The Meaning of Liff

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,589 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

For those of us who remember this wonderful book of useful words, created by Douglas Adams and John Lloyd, Radio 4 are broadcasting a 30th anniversary (cf 'Signs you are getting old' thread!) programme about it, tomorrow at 11:30am.

Official blurb: This year marks the 30th anniversary of the publication of The Meaning of Liff, by John Lloyd and Douglas Adams. This funny and well-loved dictionary uses placenames as new definitions for common experiences which we all know and recognize, but for which no words exist.

John Lloyd talks to Matt Lucas about his love of Liff, and also gathers new entries from the Radio 4 audience. These are then chewed over and sifted down by John and fellow Liff-lovers Sanjeev Bhaskar, Helen Fielding and Terry Jones.

And Professor Steven Pinker - Liff devotee - talks about the psychological relief and sense of bonding that comes from recognising that you're not alone in having these thoughts and feelings.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

One of my favourites is :

Hagnaby : Someone who looked a lot more attractive in the disco than they do in your bed the next morning.

Edited by Padge, 27 February 2013 - 12:49 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,589 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Last night, before I heard about this programme, I was going through the bookshelf, looking for something to read on the train. My copy of 'The Meaning of Liff' was there - I thought I'd lost it ages ago! :)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

My favourite was Scrabster - something like "A dog that has it off on your leg".

It seemed to fit perfectly with the name - I've never been to the place so cannot comment about it !
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,589 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

A few favourites :D

Scethrog: One of those peculiar beards-without-moustaches worn by religious Belgians and American scientists which help them look like trolls.

Pant-y-wacco (adj.): The final state of mind of retired colonel before they come to take him away.

Caarnduncan (n.): The high-pitched and insistent cry of the young male human urging one of its peer group to do something dangerous on a cliff-edge or piece of toxic waste ground.

Writtle (vb.): Of a steel ball, to settle into a hole.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users