• 1,607 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

Sheffield 46 Knights 14 FT.

#23 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

We had to do that st time we were there.

You buy tickets at a table at the far end of a massive empty room - they watch you walk the full length, very unnerving. Then you get bundled into the tiniest cage like turnstile, to wave the ticket at who knows what to open one end of the cage - nobody tells you what you're supposed to do, they just stand there, tutting.

A part of me died in those turnstiles...

The table is no longer at the far end, but now there are more people watching you, all sat or stood in silence. Very unnerving indeed. Thought I was at an audition.

#24 Big Ron

Big Ron
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

could not fault the lads commitment last knight a couple of injuries did not help thought elliot put in a great stint till his injury they looked a good outfit to be honest and over 1000 there why cant we get the crowds like that

#25 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:32 PM

could not fault the lads commitment last knight a couple of injuries did not help thought elliot put in a great stint till his injury they looked a good outfit to be honest and over 1000 there why cant we get the crowds like that

If I'm honest, I thought it was a pretty poor attendance for the current champions at a Premier League quality ground in the middle of the city.
Posted Image

#26 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

Oh touché
:D

I think the comment about being glad to have a stadium next year regarded Sheffield, not York. Don Valley is being knocked down - confirmation of which came through just as last night's game kicked off (following Sheffield council meeting). Who knows where Eagles will be able to play.

Story is here although (unsurprisingly) the Telegraph makes no mention of rugby league http://www.telegraph...-cost-cuts.html

#27 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Anyway, match reaction and report can be found off here http://www.yorkpress...orkcityknights/

#28 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

A) we struggle with crowds because most want a guaranteed win before they're willing to take it up with the wife.
B) 1000 is p++s poor but it was a friday night- Mightve been 1010 had it been on a sunday.
C) at least we live in York.

#29 jiggyknight

jiggyknight
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

A) we struggle with crowds because most want a guaranteed win before they're willing to take it up with the wife.
B) 1000 is p++s poor but it was a friday night- Mightve been 1010 had it been on a sunday.

totally agree it only last night I missed as I took my daughter to see disney on ice thought go a Friday no rugby Sod's law it falling day york play sheffield gutted but true what you say wins get the crowd back just look at the season we won the league 2000 plus and average 300 hundred away fans happy days.

#30 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

I think the comment about being glad to have a stadium next year regarded Sheffield, not York. Don Valley is being knocked down - confirmation of which came through just as last night's game kicked off (following Sheffield council meeting). Who knows where Eagles will be able to play.

Story is here although (unsurprisingly) the Telegraph makes no mention of rugby league http://www.telegraph...-cost-cuts.html

Eagles are hoping the the Council will sanction a new stadium to replace DV but have contingency plans to play at Woodbourn Athletics Stadium next season ( It's where Jess Ennis trains ). I asked about Owlerton where they used to play but there is no safety certificate to facilitate RL there now.

#31 Big Ron

Big Ron
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

well if 1009 is p777 poor 3 to 4oo is pathetic we should call it a day

#32 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Half the spectators at a Sheff home game are on of the Sheff squads anyway - and these are this years team to beat, yet as said above, 2000 when lowly York won the league below. So yeah, P++s poor.

Winter though, and a friday. Summer will be better attendances everywhere

#33 GAZ1983

GAZ1983
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

you'll get ya chance Good Friday mate...check the fixtures!!! ;)

#34 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:56 AM

Just back from 3 days Peak District walking & the match, felt a bit sorry for the lads, didn'y
deserve that final score, thought Danny Nicklas was excellent & George Elliot went really well
until he was injured.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users