&7 have only ever beaten wales and never beaten australia or ENGLAND!!

dear me......unplug ur computer pal....

OLDHAM RLFC

#75 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,293 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

I'll throw something out there to be shot down - half-back pairing of Brough and Robinson. They would be used to playing together.

#76 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

brough is going to be playing for scotland

seriously...McNamara has spent the last 3 years playing the same 1,6,7,9 spine when possible......he's not going to change it with just 2 warm up games to go...plus he used his "back up players" in last years comp with wales & france.......our world cup squad is practically picked imo

OLDHAM RLFC

#77 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

let me get this straight....you'd take the kiwi 6&7 over englands.....even though this "magical" kiwi 6&7 have only ever beaten wales and never beaten australia or ENGLAND!!

dear me......unplug ur computer pal....

The Fact that Foran is only 22 years old and a rookie in a key position should not get in the way of things.
Out of his 7 games he has lost 4 to Oz and 2 to England (both in England) and as you say beat Wales.

Four out of Forans seven games are against Australia its hardly a good indication of his performances.

The Kiwis have won 3 from the last 20 against Australia so he is not necessarily the weakest link in his Test team.

As far as Benji goes he is one of the better players in the World, slightly higher up the scale than Chase.

Edited by AndyCapp, 28 February 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#78 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

It should be a good contest this World Cup with all three of the major teams having a chance.

If nothing else I hope every game gets a neutral Ref and video Ref, regardless of interpretations or experience.
Better a poor Ref than what has happened in recent years.

#79 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

If nothing else I hope every game gets a neutral Ref and video Ref, regardless of interpretations or experience.
Better a poor Ref than what has happened in recent years.

Then you are not a true Australian, please leave your passport on the way out.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#80 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:50 AM

Then you are not a true Australian, please leave your passport on the way out.

I hope England can win the World Cup, the game needs it more than anything else.
But it needs a win that is not contested by fans or the media based on home town Refs or Aussies Coaches wanting their own way.
I hate the whole Ref issue, its a shame there are not more French and Kiwi top shelf Refs.

If England can not win this WC or at least run it close it will make things tougher going forward in the International game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users