Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Referee spoiling the gane

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

Yes it is a persistent frustration when you see teams who aren't special and who you're dominating in territory and
possession but time after time can't nail down . It's a combination of coaching and personnel , but I'd blame the coaches more
for not recruiting in areas where it was blatantly obvious we needed more potency and strike ., at half and out wide , than their training methods .
If we had the creators and strike finishers behind this pack , a lot of the fluency and end product would take care of itself. We load up on power and size but we have
neglected the point creating and scoring element for a wee while in terms of quality and strength in depth . And when a couple of
injuries hit were filling in with woefully inadequate or out of position replacements. Only my opinion . Generally though these first few games have been broadly encouraging , although frustrating in that we should be getting more reward for our effort - but that's a sign
of how well we've competed . Maybe we could bring in an attack coach to bring a few fresh ideas , because if your hearing the same voices year on year you can get a bit stale and samey , as we sometimes look., and coaches run out of new things to say!

Attack coaches !?!?! I think you are being a bit harsh on Oggy & Charlo. Before the season started I would have taken your hands off if you had said that we would very nearly beat the champions 4 games into the season. I think we need to just look over our shoulders to see where we have been for the last decade and realise it will take more than one season to establish a Championship squad. Wait until we have our injured players back and it will give us the cutting edge to take the extra step. The more the players play together the tighter they will get in attack.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#22 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

Yeh it was late , not one of my best , but we do need to find extra to get what we deserve from our great efforts . Your looking at these teams thinking gee you may be top sides but your so beatable , and we have so many chances to do so but can't get the job done . It's a measure of how far we've come , but it is frustrating that teams your better than on the day are picking your pocket with a fraction of the chances your getting.

Edited by DavidM, 25 February 2013 - 09:34 AM.

#23 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 648 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Attack coaches !?!?! I think you are being a bit harsh on Oggy & Charlo. Before the season started I would have taken your hands off if you had said that we would very nearly beat the champions 4 games into the season. I think we need to just look over our shoulders to see where we have been for the last decade and realise it will take more than one season to establish a Championship squad. Wait until we have our injured players back and it will give us the cutting edge to take the extra step. The more the players play together the tighter they will get in attack.

I dont agree with an attack coach but we had no moves atall on yesterday actually none. We cant expect to beat teams by passing the ball to our props near the opposition line .we have to be smarter alot smarter with the ball and to me thats down to the coaches
I hope they can provide this...

#24 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I dont agree with an attack coach but we had no moves atall on yesterday actually none. We cant expect to beat teams by passing the ball to our props near the opposition line .we have to be smarter alot smarter with the ball and to me thats down to the coaches
I hope they can provide this...

No moves at all? So Coyle running onto Luptons pass wasn't a set move?? Sorry pal I know your frustrated that we aren't scoring bags of points, and I know what your saying with the props but I think you are being harsh on our coaches.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#25 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 648 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Yea ok but other than that try what did we have? throughout the game we very very rarely had a dummy runner and when we tried to pass out wide we were too slow, I believe our coaches can put some plays on , I want them to do well and i dont like having a go but its just how i feel about it. I know its a big step up and the defences are alot sharper than the likes of Gateshead,London etc but I believe we have a team capable of breaking defences down with some slick rugby...its just not happening at the moment.

#26 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I think it is small things that make the difference between us and the two top teams we have seen at DP this term. Remember the try we scored in the first minute against Halifax where we put a runner in to a gap and there was 3 or 4 others supporting him all the way? We haven't seen that since. We have two big strong second rowers who need to be put in to gaps not used as battering rams. That is down to the half-backs to draw players in and creat these gaps and in the first half yesterday I thought we did that a lot more but sadly it was non-existant in the second half.

Sheffield's winning score by Mitchell Stringer came out near the touchline. Would we ever see one of our props out on the wing flattening a smaller winger or back? I don't think for one minute Stringer was out there to take a rest so can only presume that it was planned that way.

We do have dummy runners but our problem is that we all know which players are the dummy runners and which players are going to get the ball. It needs mixed up a bit more because if we can spot it I'm sure other coaches spot it and cover it. Brett Phillips and Jarrad Stack had two and three tacklers on them all the game yesterday.

I still say that with a fair crack from Turley we would have won that game yesterday even though we made again some weak defensive errors and we have to learn from these games.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#27 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

All the refs are poor and yesterdays was typical but we still could,and should, have won by our own doing. Still a top effort against a fancied side though.

Edited by town4me, 25 February 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#28 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

All the refs are poor and yesterdays was typical but we still could,and should, have won by our own doing. Still a top effort against a fancied side though.

All the refs are not poor just some of them like to show they are the boss. No-one is saying that we didn't make mistakes but so did the ref and some of his altered the game. It only takes a couple of poor decisions that leads to possesion and position on the field to lead to a try and that certainly happened yesterday.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#29 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

I think the ball to Carter was forward so he couldn't play on. It was a lottery but if we'd scored second half it would have taken him out of the game.

That's what he gave.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#30 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

That's what he gave.

No it wasn't, he gave a penalty for a high tackle as we got the ball back.

#31 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

I think it is small things that make the difference between us and the two top teams we have seen at DP this term. Remember the try we scored in the first minute against Halifax where we put a runner in to a gap and there was 3 or 4 others supporting him all the way? We haven't seen that since. We have two big strong second rowers who need to be put in to gaps not used as battering rams. That is down to the half-backs to draw players in and creat these gaps and in the first half yesterday I thought we did that a lot more but sadly it was non-existant in the second half.

Sheffield's winning score by Mitchell Stringer came out near the touchline. Would we ever see one of our props out on the wing flattening a smaller winger or back? I don't think for one minute Stringer was out there to take a rest so can only presume that it was planned that way.

We do have dummy runners but our problem is that we all know which players are the dummy runners and which players are going to get the ball. It needs mixed up a bit more because if we can spot it I'm sure other coaches spot it and cover it. Brett Phillips and Jarrad Stack had two and three tacklers on them all the game yesterday.

I still say that with a fair crack from Turley we would have won that game yesterday even though we made again some weak defensive errors and we have to learn from these games.

a very good post Keith.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#32 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

No it wasn't, he gave a penalty for a high tackle as we got the ball back.

he gave a forward pass for the ball to carter which would have counted as our advantage play. therefore under new rules you bring the play back to the 1st offence(the high tackle). it didnt look forward to me and i personnally think he was covering his own error in calling the penalty too early.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#33 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,618 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

<sigh>

Edited by Griff, 25 February 2013 - 03:08 PM.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#34 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

having been to games and watched some on tv i think 3 in the tackle and a bit of lying on is the norm

#35 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Yes we're seeing what a huge part the wrestle and turtling the man are in this league . Doesn't make the best or free flowing spectacle but it's just another thing to come to terms with .

Edited by DavidM, 25 February 2013 - 03:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users