Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Referee spoiling the gane

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 852 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Town brilliant today, didn't get by Sheffield beaten by the referee! What a disagree to us the paying public!

#2 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

that display by the man in the middle today was nothing short of a disgrace,the man is inept.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#3 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

He was totally awful but lets be honest , we had more than enough chances in attack to make him redundant .

#4 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

aye fair shout David,we need a good win against our friends from Barra next week,we need to deny them a bp.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

We'll beat Barra on that . We're so nearly there ... So many good things to build on , just that cutting edge to get full value for all our hard graft over the full 80. Get that key piece of the jigsaw right and I can see someone getting a tanking . They were the champs and they were soooo there to be taken comfortably ... Aaaarghhhh

#6 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

N town for f##k sake take the 2 get the ball back calm things down they cant score with out the ball

#7 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,852 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Turley was certainly Sheffield's man of the match, especially in the 2nd half. He wasn't just inept he was totally out of his depth. He made several schoolboy errors but always in favour of Sheffield. He disallowed a try for Town under the sticks and gave us a penalty 3 yards from the line for a high tackle!!!!! Calderwood made a good catch up in the air and a Sheffield player jumped in to him causing him to come down on his shoulder and Turley is waving play-on. Even in the last minute they put up a high kick and a Town player knocked it forward and another Town player coming back picked the ball up and he allowed him to carry on.

Having said all that he didn't get any help from the other two people running about on the touchline with their little flags!!!!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#8 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

I think the ball to Carter was forward so he couldn't play on. It was a lottery but if we'd scored second half it would have taken him out of the game.

#9 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Agreed Fester . Bizarre , keep the scoreboard ticking !! We do tend to get a bit panicky at times . We need a general out there , should be Lupton really . Dunno who was making the calls . Was funny though early on when Carter forgot he was on kicking duty !!!!!

Edited by DavidM, 24 February 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#10 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

They were gona do the same at swinton by tappen it until fans were shouten for the two every time twos on offer when its a close match take them I no its boreing to watch but at the end ov the day if he took the two got the ball back its takes time off the clock play u six out put it in to touch up there end ov the field n let the other team try break our line

#11 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Yes some poor decisions today but lets face it most refs outside SL are poor. I can't blame the ref as if we had converted some of the good field position we had we would have won. Just one converted try would have done it.

#12 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

I can't help thinking that in this team Carter is our most potent central attacking weapon , but they don't get him involved enough in the final third . Look at top fullbacks like Tomkins and Slater , how they roam up the middle and get inside passes and plays put on for them . I know it's a different level but you can use the same moves . His footwork and elusiveness should be used more at the opposition end , not just running it out .Let him trail up the middle and get him the ball or kick for him . Anythings worth a go to look less predictable n static .Full back is a key attacking weapon in teams nowadays .

Edited by DavidM, 24 February 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#13 popside andrew

popside andrew
  • Players
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Town done enough to win the game, the Ref done enough to win sheffield the game!! the match dvd will substantiate these comments.
Shocking referee performance today, cheating at the lowest level, like fathesr like son!!!

#14 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

Ok the ref was -rap, I havent seen a good one yet, and as for his two little helpers well, thought one looked liked Woodsy, but it wasnt the ref who left gaps you could put a bus thru (twice), it wasnt the ref who took a tap (twice) infront of the sticks instead of the two, it wasnt the ref that knocked on with the line begging, yes he missed a lot but they all do, would we have been calling him if we had taken our chances, I dont know, I do know that in this league you have to take every chance that comes your way, make no mistakes, and play a bit more smarter.
It was a great performance by the boys today, and if the little things can be sorted, we are in for a great season, well done Town, onwards and upwards :)

#15 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

very well said hate the rec
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#16 anok4u

anok4u
  • Coach
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

I think if matty had been playing in our 2 home games we would have won both easy,we are not far away are we very promising..
go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

#17 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 872 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

very well said hate the rec

Thank you wonky.

#18 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

We could be good. Please can we have some set plays ?? Dummy runners? And some better kicks.

Excellent effort today thought we played well we just lack that little bit of creativeness, once we get that sorted we will be a very good team.

Up the Town!

Edited by Cato89, 24 February 2013 - 09:58 PM.

#19 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Posted this on the wrong thread.haha :/

#20 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Yes it is a persistent frustration when you see teams who aren't special and who you're dominating in territory and
possession but time after time can't nail down . It's a combination of coaching and personnel , but I'd blame the coaches more
for not recruiting in areas where it was blatantly obvious we needed more potency and strike ., at half and out wide , than their training methods .
If we had the creators and strike finishers behind this pack , a lot of the fluency and end product would take care of itself. We load up on power and size but we have
neglected the point creating and scoring element for a wee while in terms of quality and strength in depth . And when a couple of
injuries hit were filling in with woefully inadequate or out of position replacements. Only my opinion . Generally though these first few games have been broadly encouraging , although frustrating in that we should be getting more reward for our effort - but that's a sign
of how well we've competed . Maybe we could bring in an attack coach to bring a few fresh ideas , because if your hearing the same voices year on year you can get a bit stale and samey , as we sometimes look., and coaches run out of new things to say!

Edited by DavidM, 24 February 2013 - 10:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users