Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rugby League World Magazine - Feedback

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - ISSUE 384 (APRIL 2013)
In shops Friday 1st March or get it online NOW for your iPad, Android device, PC or Mac at http://www.pocketmag...by League World

Posted Image

Later this year, England will attempt to pull off what many cynics regard as an impossible task and win the Rugby League World Cup. The scale of the challenge in front of them could not be more daunting. However, Australia were equally hot favourites in 2008 but that didn’t stop New Zealand winning the tournament. Our cover star Lance Hohaia scored two tries for the Kiwis in that game and he talks to Jamie Jones-Buchanan about how to win the World Cup as well as offering his views on the banning of the shoulder charge and the unfolding sporting drug scandal in Australia.
Sonny Bill Williams is back in Rugby League, but not for long. Steve Kilgallon catches up with the controversial but multi-talented superstar for us and Steve Mascord kicks off a new series of interviews with players who are plying their trade in some of the less well known corners of the globe.
On the home front, the dual registration argument has dominated the opening stages of the Kingstone Press Championship and we get to hear both sides of this contentious story from Hunslet Hawks and Sheffield Eagles. We also have interviews with Jason Golden at York City Knights and Workington Town star Ewan Dowes.
Former second row sensation Paul Medley who is now nurturing the next generation as Bradford’s head of youth development talks to us about his life and career.
Secret Speccie returns with a visit to Championship One newcomers Hemel Stags. We also take a look at the continuing growth of Rugby League in Hertfordshire as well as evaluating the impact of recent Sport England funding cuts on development work in London and the South East, plus the launch of the new Conference League South and an interview with Gordie Long, head coach of Sharlston Rovers.
On the international scene, Dave Hadfield looks forward to a Festival of World Cups and we chat to England Women’s captain Emma Slowe. We pay a visit to Eastern Europe to find out how Rugby League is growing in Ukraine plus coverage of the Cabramatta Nines which saw nations as diverse as Japan, Niue, Portugal, Greece, Canada, American Samoa and the Philippines in Rugby League action. We also have our regular dispatches from Australia, New Zealand, France and Wales.
Of course, as always, there’s much more inside too. We hope you enjoy this month’s mix. Keep in touch!

Order the print edition for UK & Worldwide postal delivery at www.totalrl.com/shop

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

How to win the Rugby League World Cup mmmm get as many quality players as you can not from your country due to daft daft rules.

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

how to win the world cup? easy...get wayne bennett in as coach but pretend stephan kearney was in charge!!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 TheDuke

TheDuke
  • Coach
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

dont invite southern hemisphere teams?

#5 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Score more points than the opposition?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#6 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

quite simple sack macbanana and re-hire brian noble, stop selecting the likes of heighington when we have a plethora of better ENGLISH players in those positions. pick players on form instead of reputation and then we may stand a chance..............oh and keep sinfield as captain.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Stop the reduction of places for young players that this DR thing has started. Re vitalise the ailing amateur game, which has produced numerous potential international players in recent seasons, and keep the talent flow of young players going,

England look better resourced for talent than for many years and this produstion line should not be curtailed if we want to ever get near the antipodeans.

#8 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Get Johnny Whiteley to coach, bring Roger Millward & Mal Reilly out of retirement and pray for the resurrection of Clive Sullivan as skipper!

If only, sigh :(
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#9 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

Get to the final and win it

#10 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

Just a reminder, folks. This is out today (Fri 1st March). Rush out now and buy it! :)

Posted Image

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#11 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 966 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

Best issue ever for me. end of. well done!

#12 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,180 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

Good issue. I'm enjoying reading it!

#13 Rioman

Rioman
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Just a reminder, folks. This is out today (Fri 1st March). Rush out now and buy it! :)

Posted Image

Can't get one at any of the usual outlets in the Ossett, Horbury, Netherton area of Wakefield. All say they haven't had them in yet. Been trying since Friday morning.

#14 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Can't get one at any of the usual outlets in the Ossett, Horbury, Netherton area of Wakefield. All say they haven't had them in yet. Been trying since Friday morning.

Thanks for letting us know, we'll look into that. In the meantime, if you want to order a copy by post give us a call on 01484 401895.

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#15 Rioman

Rioman
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for letting us know, we'll look into that. In the meantime, if you want to order a copy by post give us a call on 01484 401895.

Thanks John. I found one at Lockwoods shop on Horbury bypass .Not a shop I would normally go in but they seem to be the only ones who had copies.

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

Only read a couple of articles so far, but good stuff.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#17 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

Any more feedback on the current ish? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

If you've read it, tell us what you thought.

If you haven't read it, tell us why not and what might make you want to read it in future.

Thanks

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#18 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Been meaning to say this for an issue or two now - thanks for getting rid of the forced twitter element in Robbie Hunter Paul's column. As suspected, it's much better when he is speaking as an ex-pro without debating an issue. Last month's one on pre-season training was particularly good.

Not finished the whole ish yet - but the end to the Paul Medley interview was a bit all over the shop. I guess the inference was he has genuinely been married a few times, but I couldn't work out if it was a joke or there were people at the club who had helped him out who he called his wife. Anyway, it didn't fit in with the rest of the article - which otherwise was one of the better "behind the scenes" bits for a while. More of the same would be great.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#19 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

First thing to say is that, for the first time, I found the magazine in my local WH Smith branch here in East Sussex - you could have knocked me down with a feather. Usually, I buy the magazine on the concourse at London's Victoria station...

I enjoy the magazine but would love Mike Rylance to be given much more space for his French pieces. His pieces are "newsy" - which is good - but I would like him to explore the history and culture of the game in greater depth. I would love to see interviews with/profiles of some of the great (or even lesser known) names, I want to hear their stories, what the game means to them, how they see its future, learn more about the legendary tours and World Cups and Test matches and so on... a little bit more poetry to go alongside the prose.

I'm glad that you now have a dedicated NZ page, but again would like to have alongside the latest news something that gives a fuller flavour of the game's character and personality. How about a piece on the national side of the early 70s which proved too good for both the Australians and GB? Against the odds, NZ has produced some of the most wonderful individual talent in the game's history but, rather like we have with our national press, their contributions have remained largely unacknowledged - let alone celebrated.

Steve Mascord too is a journalist I respect and follow - he made a very good impression on Sky's Back Chat a few weeks ago - but I suspect he's spreading himself a little too thinly. His articles appear to be made up of short, glancing sketches which lack a bit of sustenance. I'd like him and Dave Hadfield to be given a bit more freedom fully to express themselves, to write...

Keep up the good work, John!

Edited by trakl, 13 March 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#20 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,343 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

My copy only arrived a couple of days ago, but there's plenty to read. I enjoyed JJB's piece on Hohaia (sp) and how he linked it to RLWC. Some other interesting bits on Ewan Dowes, SBW, etc.

Carps: The DR 'debate' was a bit disappointing. I guess it's been done in much greater depth on here, and I hope there's more to come.
The piece on why the Championship is important for RLWC was a bit confusing. It was only about the coaches? And the players? Venues?
Phil Caplan has gone right off. For the second successive issue he basically says nothing at all. Drugs is a difficult issue, but beyond some very obvious comments he adds nothing.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users