Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

top 3 & bottom 3

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder
  • Coach
  • 457 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hard one this - I think my Top 3 would be any three from the following

David Cairns for playing Andy Gregory off the park
Eddie Szymala for "dealing" with Kevin Tamati
Ian Ball for that try at Headingly to sort out Hull FC in the JP Semi Final
Derek Hadley for making the Aussies breath a sigh of relief when he wasn't picked for GB
Malcolm Flynn for the hardest tackles I have ever seen
Steve Tickle for being Barrow's best ever full back
Andy Whittle for the excitement whenever he touched the ball
Kevin Hastings for being the best Aussie we have ever had - sorry Ned
Chris Camilleri - World Class, watched him score for GB against NZ

Worst Ever
Howard Burns - came and took the money
Simon Knox - came and took the money
Pat Weisner - came and took the money and the car

Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

another shocker... that crazy guy we had on the wing/centre was it ian bell? guy was nuts

I thought Bell was quality just was a nut case off the field. Could of made it in SL with some dedication, didn't he get put in prison?

#43 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 852 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Pat weisner the guy had it all it seems a big kite and a lotta wages

#44 bwa

bwa
  • Coach
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

mine go back a bit earlier than 2000

my top 3

1 Eddie Szymala my all time favourite player for barrow an absolute legend, i used to love it when he scored a try cos he did an immitation of a gunslinger, mental!! also he always started a fight and it got the crowd well fired up, unfortunately the miserable refs kept sending him off!!

2 Anthony Singleton came over here an unknown looked like a girl with his curly perm but had a sledge hammer of a hand off as i think half the whitheaven team can vouch for when he swatted them off like flies on his way to a full length try

3 Pat Trainor he had the best ever side step in the game, he used to spot the biggest bloke in the opposition team and run flat out straight at him!! I remember in a game at Barrow against widnes, when they were good, Andy Currier, an international thought he was gonna score a try but didn't reckon on Pat coming from nowhere and launching himself full tilt at him boooom!!! as far as i know currier never played international again after that tackle!!

my bottom 3

1 Paul Noone a most apt name but should have had a hyphen in the middle cos I would rather we had no-one than him! did absolutely nowt in all the games he played except prance around giving orders out to players around him. never returned the ball from his own half never broke a tackle and was always third man into most tackles but apparently he did the stuff you don't notice!!

2 Nigel Simpson a big roid head who played on the wing, over six feet and about 16 stone of juice induced muscles thought he was some kind of eddie szymala wannabe but was just a big thicko who couldn't play rugby (hope he's not still in barrow and reading this!!)

3 Sid Lowden not too many will remember this bloke signed for barrow because his dad was supposed to have been a good player!!! but by the looks of him I think the board signed his grandad!! played like a grandad too bloody hopeless!!

Wow, Anthony Sigleton, I remember that full length try, Fantastic !!!!! (What year was that by the way)?

#45 UnclesUndies

UnclesUndies
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Surprised that New Zealand's Ron O'Regan hasn't appeared on anyone's list, quality player for Barrow in the early eighties. Went on to represent New Zealand.

#46 thespecimen

thespecimen
  • Coach
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

Cant argue with anyone you have picked there Shipbuilder
you have it spot on.
Mal Flynn was my favourite Barrow player the hardest tackler i have ever seen
i'd add Steve Herbert to the selections for the Top 3

#47 goudie

goudie
  • Coach
  • 525 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hard one this - I think my Top 3 would be any three from the following

David Cairns for playing Andy Gregory off the park
Eddie Szymala for "dealing" with Kevin Tamati
Ian Ball for that try at Headingly to sort out Hull FC in the JP Semi Final
Derek Hadley for making the Aussies breath a sigh of relief when he wasn't picked for GB
Malcolm Flynn for the hardest tackles I have ever seen
Steve Tickle for being Barrow's best ever full back
Andy Whittle for the excitement whenever he touched the ball
Kevin Hastings for being the best Aussie we have ever had - sorry Ned
Chris Camilleri - World Class, watched him score for GB against NZ

Worst Ever
Howard Burns - came and took the money
Simon Knox - came and took the money
Pat Weisner - came and took the money and the car

Couldn't agree more Kev,
The late 70s up until the mid 80s were my youth and i followed the rugger all over ( With Fitzy ) Happy day's.
Also i would like to add Big Rip Kirby, Another very hard tackler.!!
Goudie

Posted Image

BARROW RAIDER's
CHAMPIONSHIP WINNER's
NORTHERN RAIL CUP FINALIST's
CHAMPIONSHIP GRAND FINAL WINNER's

Stevo say's: I cant see anything but a win for Castleford!!!

#48 the man

the man
  • Coach
  • 639 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Top 3

Derek Hadley.. in the days of creative loose forwards he was right up there with the likes of Pinner and Norton. His performance against Australia in 82 made the Aussies think he was a cert for a Test spot. Sometimes didn't know what he was going to do himself but then neither did the opposition. Could still fool defences in his late 40s with the dummy where he threw the ball in the air to himself. Dedicated professional who was still amongst the fittest at Barrow in his late 30s and a gentleman too.

Malcolm Flynn.. probably the hardest tackler I've seen in a Barrow shirt. When he hit right there was often gasps from the crowd and more often than not the oppostion crumpled in a heap. Came to do a coaching session at my mini rugby club on tackling technique a week before a final and unfortunately his technique was too good, breaking one of my team mates arm.

Brett McDermott... was lucky enough to be at the club when he joined as a scrawny kid and saw him progress through the ranks. Got a bit of a beating in an A-team game against Hunslet and a massive shiner but he didn't back down. Another lad with dedication, staying teetotal as a teenager when there was a lot of peer pressure on the away trips to indulge on the way home. Was a tremendous tackler at an early age and but for injuries at the wrong time would surely have made Super League. His hit on Barrie McDermott with live long in the memory bank.

Honourable mentions to Eddie Szymala and Steve Tickle but I can only pick 3

Bottom 3

Syd Lowden... was signed on the back of a brilliant Rugby Union performance up the coast when he kicked the opposition to death. Unfortunately kicking to touch on the full in open play is not a desired attribute for league. Remember Denis Jackson, our Colts coach at the time, taking him to one side during a training session and trying to teach him how to tackle. He simply didn't know how to. He also picked up a massive signing on fee, don't blame the bloke but the directors clearly hadn't done their homework.

Billy Melling... signed from Wigan in the early 80s and I seem to recall him having one very good game on his debut. I don't recall him having a second good game. I once watched his every move in an evening A team fixture and he did absolutely nothing.

Shaun Magnus... looked a bit like Alan Langer but that's where the similarities stopped. Made the team purely on Peter Roe's affection for Aussie accents but should have stuck to backpacking. A bit harsh perhaps but fair.

Posted Image

#49 raiders4sl

raiders4sl
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Wow, Anthony Sigleton, I remember that full length try, Fantastic !!!!! (What year was that by the way)?

Probably about '91-ish.

#50 The Vet

The Vet
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

1993-94 season

Posted Image

This My Friend Is A Broom-Handled Mouser

#51 beachy01

beachy01
  • Players
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Another 1 to add to the 3 worst. Nick Owen. Cud kick but that's it. Wudnt go in tackling drills with anyone the same size or bigger than him

#52 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

tell you one of the best Aussies we have ever had......Tony Elliott....usually played at 10 - Hard as nails and ran straight and true..wish we had another like him now :rolleyes:

Edited by morty, 27 February 2013 - 08:40 PM.

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#53 walneyboy

walneyboy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Bottom 3

Syd Lowden... was signed on the back of a brilliant Rugby Union performance up the coast when he kicked the opposition to death. Unfortunately kicking to touch on the full in open play is not a desired attribute for league. Remember Denis Jackson, our Colts coach at the time, taking him to one side during a training session and trying to teach him how to tackle. He simply didn't know how to. He also picked up a massive signing on fee, don't blame the bloke but the directors clearly hadn't done their homework.

glad someone else picked up on that particular signing. I remember we were getitng beat by about 3 points in a game with about a minute left on the clock, we were awarded a penalty about 30 metres out and right on the touch line instead of taking a tap lowden went for the goal!!! he missed it by the way and we obviously got beat!! thats the only thing of note he did in a barrow. shirt

#54 Gus Tyson

Gus Tyson
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

some really good players mentioned so far, and some real shockers too!

ive logged on this page a few times and Soss and Michael Ashton have been looking a few times but not yet posted, come on chaps, its the sort of thread which anyone can get involved in, not like this pointless threads of word games and what the attendance was at london, who cares, this is where everyone can share stories and opinions, come on Nasher, lets hear your views.

#55 walneyboy

walneyboy
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:50 AM

some really good players mentioned so far, and some real shockers too!

ive logged on this page a few times and Soss and Michael Ashton have been looking a few times but not yet posted, come on chaps, its the sort of thread which anyone can get involved in, not like this pointless threads of word games and what the attendance was at london, who cares, this is where everyone can share stories and opinions, come on Nasher, lets hear your views.

yeah I've noticed that too Gus, if theyr'e not talking about the articles of assoaciation or the merits of being a debenture holder then they don't seem to have anything to talk about!!
I've noticed that the workington forum have copied this thread and are naming their top and bottom 3 players. just shows what a good thread this is
get your finger out nasher and post something worthwhile for a change!!

#56 RAIDERSRUS

RAIDERSRUS
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

It is a good thread this but if people don't want to post they don't have too, just like you don't have to look at the stupid word game! At the moment I'm struggling to come up with my top 3 and worst 3. I can't really argue with what people have posted already though on both fronts however some are from before my time, I've only been going since 93/94.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users