• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 UnclesUndies

UnclesUndies
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Top 3
1. Steve Tickle - IMO Barrow's best ever fullback, shocking that he never got a look in for the GB team
2. David Cairns - Australian 82 team rated him highly when Barrow played the Aussies at Craven Park, they were surprised that he didn't play the test series that year.
3. Chris Camilleri - Best & fastest winger that I've seen in a Barrow shirt, pity he didn't stay for longer. Represented GB whilst at Barrow, think he scored on his debut.

Bottom 3
1. Gleeson - enough already said.
2. Adam Hughes - Obviously didn't come to the Raiders for Rugby reasons
3. Pat Weisner - enough already said.

#22 beachy01

beachy01
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

This is the sort of thread a forum should be used for, not silly word games!

well done to those who have contributed so far.

Its also good that people have shared a little bit about the players such as WalneyBoy and The Vet have done.

it also interesting to read that Tandy used to bully Beechy, Tandy certainly never bullied anyone on the pitch for Barrow!

quite shocked that Rooster has named Luisi in his bottom 3, i always though big Zeb was good.

haha he never bullied me, he was just a knob to all the younger lads at the time!

#23 walneyboy

walneyboy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

haha he never bullied me, he was just a knob to all the younger lads at the time!

sounds to me like your in denial beechy!!

As for gleeson, he seems to be the most popular for there worst player and i can't disagree with that, I remember when he played against us for halifax I thought he was Quality but he obviously was interested in other activities when he came to Barrow. I saw him the season after he left us on a sunday afternoon in hyde, manchester, he was with sean long walking down the street looked like he was smashed out of his head at the time and not on drink either!!

#24 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 775 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Top 3
Bull
Gary Broadbent
and TBH could pick any of Andy Ballard,KamalGanley(never forget his length of the field try against Keighley) Andy Ellis Darren H ,Ian Ball and Many many more
Bottom 3
I am surprised I am the first to mention Micheal Smith:- Over hyped over rated under performer
Pat Winsner:- arrogant overweight waste of space
Simon Knox ;- deserter

Edited by Plan of Attack, 26 February 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#25 beachy01

beachy01
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

haha walneyboy your a breath of fresh air at times but on this occasion your wrong :-)

POA u tell me all the time your a diehard supporter, are u sure the kamal try u refer to was swinton?i think not :-)

Edited by beachy01, 26 February 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#26 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Morty,
Your credibility on this message board has suddenly hit an all time low. Your assessment of Steve Norton is extremely accurate - in fact he was so far past his sell by date that he never played for the club!! He came here as a coach and never appeared as a player for the club.

Jesus I thought my credibility couldnt get any lower Keith :rolleyes:

I was sure he played but you know much better that I mate.

I will change that to Richard Fletcher then

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#27 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Jesus I thought my credibility couldnt get any lower Keith :rolleyes:

I was sure he played but you know much better that I mate.

I will change that to Richard Fletcher then

LOL Morty.

He was taken on as coach and i guess the hope was he might play but he never did.

I wish we had signed him at his peak because he really was on of the great players in the world at one time. A class act for sure.

Posted Image

#28 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

haha walneyboy your a breath of fresh air at times but on this occasion your wrong :-)

POA u tell me all the time your a diehard supporter, are u sure the kamal try u refer to was swinton?i think not :-)

I have a feeling it was against Blackpool Nick (though can't be certain of anything at my age LOL). Whoever it was against it was one of the best tries I have ever seen scored by a Barrow player that's for sure.

Posted Image

#29 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

sounds to me like your in denial beechy!!

As for gleeson, he seems to be the most popular for there worst player and i can't disagree with that, I remember when he played against us for halifax I thought he was Quality but he obviously was interested in other activities when he came to Barrow. I saw him the season after he left us on a sunday afternoon in hyde, manchester, he was with sean long walking down the street looked like he was smashed out of his head at the time and not on drink either!!

quite worrying that you would go to Hyde WalneyBoy, when i think of hyde, i immediately think of Harold Shipman. Strange.

Gleeson was always the hooker i was always more fearful of when we played fax, then he came to us, went poo and penkywics (howerever you spell it) turned awesome.
I think people wanted Gleeson to be the hooker we never had since Ellis left, and he never managed it.

#30 beachy01

beachy01
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

I have a feeling it was against Blackpool Nick (though can't be certain of anything at my age LOL). Whoever it was against it was one of the best tries I have ever seen scored by a Barrow player that's for sure.

it was keighley at home, ran across his own line, round everyone down the line then cut inside the fullback and ran under the posts all in about 11 seconds, was pure class kamal and a proper nice guy aswell!!

Edited by beachy01, 26 February 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#31 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

it was keighley at home, ran across his own line, round everyone down the line then cut inside the fullback and ran under the posts all in about 11 seconds, was pure class kamal and a proper nice guy aswell!!

i used to see him skateboarding around town!
think he was a teacher??

#32 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Yep you are correct it was Keighley Nick. I have it on dvd at home in my collection. I remember at the time, when he ran across his own line, turning to Dean and saying "where is that idiot going" :). As you describe the rest was history. Amazing try by any standard.

Posted Image

#33 walneyboy

walneyboy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

BangBang and Top Chef,
give a reason for your selections of players, surely you have your reasons for choosing them in the first place! failure to do so will render your posts worthless. even beechy came out with his own reasons even though one of them was as a result of mental abuse towards him and this would obviously sway his judgement of the bloke.

#34 beachy01

beachy01
  • Players
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

one that would have been in there but didnt really see enough of him in a barrow shirt, cliff beverley(sp) absolute class act with and without ball in hand

#35 bangbang

bangbang
  • Coach
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

BangBang and Top Chef,
give a reason for your selections of players, surely you have your reasons for choosing them in the first place! failure to do so will render your posts worthless. even beechy came out with his own reasons even though one of them was as a result of mental abuse towards him and this would obviously sway his judgement of the bloke.

Ned Catic Never had a bad game always remember him giving fans training gear after the Cas game

Andy Ellis should be playing super league imo, top player

Gary Broadbent 110% every game ran in like a prop forward dropped 3 balls in his time in a Raiders shirt

Bottom 3

Matt Blake
massive forward hurt his elbow early on in the season never came back from it (Soft Aussie)

Brad Nichols (the Aussie). ###### could throw a 30 yard pass but was always forward.

Walneyboy I am going to change Brad for John Warriner the kiwi who came with Matt Ashe he was shocking should never have got paid for playing rugby he was close to that Glen Riley we had on trail but as he never signed it goes to Mr Warriner

Mark Gleeson never lived up to the hype which he came with no wonder Fax were happy to have him of there books

Rip the bludgers heads off!

#36 joe142

joe142
  • Coach
  • 394 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

another shocker... that crazy guy we had on the wing/centre was it ian bell? guy was nuts
If you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough, when you get knocked down you gotta get back up...

#37 blue forever

blue forever
  • Coach
  • 1,001 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Top 3:

Stuart Rhodes-At his peak was an animal, really intimidated opponents, and could break the line with ease(especially off Charlo's short passes).
Tane Manihera-Magician with ball in hand.
Anthony Singleton-Great tackler.

Bottom 3:
Pat Weisner-Laziest player ive seen with us, yet was so good for Leigh and Hull KR
Clint Barends-Did nothing!
Simon Knox-Took the money and ran.

Good thread this and very hard in both sections to narrow it down to 3
I dont want to join the army...

Posted Image

#38 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

Sorry for not adhering to the rules. I'll try again.

My opinion is this:

Top 3

1 Kevin Hastings (The best player I've seen in a Barra shirt. The best half/hooker never to play for Auastralia - Aussies opinions).

2 Andy Ellis (Will be contentious, I know, but the best Briton I've seen in a Barra shirt. Never stopped working, ever. Tough as teak for a slight guy, just like Broady. Has all the skills required for his position and more).

3 Andy Whittle (The best local not to have played for Great Britain, Outstanding centre against some great players when Barra played with the big boys in the early eighties. I could also have included Dave Cairns and Derek Hadley here. Andy's time as a player was so cruelly cut short by injury).

Bottom 3

1 Howard Burns (Great for Worky, Poor for us).

2 Mark Gleeson (Others have given valid reasons for his inclusion in this category that I would have used).

3 Pat Weisner (Others have given valid reasons for his inclusion in this category that I would have used).

The second category could've contained a lot of less-than-good players who have passed themselves off as rugby players.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

#39 barrowbob

barrowbob
  • Coach
  • 410 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hastings was class, had it all!
Singleton was also pure class,
When you think back over the years, there has been some outstanding players at barrow then to go to the other extreme we've had some awful players.

#40 topchef

topchef
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Hastings was class, had it all!
Singleton was also pure class,
When you think back over the years, there has been some outstanding players at barrow then to go to the other extreme we've had some awful players.

I think its been done before but when this thread has run its course an all-time Barrow team to take on the best of Soopa League may be interesting. Unfortunately for us long time speccies there are a lot more candidates for the second lot than the first. :)

Moff
Go Cumbria!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users