Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

DR The fightback?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Not sure why this hasn't received much coverage anywhere:

http://uk.eurosport....-181012972.html

The call is for all Championship clubs to agree to respect three main guidelines:

- to not select dual-registered players aged 23 or over or are among a Super League club's top-20 earners;

- to select no more than four dual-registered players at any one time;

- and to not select players for the end-of-season play-offs who have appeared in fewer than 50 per cent of their Championship matches.

Seems sensible to me.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,678 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

yes, it does.

but "fightback"? not "clarification" or "revision"?

Edited by JohnM, 27 February 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

And Chris Bridge is supposedly playing for Swinton.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

so the so called "big four" in the championship are treating their fellow clubs like lepers because they take players on dual reg? some of them have very short memories from when they did it themselves...........but i do agree that it should only be young players, as workington have don by only using declan hulme this season.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#5 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

yes, it does.

but "fightback"? not "clarification" or "revision"?

I would accept "revision". It would involve changes so is not really a "clarification". I used "fightback" for dramatic effect. It's a plea/demand/request for moderation and sanity from 4/5 clubs looking at this issue from a different perspective to the others.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#6 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

so the so called "big four" in the championship are treating their fellow clubs like lepers

Well no, its trying to protect the integrity of the Kingston Press Championship as something more than a reserve league.

Edited by Matt J, 27 February 2013 - 01:18 PM.

Cummins Out.

#7 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

like i have said before if DR is used as it should be to give young talent competetive game time then yes it is a great thing for the game as a whole, but by what reasoning do the likes of chris bridge, richard moore ade gardner, paul wood, and tyrone mccarthy need to go on dual reg?? then it becomes a joke and as thundergaz stated on another thread whats to stop a club loading their team with ringers to win an important game?? keep dual registration but have an upper age limit of 21 for players in the system. and yes i don't agree with widnes putting all their first team squad on dual reg with workington, we should only be sednding the likes of declan hulme, tom gilmore and grant gore to aid their professional development.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#8 Simon Hall

Simon Hall
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

This statement was in the General Manager's notes in the York City Knights programme for the match against Halifax:

"The Dual Registration debate is currently providing journalists with plenty of column inches at present as clubs and individuals offer their opinions on the system. From a personal point of view I can sympathise with those clubs who cannot dual register players due to the fact that they are not in a formal partnership with a Superleague club, and would support this rule being changed.
However the main issue in my opinion is around which players from Superleague clubs are allowed to play in the Championships. For me the number of players allowed (five) is reasonable, and in reality is only one more than clubs were allowed previously. The only difference is that the players can all be from the same club, whereas previously clubs could only have three players from anyone club. Again in my opinion, a rule should be introduced to prohibit players either over the age of 23 or those who have played in say more than 50 Superleague matches from being Dual Registered.
From a York City Knights point of view this is how we have been operating our partnership with Hull FC and I believe that we are working to the underlying principles of why the new Dual Registration was introduced, which was to provide talented young British players with a suitable pathway to reach the highest level they can."

That's seems fair enough to me, regardless of which club I support.

Printing & Graphic Design - Nationwide
Leaflets | Flyers | Matchday Programmes | Business Cards | Letterheads | Brochures | Posters | plus much, much more!
T: 01904 765334 | E: info@alldesignandprint.co.uk

Official Matchday Magazine print & design partner to York City Knights, Hunslet Hawks & Dewsbury Rams

alldesignandprint.co.uk

#9 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

This statement was in the General Manager's notes in the York City Knights programme for the match against Halifax:

"The Dual Registration debate is currently providing journalists with plenty of column inches at present as clubs and individuals offer their opinions on the system. From a personal point of view I can sympathise with those clubs who cannot dual register players due to the fact that they are not in a formal partnership with a Superleague club, and would support this rule being changed.
However the main issue in my opinion is around which players from Superleague clubs are allowed to play in the Championships. For me the number of players allowed (five) is reasonable, and in reality is only one more than clubs were allowed previously. The only difference is that the players can all be from the same club, whereas previously clubs could only have three players from anyone club. Again in my opinion, a rule should be introduced to prohibit players either over the age of 23 or those who have played in say more than 50 Superleague matches from being Dual Registered.
From a York City Knights point of view this is how we have been operating our partnership with Hull FC and I believe that we are working to the underlying principles of why the new Dual Registration was introduced, which was to provide talented young British players with a suitable pathway to reach the highest level they can."

That's seems fair enough to me, regardless of which club I support.

Well you just saved me a job there, cheers!

I wonder if our esteemed matchday magazine producers can make an online edition of our cracking little publication...
Posted Image

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'm still a touch confused by the fact that everybody keeps banging on about youth. It smacks of 'won't somebody think of the children' hysteria.

There is a clear reason why Paul Wood and Chris Bridge played for Swinton - because there was literally nowhere else for them to play apart from Super League.

It was a benefit for Warrington that they played these games, and I assume that Swinton decided that it would also benefit them, by the fact that they have signed up to the agreement and then used them.

DR in it's current form is basically the replacement for 2nd teams - old players played in 2nd teams too, so not sure why people think only kids should be able to go into the system.

By the way, I don't like it, I want to see these players playing in a Wire 2nd team, but I don;t know why people keep going back to the youth point.

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

I'm still a touch confused by the fact that everybody keeps banging on about youth. It smacks of 'won't somebody think of the children' hysteria.

There is a clear reason why Paul Wood and Chris Bridge played for Swinton - because there was literally nowhere else for them to play apart from Super League.

It was a benefit for Warrington that they played these games, and I assume that Swinton decided that it would also benefit them, by the fact that they have signed up to the agreement and then used them.

DR in it's current form is basically the replacement for 2nd teams - old players played in 2nd teams too, so not sure why people think only kids should be able to go into the system.

By the way, I don't like it, I want to see these players playing in a Wire 2nd team, but I don;t know why people keep going back to the youth point.

These false teams, whether the loaned players are callow youth or grizzled veterans, are disrupting the balance and competitive integrity of the Championship. They are making the league an irrelevance by turning it's teams into appendages of SL clubs with no ambition or future other than as A teams. To me it's a sad development soley for the benefit of SL clubs brought on by their inability to mage their finances/

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

These false teams, whether the loaned players are callow youth or grizzled veterans, are disrupting the balance and competitive integrity of the Championship. They are making the league an irrelevance by turning it's teams into appendages of SL clubs with no ambition or future other than as A teams. To me it's a sad development soley for the benefit of SL clubs brought on by their inability to mage their finances/

Maybe, but none of that is really relevant to the point I made.

Do you not see ANY benefit for clubs like Swinton?

#13 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

The only benefits are survival at any cost, which means 4/5 ambitious clubs need to move on and I am sure the RFL now know that as well.

#14 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,707 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

I have stated on other forums that there isn't a great deal wrong with the proposal put forward by the "gang of four" (plus Barrow) other than they presume to know what is best for every club in the Championships.

This statement would certainly have carried much more weight if it had been drawn up at a meeting of ALL Championship clubs and presented as a unified proposal for the system. Other clubs may want to see slight changes, etc, but by signing this proposal they are not going to get their point made.

Sadly, the "gang of four" are guilty of doing what they often complain about when the RFL and SLE impose their wishes on to Championship clubs. Get ALL the Championship clubs together and thrash it out properly and then I think we would see a workable system for everyone.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

It stinks a little of the "I'm alright Jack", it's fair to say the big Championship clubs are first in line to pick up the fringe Super League players when they are released anyway. It's complaining about x, y, z playing for teams lower in the Championship when I wouldn't be surprised to see x, y, z at the top end teams next year.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Its about selling a product to customers you want to pay £16-18 to come through the turnstyles because the Championship is a great comp in its own rights and appearing in its GF allows that club to apply for a SL spot at the next franchise party.
Somehow what Wire have done and others could do makes the comp a joke.

#17 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Its about selling a product to customers you want to pay £16-18 to come through the turnstyles because the Championship is a great comp in its own rights and appearing in its GF allows that club to apply for a SL spot at the next franchise party.
Somehow what Wire have done and others could do makes the comp a joke.

I sort of agree, however, many clubs see their partnership as giving them a chance to get an invitation to the party. I agree the championship is a great competition, but I would say that as my team tends to do ok in it, but hasn't always. It was a tough old battle only 3 to 4 years back, and we very nearly went down!
Now, I sort of have difficulty seperating what the 'big 4/5' are doing from what SL clubs are doing. They are trying to use their influence to dictate to others what to do.
What I do agree with is that this whole DR thing has created too much unrest at all levels of the game.

#18 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Swinton ain't going to sign any proposal as they are stuffed if DR is reversed
Oh hang on, they own those Warrington players so its fine.

I agree this has to be a proposal that has the backing of at least he majority of clubs. I don't the the 'big 4' are just looking after themselves, its just that those who haven't taken DR on board are those that are in the top 6 anyway. Someone had to make the stance, and I believe it had to start with one of Leigh, Fev, Fax, Sheffield or Barrow, or any combination of them. Barrow are as determined to stand alone from a formal DR arrangement as any (though they will probably take a player or 2 on loan at some point) and would back this proposal.

#19 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

This is just a total misunderstanding of the position. If anyone wants to DR a player they're at liberty to enter into a formal partnership. Once they have no need for the DR, end the agreement. This rule is there to limit DR players to one club and I think that's a Good Thing.

And they can still have players on loan.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#20 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

So the top 4 clubs in a league are unhappy being dictated to by clubs bigger than them without any input from the smaller clubs, so dictate to the clubs smaller than them what they should be allowed to do, without any input from the smaller clubs.. Delightful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users