Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford link up

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Just picked this up from the Salford message board on RLFans:

http://forums.rlfans...tsmp=1361897663

The last paragraph of Middleman's posting makes interesting reading. All right, it benefits Salford in their long term plans but could also benefit us as well. If I had a wish list of the 4 players I'd like us to get on loan/ Dual Reg, it would be Marc Sneyd (maybe difficult after his MOM display on Sunday), Jack Holmes (full back/centre), Jon Ford (centre) and a big prop (I don't know who).

I would prefer season long loans, a la Adam Files, because I think Dual Reg can be difficult to manage, but, if the quality of player is better than those I've listed, it could be that Dual Reg is the only option.

#2 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Hmmmm!!?? Not too sure about this. They also say that their objective is to help us out of cc1, which is good, however, it seems their motive is to get their DR players playing better oposition!? Which in the long term is not in our interest as it means we will always be their feeder team. Does anyone know how easy it would be to get outof tthecdeal oncecee have achieved our objectives

#3 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Maybe someone should send a clutch of pictures of Whitebank Stadium to good old Marwan, probably give him a double nosebleed!!!

#4 donquixote

donquixote
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Featherstone, Leigh, Barrow, Sheffield and Halifax are all opposed in one form or another to Dual Reg. Not surprising after Swinton fielded 9 (yes nine) Warrington players on Sunday. How can that be good for the game?

Their proposal is no over 23 SL players, none of top 20 earners at each club, no players allowed in play-offs unless played 50% of league fixtures. Not unreasonable given where we are but better with no dual reg at all!!

All this is just because SL clubs can't afford to cater for their own player development after all. RL today is a total mess!

A bit off the point but I see Higginshaw didn't play again this week (second week running) because opposition could'nt raise a team. That's what a shambles today's game is in.

#5 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

A big part of our failure last year was constantly bringing in players on loan who walked into the team irrespective of whether they were good enough or not .From then on we were doomed, no cohesion in the team. One man rugby as we didn't know each others games or our set moves. The last half a dozen games or so with only our own players we were a much better team all together and .........winning.

DR is a last resort and should not be encouraged as it doesn't help Oldham, only disrupts. CC1 is much more physical than people realise. We have a good young squad with a good smattering of experience. Why bring in a rookie from SL who is unproven or an old head who will only be interested in looking after himself.

Lets hope CH has learned this lesson from last year.
One for all and all for the one

#6 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

I believe you need to remember Scott Naylor is his own man. He will not be doing Salford any favours, they sacked him. He will take players that strengthen the team and that can only be a good thing. Salford can't make him play a weakened side and I'm sure Scott and Spanner know the Salford set up well enough to get the best out of the dual registration system.

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

kinda ok with taking 4 or 5 salford lads on season long loans....it benefits their development and give us stability....

but having different DR players every other week does nothing for us imo

Edited by roughyedspud, 27 February 2013 - 12:34 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#8 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

I am curious to just what CH has said to Scott and Spanner regarding the stadium minimum standards, and just how CH intends to meet them in less than 12 months...He must have resources that we do not know about as it is on record that he has been disinclined to accept help on any terms but his own.
I expect Naylor and Spanner will deliver on the park...but if another 12 months slips by without much change at Whitebank?

Marwan is a man of action and resources...It would be a happy day indeed if he had some small change to buy up the resources of Salford`s "partnership" team, already he comes across as a man who installs people to get things done! Just take a look at his appointments so far!

#9 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

The problem as I see it is this. Salford are the SL team. What if, and I speculate, what if the Salford board decide to take control of Oldham??? Pay CH a wedge and just use us as a cc feeder club ad infinitum? ?? We will never be a top club again. How long will it be before the chron is reporting on Salford? How long before Salford players are in town square signing autographs? Just worried that's all, not being negative.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot, 27 February 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#10 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:27 PM

I see we've got Niall Evalds, Will Hope, Jon Ford and Jordan Walne on D/R for this week. Here's some details from the Salford website on Hope and Walne:-

Will Hope

Local lad Will from the Folly Lane amateur club has already had a long association with Salford. Always a fan he joined as U13’s scholar and has remained at the club for the last 7 years. A hard working loose forward he has played U20’s since being 16 years old and is currently the captain of the Reserves. After finishing his electrician apprenticeship Will is now hoping to gain a full time contract for the 2013 season.

Jordan Walne

Jordan first came to the club as an U13 scholar but it was a brief stay of one year before joining the Wigan scholarship. Undeterred Salford regained the talented hard running 2nd row forward when he signed pro forms aged 16. Going straight into the U18’s Jordan had a very good first season in 2009. Since then he has pretty much been a regular in the U20’s squad and this year also went full time with the 1st team squad.

On the Salford message board on RLFANS.COM, one of the posters is of the opinion that Ford will score a bagful of tries for us, while Evalds has already played twice this season for Salford in Super League, scoring a length of the field try at Headingley, so he's no slouch.

I'm not really a DR fan (prefer season long loans) but Scott Naylor seems to think he can manage the potential disruption, so we'll see. However, we seem to have got some real quality with the first raft of DR signings, and, assuming that Salford keep recruiting for their SL squad and have few major injury probs, fingers crossed, we may have these lads for quite some time, which should add to the quality (and numbers) in our squad.

#11 D1029

D1029
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:08 PM

I see we've got Niall Evalds, Will Hope, Jon Ford and Jordan Walne on D/R for this week. Here's some details from the Salford website on Hope and Walne:-

Will Hope

Local lad Will from the Folly Lane amateur club has already had a long association with Salford. Always a fan he joined as U13’s scholar and has remained at the club for the last 7 years. A hard working loose forward he has played U20’s since being 16 years old and is currently the captain of the Reserves. After finishing his electrician apprenticeship Will is now hoping to gain a full time contract for the 2013 season.

Jordan Walne

Jordan first came to the club as an U13 scholar but it was a brief stay of one year before joining the Wigan scholarship. Undeterred Salford regained the talented hard running 2nd row forward when he signed pro forms aged 16. Going straight into the U18’s Jordan had a very good first season in 2009. Since then he has pretty much been a regular in the U20’s squad and this year also went full time with the 1st team squad.

On the Salford message board on RLFANS.COM, one of the posters is of the opinion that Ford will score a bagful of tries for us, while Evalds has already played twice this season for Salford in Super League, scoring a length of the field try at Headingley, so he's no slouch.

I'm not really a DR fan (prefer season long loans) but Scott Naylor seems to think he can manage the potential disruption, so we'll see. However, we seem to have got some real quality with the first raft of DR signings, and, assuming that Salford keep recruiting for their SL squad and have few major injury probs, fingers crossed, we may have these lads for quite some time, which should add to the quality (and numbers) in our squad.

But that is the problem with DR for its opponents.Will we have to wait until Sunday kick off to know who is in the team after Salford have had their say who is available or who they require.What will the players who miss out on selection think,not good for team bonding.We have had two pre season games to asses the new players, now we may see the inclusion of new players straight into the side thus bumping out some of those who have featured in the squad so far.This Sunday is the first real test of the new regime let hope new faces dont disrupt and upset the apple cart.One defeat in the Northern Rail Cup makes progression very difficult.

#12 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:37 PM

Lads should play on merit alone not just because Salford dictate.I believe SN is his own man and not a puppet. Let's see.

If he's not I can see team morale dropping like a stone.This would be such a pity after a good couple of friendlies that have lifted the supporters spirit.How would you feel if you had turned up week in week out over a bleak winter only for somoeone who turn up at the last minute and who's not even as good as you to get the nod.
One for all and all for the one

#13 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

Looking at tonights result they might send all 13

#14 D1029

D1029
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Looking at tonights result they might send all 13

So that will be another year in the wilderness of Championship One

#15 Augustus55

Augustus55
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

Only time will tell if this ' arrangement' will work. e.g. Phil Joy spent 2 years with the under 23's, earned a first team spot, trained through the winter, played the first 2 friendlies, then finds himself with the under 20's last night. 4 lads from Salford straight into squad for first game of season?

#16 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

I don't know for certain, no one on here does, but I suspect that all players were made aware of the strong possibility of this happening when contract negotiations were taking place. The reward for the whole club, players included, will be promotion, if we achieve it. As I said previously, Scott Naylor seems to think that he can manage Dual Reg, so time will tell. Previous posts about Tony Benson not being able to manage his loan signings last season are irrelevant to me, as, in my opinion, TB didn't manage that much that well in all his 4 years in charge.

Edited by RunItOffAfi, 02 March 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#17 john in oz

john in oz
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:17 AM

Very much agree with rugbyman 1's comments about Salford DR players walking into the team.
In any sport and at any level, team morale is important.
An old cliche I know but, champion teams can beat teams of champions
I am not on the spot to have watched the two friendlies played so far and rely on Chron reports and the comments on this forum, but it appears that the players selected by the coach so far have put in 100%.
Get that team spirit going.......get the supporters behind a team of lads that are fully committed to ORLFC.
Reading about the coach's past history and achievements I'm sure he is his own man and won't be dictated to.
Let's hope that proves to be the case and he can get the club buzzing again.

#18 Augustus55

Augustus55
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

Sorry if this post is duplicated!

Again sorry for negativity, but I ahve heard and read alot about Naylor being his ' own man' . Bringing 4 Salford under 20's into the squad on Thursday is hardly great preparation for todays game, and especially if as I ahve seen all 4 players were in the 17.

Does this tell me that at least 10+ current Oldham players signed by Naylor are not deemed good enough for this competition?

+ does any one know how Oldham players are paid this year? if pay as you play then there must be some very disappointed players out there.

Just read comments on game re Propoganda on Club website- if comments regarding new appointment to under 20' staff is an example, most of what I read will be ignored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users