Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Attendance

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

What was it

#2 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:01 AM

683 in league express.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#3 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

that sounds about right as it was a lot lower than the halifax game, but that was mainly down to the complete lack of any sheffield fans. hopefully we get a big bumper crowd next sunday for barrow.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#4 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

i'll be there for sure...not sure im gonna like the result but i'll be there

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#5 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

Personally, I didn't think there was 300+ less than the Halifax match. I was thinking the crowd was around the 800 - 850 mark and it certainly looked a lot more than some of last years crowds which were around the 600 mark quite often.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#6 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hope so Morty , but this is one of those games that makes me nervous . It's ok playing Fax and Sheffield and taking
what you get , but now we have our first game when we have to win and are expected to do so. That brings its own
pressure , and of course Holty will target this game to. These are the games that keep you up or send you down .
Gonna be tense , just hope we start fast and get on the throat early. No excuses now , we have to deliver and start clicking in the final third.

Edited by DavidM, 25 February 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#7 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

David we have to start clicking from top to bottom

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#8 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

There was improvement on Thursday though wasn't there ?

#9 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Personally, I didn't think there was 300+ less than the Halifax match. I was thinking the crowd was around the 800 - 850 mark and it certainly looked a lot more than some of last years crowds which were around the 600 mark quite often.

My thinking as well Keith, we've seen plenty of 500 to 700 crowds before, I would have put money on it being over 800. Very disappointing if that was the attendance.

#10 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

It's a pity the level of support hasn't increased in line with the standard of rugby although it's still more than a lot of teams get to their home games. It's surprising how the teams survive under such circumstances

#11 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

No, I think that was about right sadly. Virtually no support from Sheffield and I guess we'll have lost some after the Halifax match as they will just want to see a winning side. Hope I'm wrong.

#12 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

No, I think that was about right sadly. Virtually no support from Sheffield and I guess we'll have lost some after the Halifax match as they will just want to see a winning side. Hope I'm wrong.

You would like to think people would come and watch a higher standard of Rugby, but as you said, it t's just a winning side they want. The Barrow attendances are proof of this, they must be down 30% on last year. Unfortunately there are only Fax, Fev and Leigh who will pull in over a thousand this year. It's amazing that you can lose 300 from the first game, I did hear one or two complaining about the admission price of £14, it's a lot of money when times are tight, but people have to realize that the higher the league we play in, the more it costs to put a team on the pitch. Swinton and Donny both charge £15, as do most in our division. I do think we could look at the concession price for kid's, we need to get them down to DP, they will be the future diehards like us.
I must comment on the Sheffield turnout of 10 fans ( I counted them) pathetic for a team who won the championship last year. :o

#13 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,780 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

We haven't yet got to the stage where the speedway starts running and that will see more people dropping off our attendances as people just can't afford to follow both sports on a regular basis.

Judging by the numbers who sit in pubs and watch soccer on a telly I think if we offered pints at £1 per pint we would get massive crowds!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#14 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Crowds have gone down big time 5 or 6 years back cas averaged over 5k widnes over 4k and there was haven , leigh , barrow and fax averaging over 2k and the rest of the league over 1k sadly the support as now dropped everywhere

#15 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

1900 at Salford on Sunday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users