Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dual Reg -again!

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

In todays RL Express there was a story about Fev, Fax, Leigh and Sheffield having put together their ideas of how the Dual Reg system should operate after they had held a meeting to discuss it. They invited Barrow to attend but they couldn't because it was their match day v Batley. The "gang of four" have now come up with a document outlining what they want to see happen and are asking all the other Championship clubs to sign it in support.

My own personal feelings are that they are not far off what should be the system but until they invite ALL the Championship clubs to meet then I would not sign it. We get enough foisted on us by the RFL and SLE without the top clubs in the Championship wanting it all their own way as well, going off and having meetings on their own!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#2 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

I've not seen the article yet Keith, but if its around limiting the number of players and the age of players then I'd agree that something has t be done. I'd also put a proviso in around the number of SL appearances.

I'd also agree that its got to come from the majority of Championship clubs before something is forwarded to the RFL.
You're nort going to get Swinton to agree, and probably Hunslet as Hetherington has too much control there. So once 10 out of the 14 in our division put their names to it, plus some of Div 1 then that would be enough for me.
I'm dead against most of what DR is doing but would not want those top 4 just going their own way, it has to be a united front from the majority.

#3 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

As i see it only one team seem to be over doing the DR system. i don't see a problem with how town are using it.

#4 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

I've not seen the article yet Keith, but if its around limiting the number of players and the age of players then I'd agree that something has t be done. I'd also put a proviso in around the number of SL appearances.

I'd also agree that its got to come from the majority of Championship clubs before something is forwarded to the RFL.
You're nort going to get Swinton to agree, and probably Hunslet as Hetherington has too much control there. So once 10 out of the 14 in our division put their names to it, plus some of Div 1 then that would be enough for me.
I'm dead against most of what DR is doing but would not want those top 4 just going their own way, it has to be a united front from the majority.

That's my point Shaun, it's not just up to 4 clubs to come up with a solution and then ask everyone else just to sign and go along with their thoughts.

Personally, I agree with much of what they are proposing but when they say all players must be Under 23 I would disagree and go for Under 25. I do agree that all players must be outside the top 20 in the SL clubs squad.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#5 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

I do think the system is being abused in certain instances but I also think it's the case that the so called big 4 or 5 aren't having it their own way as much on the park and seem a bit rattled by it hence they feel the need try and bring in a regulation to keep the status quo as it were. This makes them no better than the SL clubs they're always moaning about in my eyes.
They don't like it up em!.....

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

What people should focus on is - is this the best way to develop players for the sport ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

What people should focus on is - is this the best way to develop players for the sport ?

Sigh................ Nobody is diputing that, read the thread and it is the way these clubs have decided what they think is best for everyone and expect the other clubs to follow them that Keith is objecting to. I take it by your reference to the greater good, the club you support are one of the above clubs?
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#8 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

I see the gimps down the road are now begging to get saints players in, amazing how a battering changes people's attitudes.

#9 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I see the gimps down the road are now begging to get saints players in, amazing how a battering changes people's attitudes.

Really!!!
Ha ha there are some top lads on that site. I hope our mate H4E/BKM is standing by his prinipals although he did change his mind after Gardner played, no doubt Haven 94 or whatever it is will be swooning at the thought. I think he must have lost his contacts when the Bish left as he doesn't seem to pride himself on inside knowledge anymore!
Sometimes I think I should bite the bullet and join that site as it is a laugh reading it, but I know I'd end up banned after 24 hours by the plastic mod's. I will just bide my time until back shift tomorrow and read it on my mates phone.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#10 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

dont do it voodoo. i lasted 12 months(how i managed that is beyond me) with my proper account. but my other 2 were a combined 5 days. its just too much temptation on there, and they just make it so easy for you.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#11 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 573 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

haha i guess your meaning my marra spacey the lads not a full shilling he probably never had his medicine

#12 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Chris Bridge is in the Swinton side for Sunday , and Mitch Achurch has gone from WCC to Hunslet , taking their Leeds lot to 6!

Edited by DavidM, 01 March 2013 - 02:38 PM.

#13 haven94

haven94
  • Coach
  • 323 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Really!!!
Ha ha there are some top lads on that site. I hope our mate H4E/BKM is standing by his prinipals although he did change his mind after Gardner played, no doubt Haven 94 or whatever it is will be swooning at the thought. I think he must have lost his contacts when the Bish left as he doesn't seem to pride himself on inside knowledge anymore!
Sometimes I think I should bite the bullet and join that site as it is a laugh reading it, but I know I'd end up banned after 24 hours by the plastic mod's. I will just bide my time until back shift tomorrow and read it on my mates phone.

my old mate don gailer still keeps in touch and asks about you all. our team be unchanged again for sunday if your asking. what about you guys is your new player in the squad sunday <_< <_<

#14 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

problem is haven94 the result will be unchanged on sunday as well, you will be getting another hiding. and if your gloating about dual reg we will still only have 1, an under 23 whos played the 1st 4 for town.

Edited by wonky, 01 March 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#15 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

my old mate don gailer still keeps in touch and asks about you all. our team be unchanged again for sunday if your asking. what about you guys is your new player in the squad sunday <_< <_<

Thank god for that. I was wondering how i'd be able to sleep on saturday night if i didnt know what the jam team was going to be

#16 haven94

haven94
  • Coach
  • 323 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

problem is haven94 the result will be unchanged on sunday as well, you will be getting another hiding. and if your gloating about dual reg we will still only have 1, an under 23 whos played the 1st 4 for town.

not gloating marra we havnt used the dual reg much just like town. not expecting much other than a tonking sunday a bp i will take gladly. i would think once you get elliot miller and matty back charlo wont be bothering widnes much

#17 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

yeah i think were only using them because we have to. matty,miller and rooney should be back shortly so i cant see us using them unless we get more injuries. i think you will be extremely lucky to get a bp. i expect fev to put 40-50 on all 3 cumbrian sides this year, although they werent champs last year there by far the best team in this league..

#18 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

Woods is just frightened that Town fans will start calling haven St Helens A team, like haven4ever does about Town calling us Widnes Reserves even though we have actually played the DR system as it it was meant to be with no 30 year 100+ SL appearance ex-international players. Ha ha.

#19 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

not gloating marra we havnt used the dual reg much just like town. not expecting much other than a tonking sunday a bp i will take gladly. i would think once you get elliot miller and matty back charlo wont be bothering widnes much

shaun, i cant see you gettting a BP against fev but to be fair all cumbrian clubs will be up against it playing fev this season. As well as fev you have something else to contend with on Sunday that will have you frustrated.

#20 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

If any of the promoted sides get within 30 of Fev this season that's their result of the year , but those games are irrelevant.