Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New signing

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#141 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Looks like i hit the wrong key should have been a break.

#142 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,736 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Bit raw on Hulme . Could do worse than shifting him into the halves with Lupton then if this kid wants to play centre. I feel he's really got something but he's getting less n less involvement way out there , but everything he does looks assured . Nothing wrong with trying things if it isn't working in the middle . Just seems worth a go with Hulmes footwork and running skills to have a look at him more centrally .If it isnt working freshen it up .And at the moment it just isn't . And it's ok having a new centre , but we still need the talent to get the ball to him . I'm convinced now Coyle isn't the solution . I dunno , maybe there easing this kid in at centre before shifting him in to the middle in time.

Edited by DavidM, 08 March 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#143 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 807 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

As you say DAVID M it might seem a bit raw on HULME but after all he is a DR.

#144 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,770 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

I thought we were signing him for the half-back position because he has, apparently, a good kicking game (and he's also a goal kicker). As DavidM says maybe we are breaking him in to the Championship at centre before trying him at 6 or 7.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#145 wonderofwood

wonderofwood
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

As you say DAVID M it might seem a bit raw on HULME but after all he is a DR.

That's right Abu - unfortunately when your Duel reg and can only attend an hour session the day before a game it becomes very difficult to be in contention for a squad place when all the full time squad are fit and just as importantly getting paid by the club . But I do agree with DavidM, Hulme has got something in his locker and having watched his progress over the years it will only be a matter of time before he gets an opportunity to show his worth . Whether that be at SL level or Championship level i'm not sure - only time will tell. A years loan away from Widnes might have suited better and possibly something that could be arranged in the next month as I believe he finishes his university studies by then ??

#146 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,770 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

That's right Abu - unfortunately when your Duel reg and can only attend an hour session the day before a game it becomes very difficult to be in contention for a squad place when all the full time squad are fit and just as importantly getting paid by the club . But I do agree with DavidM, Hulme has got something in his locker and having watched his progress over the years it will only be a matter of time before he gets an opportunity to show his worth . Whether that be at SL level or Championship level i'm not sure - only time will tell. A years loan away from Widnes might have suited better and possibly something that could be arranged in the next month as I believe he finishes his university studies by then ??

Well the lad certainly has the talent wonderofwood as he has shown us in glimpses in matches against some strong Championship opposition, so yes, I think him being at Town for the full season would be beneficial to both the club and the player.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#147 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'm not so sure about moving mossop to the wing and fitting Connor into the centres which is what the haven fanzine says is happening. Morris and mossop doin ok in centres IMO.

#148 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

Well 3rd hand from the horses mouth (if that makes sense) I was told he said his preferred position is centre but he can also play stand off.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#149 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Scrap the above post as I've just read the star article - doh!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#150 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

i always thought jason should get a chance on the wing. he played there against crusaders away and was the best player on the pitch and got towns mom. surely they never signed connor to play centre when you have rooney to come back,morris and mossop(millers back for the wing in a week or 2).

Edited by wonky, 08 March 2013 - 01:42 PM.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#151 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,736 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

I've got to agree wonky , surely we want a Brisbane Bronco product and Queensland Cup grand final player to pull the the strings for us in the middle ?? Hopefully he's bedding in , but we need to get full value from him . Centres don't exactly get to shine much in our team. Will be an interesting one as it develops certainly but he may have to be told he's a half !!

Edited by DavidM, 08 March 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#152 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,736 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

In fact the more I think the more I'm convinced he'll gravitate to 6 . It's not a monumental shift from 3 . Look at King Kenny , he did it . If your good you have the skills to do it .

#153 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

Just strayed into the jamhaven section on the ###### and star website....i see there's a pic of SJP and his grandad on one of the stories. He must've come over for a holiday to see his lads lad play

#154 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

There is no way he is in his 30's....no chance!he looks about 50
Haha

#155 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:31 PM

There is no way he is in his 30's....no chance!he looks about 50
Haha

32 according to the jam fans.

#156 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

slept for 10 years.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#157 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

We will have to offer a prize for who can find out how old Rodney trotter is. His grandson will be chuffed he is over here to keep him company

#158 bluewhite10

bluewhite10
  • Workington
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

I know one thing I wouldnt like a hit of his greet melon head
bluewhitearmy

#159 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:53 AM

Him and Ian Torley in a headbutting comp! It'd set off earthquake warning alarms the world over

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users