Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Match Officials Director Stuart Cummings to stand down

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Stuart Cummings is to relinquish his role as RFL Match Officials Director with effect from March 20 2013.

Stuart will continue to work with the governing body on a consultancy basis and will be responsible for match officials’ arrangements during the Rugby League World Cup later this year. A former International Referee of the Year, Stuart officiated in four Challenge Cup finals, two Super League Grand Finals and two World Cup Finals before heading up the RFL Match Officials’ department in 2000, and later overseeing the successful implementation of a panel of full-time referees in 2007.

RFL Chief Executive Nigel Wood said: “On behalf of the whole sport I would like to thank Stuart for his terrific work in the Match Officials Department, which has been transformed under his stewardship. “Stuart’s lasting legacy will be the professionalism he instilled in the sport’s match officials and I am delighted that he has agreed to continue to assist us going forward in what is a pivotal year for the sport.

“With the Rugby League World Cup just a few months away, Stuart will continue to make an important contribution to the sport, and through his consultancy in a range of initiatives. Given the intense scrutiny referees face, it is to Stuart’s credit that he has fulfilled the hardest job in Rugby League with diligence, dignity and above all integrity."

Stuart Cummings said: “My role as RFL Match Officials’ Director has been both challenging and rewarding. However, after 24 years at the top level of refereeing, I now feel the time is right to move on to other projects and opportunities, whilst maintaining contact with Rugby League. “Just as the sport has advanced in the modern era, so too have the demands on all our match officials and I am proud of the way in which the referees and touch-judges have responded to the challenge and are universally acknowledged by other sporting bodies as officials who command respect, which is the result of their hard work and dedication.

“With record numbers of people playing Rugby League around the UK, I look forward to continuing to work with referees around the country, to improve their experience of officiating and to advise them on their path to success in the game.”

Stuart Cummings’s responsibilities will be absorbed internally with many duties shared by Match Officials Coach Ian Smith and Technical Co-ordinator Jon Sharp.
-ends-

Nathan Clarke
Media Executive

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Flipping heck.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Good. He was an awful referee and standards have fallen sharply in his time at the RFL.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#4 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Next Cas chairman!!.. :)

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

Next Cas chairman!!.. :)

Or replacement for Foz, who has also now resigned from Cas. (Alarming)

Sounds like the RFL is making savings on his post by splitting it. I wonder whether that is a signal that financial matters are not so rosy at Red Hall these days?

#6 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Good. That is all.

Cummins Out.

#7 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Or replacement for Foz, who has also now resigned from Cas. (Alarming)

Sounds like the RFL is making savings on his post by splitting it. I wonder whether that is a signal that financial matters are not so rosy at Red Hall these days?

Superb speculating there. Truly admirable line of thought that. Good work.
Posted Image

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

I thought he was a pretty good ref. Best wishes Stuart.

Maybe having to watch the video of Tim Roby's performance on Sunday was the straw that broke the camels back.
B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,456 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Heard this coming a while back. Now, would anyone like to know who I've heard is going to be his replacement? :unsure:
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Heard this coming a while back. Now, would anyone like to know who I've heard is going to be his replacement? :unsure:

Oo, me, me, me, I do, I do, I do.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Paul Wellens?

#12 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,456 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Oo, me, me, me, I do, I do, I do.

You may not be that keen when I tell you who it is. :lol:

Steve Ganson. :o
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#13 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Superb speculating there. Truly admirable line of thought that. Good work.

There really was no need for that.

Another reason for not replacing him directly could be that the post is no longer necessary given that the transfer to fulltime professional referees is complete and running as well as expected.

#14 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Ian Smith and Jon Sharp?
Posted Image

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I imagine he's already got the white persian cat in his lap.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

There really was no need for that.

Another reason for not replacing him directly could be that the post is no longer necessary given that the transfer to fulltime professional referees is complete and running as well as expected.

Indeed. I wonder why you didn't mention this in your original post? I suppose wildly speculating about Red Hall being skint is much more fun...
Posted Image

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Indeed. I wonder why you didn't mention this in your original post? I suppose wildly speculating about Red Hall being skint is much more fun...

Again, totally unnecessary. And I didn't even suggest they were 'skint'.

I didn't mention it because I didn't think of it at the time. What's your problem?

Edited by Saintslass, 26 February 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#18 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

On the subject of Mr Ganson, check out the SL Touchline feature on Mr Ganson. Really interesting behind the scenes footage but that Ganson Gut does suggests he ought to be moving onto a deskjob sometime soon!

#19 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

On the subject of Mr Ganson, check out the SL Touchline feature on Mr Ganson. Really interesting behind the scenes footage but that Ganson Gut does suggests he ought to be moving onto a deskjob sometime soon!

He's recently gotten married and so perhaps he is showing signs of being a new settled down Ganson. ;)

I saw that episode of Touchline. It provided a really interesting insight.

#20 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

It'll be interesting to be in the coaches meeting with him, he'll keep sending the meeting back 10 minutes each time they ask him a question.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users