RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Help the refs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 burke

burke
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

We all know that the refs job is very very difficult. I hate that all we seem to hear from fans, coaches, media etc is about how poor a ref was, how the ref cost us the game etc etc. My starting point is that refs are going to make mistakes, forward passes for example must be very very difficult when the ref is stood in front of the play. I accept that refs will make mistakes and thats ok, we cannot expect them to be perfect. I also do not beleive that they are ` bent ` , if I thought for one second that they were then there is no point in following the sport.

I think the vast majority of the problems are caused by the holding down and not standing square ` laws `. I have watched every single SL tv game this season and watched all Wakefields games live. I watched the World Club Cup game which was managed very well by Ben Thaler, it was a great game because Thaler did not get involved with blowing up for holding down or not standing square. As a result the Leeds players soon stopped trying to milk a penalty and just got on with it, they were great to watch. Was Thaler told to ref the game like this because every other game I have watched this season has been refereed in a totaly different maner. I would say they have been spolit, because we are seeing 20 penalties for holding down or not standing square. Players are acting to get penalties, players are getting high fives and back slaps from their team mates when they win a holding down penalty. It is spoiling the game.

Refs need help, basicaly they could blow up 90 % of play of the balls if they wanted, so I say they should watch the World Cup Game and be told to let holding down go unless it is one of those very obvious situations where typically a fullback lays on a winger for 5 seconds waiting for his team mates to get back, never penalise not standing square. This would reduce the number of pens per game from 20 plus down to 5 ish. Players would stop trying to win penalties and have to play nore rugby. It would also give us more chance against the Aussies, it is very rare to see a penalty for holding down in the NRL, so they have to be creative away from the ruck area.We need our SL teams to stop relying on winning the penalty count and improve their creative Rugby skills.

Poor old Ricahrd Silverwood made a few mistakes on Sunday, and thats ok, he was doing his best, he was not biased towards one side or the other, but he did give 21 penalties, at least 15 were for holding down and not one of those would have been given by Thaler in Fridays game, or the CC final or the Grand final. These 15 penalties encouraged players to play act at the ruck and got both sets of supporters on the refs back and make the ref the focal point. Can we just play Rugby, as a fan I am not bothered if a player take 1 second or 3 seconds to play the ball, but now we get fans baying for a penalty to be given at every tackle. We also need to stop the acting halfs running directly at a marker in order to win a penalty, if the acting half decides to run at a marker who is half a yard not square, so what, he should be encouaged to pass the ball rather than win a penalty.

Lets make life easier for our refs.

#2 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

It would help if the laws of the game as it is actually played were written down somewhere in an easy to understand format.

As it stands, the laws of the game are an arcane mystery.

That's me.  I'm done.

#3 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

To be honest if you don't 'ping' players for holding down, not standing square or all the rest they'll just hold down for even longer and not bother getting square at all. The problem isn't the number of penalties but the inconsistency; if players were told absolutely and very firmly that if the ball didn't touch the foot at the ptb they would be penalised, you wouldn't have forty penalties but you'd have the ball touching the foot. Same goes for holding down; players are looking for an advantage and as long as they perceive that there is a fair chance of getting away with it, they will try it on. It's not rocket science.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

The trouble is, if you get a lot of penalties in a match, it's always the referee's fault for blowing the whistle too much, not the players' fault for breaking the laws!

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#5 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

The trouble is, if you get a lot of penalties in a match, it's always the referee's fault for blowing the whistle too much, not the players' fault for breaking the laws!

I think sometimes you do have to look at how games are refereed. By ignoring offences it, to some extent, gives the green light to the players and then the ref finds it hard or impossible to regain control. It is, I guess, my bête noir, but ask why is it that the under eights can play the ball with the foot just about all the time but full time pros can't? The answer is that sinced refs largely ignore the offence, players don't bother either - why would they? If it were laid down, in no uncertain manner, that it was no longer going to be tolerated the SL would immediately become as good as the under eights.

#6 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Why not try 2refs in the middle surely 4eyes is better than 2 ;)
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

It isn't called Help the Refs anymore, it's Ref UK.

HTH.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

Personally, I've thought for some time that we don't need all these ptb rules. They were fine when the ptb was - in effect - a two man scrum but it's uncontested now. Sure, it's not a free for all but some review of what we need could be useful.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#9 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Just to be clear, the best way to help referees is to point out whenever opposition players pass the ball forwards.

#10 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

I'm always trying to help the ref, I'm always shouting "gerr 'em on side" or "gerroff 'im".

I even give practical life advice like "open your eyes" or "buy some specs".

They never listen, I'm beginning to think that they don't want to be helped.

#11 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I'm always trying to help the ref, I'm always shouting "gerr 'em on side" or "gerroff 'im".

You are suffering from what I call rugby league tourettes ;-)

#12 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users