Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shouldn't this be Red and White ?

Rovers new stand wrong colour

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

More importantly, is the sun shining in Hull today?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#22 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

More importantly, is the sun shining in Hull today?

Beautiful I've had me washing hung on the line ( wifes orders )

#23 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,930 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Stand that is. They are not happy
http://www.thesun.co...ead-of-RED.html

#24 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,982 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

Then keep the stand blue.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#25 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Darren Hale, say no more.

To be fair to the council, if you were following yesterday's game of press release tennis then one party seems to be at fault in a big way and it isn't them.

Council hit back at Hull KR

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#26 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

I think Keighley would be exstatic if they could get Bradford Council to build them a stand. They could even have the seats and the cladding red, yellow and black, if the club got the stand for free. :D

#27 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

When was this? At the time the KC was both dreamed up and constructed, Rovers were a struggling second tier outfit and very much the 3rd biggest pro sport gig in town. Hudgell does have a point that FC have benefited from council funding far above and beyond his own club, who have had to pay over the odds to develop a modest stadium. I'd love for us just to have sat in the wings and then moved into a state-of-the-art complex at a piddling rent off the back of our soccerball team. This didn't happen and most of us don't whinge about it but a bit of perspective is needed here. Hull KR have had a raw deal in the recent stadium stakes.

In the planning stages, Hull KR were invited to share the KC Stadium with FC and City. They declined, due to geography (it being to the west of the city centre) and finances (the small crowds you mention). Your club did have the option to move "into a state-of-the-art complex at a piddling rent off the back of our soccerball team" but refused the offer, so don't whinge about getting a "raw deal" in the recent stadium stakes when it's of your own club's making.

Edited by Mistress_Marlowe, 01 March 2013 - 08:43 PM.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#28 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

In the planning stages, Hull KR were invited to share the KC Stadium with FC and City. They declined, due to geography (it being to the west of the city centre) and finances (the small crowds you mention). Your club did have the option to move "into a state-of-the-art complex at a piddling rent off the back of our soccerball team" but refused the offer, so don't whinge about getting a "raw deal" in the recent stadium stakes when it's of your own club's making.

That's pretty much as I remember it from the various public meetings at the time. Rovers declined for what seemed to be perfectly valid reasons to me.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#29 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

I too was under the impression that HKR had the opportunity to throw their hat into the KC stadium ring when it was first mooted but declined the offer. If we're to talk about clubs being looked after by the council can I ask just where did the land come from to build NCP? Which club is it in Hull who have been sponsored by a council owned company called Wastewise? Rovers have had their fair share of favours from the council.

Well I confess I didn’t know this. But bearing in mind that Rovers were not only skint at the time but also 3rd fiddle attendance wise in a stadium race that could only house 2 sides AND geographically isolated, how realistic could any attempts to include them have been? I doubt that even with Hudgell’s ambition and cash in tow Rovers would have been able to muscle in on that party. The KC is let’s not forget a stone’s throw from both FC’s and City’s former grounds. FC were very lucky where the KC was concerned and in general a blessed club on very many fronts at the turn of the last decade, whilst Rovers (like most others) have had to drag themselves up by their bootstraps. I don’t think even the staunchest Rovers fan would deny FC the right to a nice new ground but it’s then a bit rich to say that we’ve had the same or even similar council benefit. A sponsorship deal? Pfft!

Personally I’d like to see us and FC share the KC with City elsewhere but I doubt this will ever happen. The worry for both Rovers and the town is that we’ve a nice new ground taking shape but at substantial cost to an already skint outfit at a time when the RL landscape in not only Hull but across many heartland areas is anything but settled and our benefactor threatening to bail. The MS3 could easily end up as the best empty RL ground in the country before long and if so I think it would be mean-spirited indeed of Hull FC fans to suggest that Rovers lost a fair stadium fight. Where would they be now if their only option circa: 2000 was to develop The Boulevard (ie if City had previously played on Holderness Road, maybe)? And – dare I say – if they hadn’t been allowed to swallow up a flawed expansion franchise when they made a considerably bigger mess of a much better hand than we’ve ever had in the SL era. Not where they are now, that’s for sure. I don’t bear Hull FC any ill will but I’m afraid their fans accusing ANY other side of financial mismanagement – and especially their plucky “go it alone” neighbours on the other side of the river and council funding fence - is more ironic than a million of Alanis Morisette’s spoons.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 04 March 2013 - 12:48 PM.

#30 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

How is it of our own making? Have you not been paying attention to the North Stand story?

#31 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

That's pretty much as I remember it from the various public meetings at the time. Rovers declined for what seemed to be perfectly valid reasons to me.

Those valid reasons being, I assume, "We know when we're not wanted". When did 3 teams ever share a stadium? Unworkable.

The RL team to benefit from this freebie was always going to be the one nearest the soccerball team. That simple. Some Hull FC fans on here clearly need a reality check.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 04 March 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#32 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Hudgell comes out all guns blazing in yesterday's matchday programme, btw. Paying £60,000 a year rent on the North Stand alone while FC receive £300,000 in rent subsidies. Hot Hull pub topic potato - catch!

#33 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:41 PM

Those valid reasons being, I assume, "We know when we're not wanted". When did 3 teams ever share a stadium? Unworkable.

The RL team to benefit from this freebie was always going to be the one nearest the soccerball team. That simple. Some Hull FC fans on here clearly need a reality check.

Christ, who rattled your cage today? All I was saying was that Rovers felt it wasn't practical for them, mainly on the grounds of location and cost.

Where on Earth did you think they were going to build it, Sammy's ###### ing Point?

#34 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

Hudgell comes out all guns blazing in yesterday's matchday programme, btw. Paying £60,000 a year rent on the North Stand alone while FC receive £300,000 in rent subsidies. Hot Hull pub topic potato - catch!

Hudgell's playing to his audience. He knows plenty of them will buy it if he diverts their attention from the comical North Stand cock-up by having a sideswipe at Hull FC.

#35 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

FC were very lucky where the KC was concerned and in general a blessed club on very many fronts at the turn of the last decade, whilst Rovers (like most others) have had to drag themselves up by their bootstraps.

That reminds me, thanks again Barry Lilley.

rldfsignature.jpg

#36 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 693 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:43 AM

Someone seems not to have informed our Australian friends about this proposition.
http://en.wikipedia....ootball_Stadium
http://en.wikipedia....Suncorp_Stadium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAMI_Park
http://en.wikipedia....Olympic_Stadium
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#37 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Christ, who rattled your cage today? All I was saying was that Rovers felt it wasn't practical for them, mainly on the grounds of location and cost.

Where on Earth did you think they were going to build it, Sammy's ###### ing Point?

No-one has “rattled my cage”, I’m giving my views on the situation re: the 2 Hull sides’ stadium joys/traumas of recent years, something I feel equipped to do in spite of the fact that I follow Rovers.

The location of the KC makes sense, being as it is both central and on the train approach and with good motorway links. But it’s not implausible that it could have been earmarked slightly more East. 10 years later and it might even have formed part of the current North Bransholme regeneration. Hull is a big old place. Had Rovers been in rude health in the late 90s and FC down at heel, it’s quite possible that City and Rovers would have buddied up instead and FC fans now be grumbling about a botched council attempt to level the score. And they would be entitled to. This is all I’m saying.

#38 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

That reminds me, thanks again Barry Lilley.

????

#39 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Someone seems not to have informed our Australian friends about this proposition.
http://en.wikipedia....ootball_Stadium
http://en.wikipedia....Suncorp_Stadium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAMI_Park
http://en.wikipedia....Olympic_Stadium

Those seem to be 1 each of soccer, RL & RU sides, which (without knowing the RU calendar in Oz) probably throw up fewer pitch maintenance and policing issues than 1 x soccer & 2 x RL. I dare say we could squeeze an RU side into the KC should demand justify it but I'm struggling to ascertain how it houses City, KR & FC.

#40 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

????

You're not aware of the relevance of Barry Lilley to the "blessed club" as you put it , that Hull FC were at the time in question that you mentioned?

Edited by Old Frightful, 05 March 2013 - 12:58 PM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users