Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

top 3 & bottom 3

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

just thought i would start a new thread as its quiet on here.

i just thought it would be interesting if people named their top 3 players who they most enjoyed watching for Barrow.

Also the bottom 3, as in the most dissappointing players to pull on a Barrow shirt when you thought they would have been amazing.

I was thinking of keeping this to players from the year 2000 onwards.

mine would be -

Top 3

James King (big aggressive awesome player)

Andy Ellis (best hooker to wear the 9 shirt at Barrow)

Jamie Rooney (awesome in 2009)

Bottom 3

Adam Hughes (huge let down after he had previously destroyed us when at Oldham)

Pat Weisner (should have been brilliant at Barrows standard)

Mark Gleeson (one good game in a barrow shirt, and thats being kind)

it will be interesting to see other peoples opinions.

#2 walneyboy

walneyboy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

mine go back a bit earlier than 2000

my top 3

1 Eddie Szymala my all time favourite player for barrow an absolute legend, i used to love it when he scored a try cos he did an immitation of a gunslinger, mental!! also he always started a fight and it got the crowd well fired up, unfortunately the miserable refs kept sending him off!!

2 Anthony Singleton came over here an unknown looked like a girl with his curly perm but had a sledge hammer of a hand off as i think half the whitheaven team can vouch for when he swatted them off like flies on his way to a full length try

3 Pat Trainor he had the best ever side step in the game, he used to spot the biggest bloke in the opposition team and run flat out straight at him!! I remember in a game at Barrow against widnes, when they were good, Andy Currier, an international thought he was gonna score a try but didn't reckon on Pat coming from nowhere and launching himself full tilt at him boooom!!! as far as i know currier never played international again after that tackle!!

my bottom 3

1 Paul Noone a most apt name but should have had a hyphen in the middle cos I would rather we had no-one than him! did absolutely nowt in all the games he played except prance around giving orders out to players around him. never returned the ball from his own half never broke a tackle and was always third man into most tackles but apparently he did the stuff you don't notice!!

2 Nigel Simpson a big roid head who played on the wing, over six feet and about 16 stone of juice induced muscles thought he was some kind of eddie szymala wannabe but was just a big thicko who couldn't play rugby (hope he's not still in barrow and reading this!!)

3 Sid Lowden not too many will remember this bloke signed for barrow because his dad was supposed to have been a good player!!! but by the looks of him I think the board signed his grandad!! played like a grandad too bloody hopeless!!

#3 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

pre 2000

Top 3( many many more as well)

Ian Ball
Steve Tickle
Andy Whittle

Bottom 3

Alun Evans
Jimmy Nulty
Steve Norton (well past his sell by date)

Post 2000

Top 3

Ned Catic
Michael Knowles
Bull

Bottom 3

Mark Gleeson
Mark Gleeson and errr

Mark Gleeson

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#4 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Top 3

1 Kevin Hastings

2 Andy Ellis

3 Andy Whittle

Bottom 3

1 Howard Burns

2 Mark Gleeson

3 Pat Weisner

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#5 walneyboy

walneyboy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

how about giving your reasons instead of just putting names down!
this has the potential to be the best thread on this board. I cant believe there's only been 4 comments on here too, surely everyone has an opinion on this subject, It's better than the boring threads on here like which director does the most work or which player is dual reg'd with which club.

how about holty and the vet making there comment on here too, there on here plenty so get your finger out and post!!

#6 beachy01

beachy01
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Best 3

Ned- even on an off day absolute class

James king- loved it when it got tough, always stood up to be counted

The bull- on his day unstoppable

Worst

The new signings in 2005 bar Freddie zitter- all average at best

Pat weisner- stole a living here

And last Ryan Tandy. Not for playing ability he was just an absolute #####, horrible to all younger lads

#7 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,134 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

pre 2000

Ian Ball - pure class going forward, superb goalkicker and tactical kicker
Steve Tickle - best never capped fullback during the early /mid eighties
Andy Whittle - again pure class with a brilliant sidestep cruelly career stopped short by injury

Bottom 3

Alun Evans - big puddin
Jimmy Nulty - so much promise when signed but injury buggered that up

Post 2000

Top 3

Ned Catic - brilliant forward
Michael Knowles - very underrated and showed how good he is by getting MoM in last years grand final
Bull - unstoppable on his day and megga consistant

Bottom 3

Mark Gleeson
Mark Gleeson and errr

Mark Gleeson - bloody rubbish

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#8 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 835 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

So where is mark Gleason at these days?

#9 The Vet

The Vet
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Mr Walneyboy it's been a pleasure to see you back on the board giving your refreshing opinions over the last week or so, from playing experiences from 1993-2007 in no particular order

TOP 3
Holty- best half back at the club in the last 20 years,great kicking game,clubs record points scorer and kept winning MOM's even when he wasn't!

Tane Manihera- THE most naturally talented player in the last 20 years,what he could do with the ball was ridiculous ,especially at training it would be like how has he just done that

Anthony Singleton- I played in that game at Haven and 'that' try is the best I have witnessed,if anyone has seen Ellery Hanleys try at the start of his career for Bradford when he handed off people down the touch line at Headingly,well that was the double of Singers

OTHERS WHO COULD HAVE BEEN SELECTED
Brett Mc
James King
Bull
Rod Maybon
Cliff Beverley

3 NOT AS GOOD
Clint Barends- Aussie half back who couldn't pass,run,kick or tackle
Shaun Magnus- same as Clint
Richard Blackman- winger who thought he was Matin Offiah,he obviously wasn't

3 MOST UNDERRATED
Mike Whitehead
Gary Spenceley
Darren Wilson

Posted Image

This My Friend Is A Broom-Handled Mouser

#10 barrowbob

barrowbob
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Top three -

Derek hadlee, best loose forward not to be an international. The guy was brilliant, even the try he should have scored when he celebrated before putting the ball down and the defender got back just in time to knock the ball loose is amazing. The kind of thing if you didn't see it the you wouldn't believe it.

Phil hogan - always destined for bigger things than barrow. Made the club a lot of money when signing for hull kr. His ginger locks were sat on the top of a very fast forward who could easily slot into centre.

Gary broadbent - class player, shame he only spent three seasons at barrow. Best fullback I've seen in a barrow shirt, tough as old nails. Would run straight at anyone when returning ball back. I'd like to see him in a coaching role at barrow at some point.

Bottom three

Sonny nickle - saints just took the ###### out of us there, I was really excited when he "signed" for us then the disappointment!

Pat weisner - start of the big Johnson signings along with smith who was also a let down. Also, he took the wazz out the club (like many others!). Comically left the club car at the airport!

Richard fletcher - destroyed us at Blackpool in the final, signs for us and does nothing. Huge let down! Came to us after being named in championship dream team. I was expecting him to do to teams what he had done to us down at the Blackpool final.

There's so many more I could list in a let down list but them ones there have always annoyed me.

#11 joe142

joe142
  • Coach
  • 393 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

TOP 3:

Broadbent, toughest player i've seen the game against fax where he got slammed into the wall head first and still came on in the 2nd half will stick in my memory for a long time!

Bull, always gives 100% really surprised he's stuck at this level and not gone higher for so long

Andy Ellis, nothing really needs to be said, absolute class

Bottom 3

Fat Pat, took the pee out of the club and was average at best

Gleason, absolute garbage! didn't have one good game for us!

Richard Fletcher, Made little impact and i bet he was on a fair packet while he was at us
If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough, when you get knocked down you gotta get back up...

#12 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

pre 2000

Ian Ball
Steve Tickle
Andy Whittle

Bottom 3

Alun Evans
Jimmy Nulty

Post 2000

Top 3

Ned Catic
Michael Knowles
Bull

Bottom 3

Mark Gleeson
Mark Gleeson and errr

Mark Gleeson

Morty,
Your credibility on this message board has suddenly hit an all time low. Your assessment of Steve Norton is extremely accurate - in fact he was so far past his sell by date that he never played for the club!! He came here as a coach and never appeared as a player for the club.

Posted Image

#13 walneyboy

walneyboy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

Mr Walneyboy it's been a pleasure to see you back on the board giving your refreshing opinions over the last week or so, from playing experiences from 1993-2007 in no particular order

Good to see you posting on this vet, some good names there, I do remember that clint barends and agree with you that he was useless, quite surprised you haven't mentioned terry bullen in there!!

I suppose if your mate holty posts he'll put you in his top three too!!

#14 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

My top 3

Bill Burgess - an absolutely superb winger who had few (if indeed any) peers in that position. He was up there with the likes of Boston, Van Vollenhoven et al and really was a class act.

Phil Hogan - at his peak there was no finer sight than Phil in full flight. He was a magnificent running forward who could also perform at centre. He was so good that Hull KR spent a world record £35,000 to buy him. To put that into perspective Barrow bought Ian Ball, Steve Tickle and Nigel French with the proceeds and still had some change left over.

Gary Broadbent - Along with Steve Tickle, Eddie Tees and Tommy Dawes, comfortably the best full back Barrow has had in my fifty odd years of watching. Gary just gets the nod even though he played for the club at a lower level than the other three. He was so, so reliable and consistent and I am certain he could have been as good in any era.

All three of the above would have a place in any Barrow team in any era in my opinion.

My bottom 3.

There have been some shockers and I wouldn't disagree too much with Phil Atky's assessment in this category.

Posted Image

#15 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

TOP 3

Ned Catic - Great player, great guy too
Andy Ballard - Superb winger, and that try at Castleford will live long in my memory
Broady - Never seen him have a bad game, fantastic full back

BOTTOM 3

Gleeson - Woeful, went missing more than Lord Lucan
Zeb Luisi - Can count the number of times he had a good game on my little finger
Holty (Only joking!) James Coyle - Thought he was average at best

#16 walneyboy

walneyboy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

TOP 3

Ned Catic - Great player, great guy too
Andy Ballard - Superb winger, and that try at Castleford will live long in my memory
Broady - Never seen him have a bad game, fantastic full back

BOTTOM 3

Gleeson - Woeful, went missing more than Lord Lucan
Zeb Luisi - Can count the number of times he had a good game on my little finger
Holty (Only joking!) James Coyle - Thought he was average at best

looks like youv'e only been watching for two years rooster!!

#17 rooster2003

rooster2003
  • Coach
  • 392 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Looks like you have a vendatta against Paul Noone walneyboy my old china!!, am sure you are obsessed with him

#18 walneyboy

walneyboy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Looks like you have a vendatta against Paul Noone walneyboy my old china!!, am sure you are obsessed with him

Just saying things as I see them rooster, a bit like you do with your obsession with holty!!

#19 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

This is the sort of thread a forum should be used for, not silly word games!

well done to those who have contributed so far.

Its also good that people have shared a little bit about the players such as WalneyBoy and The Vet have done.

it also interesting to read that Tandy used to bully Beechy, Tandy certainly never bullied anyone on the pitch for Barrow!

quite shocked that Rooster has named Luisi in his bottom 3, i always though big Zeb was good.

#20 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

Top 3 in no order

Ned Catic

Andy Ellis

Gary Broadbent

Bottom 3

Matt Blake

Brad Nichols (the Aussie)