Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Eddie & Steve?

Is it time?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Starting to really annoy me these 2 especially Eddie, baz n tez for me would be far better at fronting our live games and Eddie and Stevo doing the smaller shows I.e boots n all super league full time. I'm aware there occasionally do but make it a permanent thing, thoughts guys???

#2 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think two things.

One, we did it to death in this thread http://www.totalrl.c...eddie-hemmings/ last week.

The use of the term 'baz n tez' tells me everything I wouldn't possibly want to hear.
People called Romans they go the house

#3 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

No not Baz n Tez for gods sake.They struggle to put even a simple sentence together.

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

No not Baz n Tez for gods sake.They struggle to put even a simple sentence together.

McDermott is ok when he's on his own like on Super League Full Time. It's O'Connor who sounds dopey.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Commentating is a very difficult job to do, and Eddie and Stevo have been great servants to Sky Sports RL for over 20 years, but maybe it is now time for them to move on.

I would have a young enthusiastic anchor from the Sky Sports presenters stable fronting the live games production and SL Full Time - Somebody like Simon Thomas for example.

Then have a dedicated commentary team of Brian Carney, John Wells and somebody like Dave Woods, with Clarkey on the sidelines.

Keep Baz & Tez and Angela Powers for Boots 'N' All/Superleague Supermen.

Maybe introduce it during the World Cup, I think Eddie and Stevo definitely deserve to be involved in that.
Posted Image

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

The sky sports news presenter who did the World Cup in '08 did an ok job. I can't remember his name though and it isn't on the website. "The other Welsh one" I suppose.

Or Olivia Godfrey. :wub:

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Funny though last week on the red button when Baz mentioned the Salary Crapp

Edited by clement, 27 February 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,832 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

There's a big difference between being a commentator and a studio pundit (or even a co-commentator). The latter can take a few seconds, or even minutes, to identify a player or move and describe it, while the commentator has to do it on the moment.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Not keen on "Tez" but Barrie Mac is quite funny during live games....some the things he comes out with. I'm all for a revised Skt team consisting of:

In the box:
Brian Carney
Barrie McDermott

Pitchside:
Jon Wells
Phil Clarke

They could alternate between Barrie, Jon and Phil pitchside IMO

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Bill Arthur's good.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

how about getting paul cullen on board for a regular slot? like him or loathe him the guy is extremely knowledgable about the game and is certainly more viewer friendly than mike stephenson...........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#12 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

i've always liked it in the Aussie coverage when they have ex-players interviewing the man of the match etc.. they obviously have an insight as to what a player goes through in a game and that always comes across. would like to see someone like Barrie Mcdermott and Jon Wells used in those roles also..

Not a fan of Angela powers, the programmes she produces always tend to look tacky and done without any real thought to make things look decent. so 'i'd show her the door along with Eddie and Stevo, or at least keep her away from any creative control on the programmes..

I'd suggest James Richardson as a host. He was the best thing about Channel 4's old coverage of Serie A. Last i saw of him was hosting Worlds strongest man on Channel 5 at xmas, so reckon he could be available. Someone like him could combine Eddies role as host, and Angela powers role as feature interviewer, and probably do a better job in both roles.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#13 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

I'd suggest James Richardson as a host. He was the best thing about Channel 4's old coverage of Serie A. Last i saw of him was hosting Worlds strongest man on Channel 5 at xmas, so reckon he could be available. Someone like him could combine Eddies role as host, and Angela powers role as feature interviewer, and probably do a better job in both roles.

He presents Serie A on ESPN at the moment (probably not for much longer, depends if BT take him on), and presents The Guardian's football podcast which is he is also the best thing about. He should be on MOTD 2 really. Don't know how realistic a prospect getting him would be, but I think he would be good at it. He would probably wind up all the "traditionalists" though - although in my book that's just another tick in the plus box
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#14 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Jon wells is awful, just as bad as he was a player

#15 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:33 PM