TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

DR The fightback?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

So the top 4 clubs in a league are unhappy being dictated to by clubs bigger than them without any input from the smaller clubs, so dictate to the clubs smaller than them what they should be allowed to do, without any input from the smaller clubs.. Delightful.

But the top four clubs are not trying to dictate to the others. Where do you get that idea from? They've made an agreement between themselves and are hoping that the others will follow suit and use the DR system in the spirit intended.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#22 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

But the top four clubs are not trying to dictate to the others. Where do you get that idea from? They've made an agreement between themselves and are hoping that the others will follow suit and use the DR system in the spirit intended.

So does that mean the"top 4" are now going to take part if they have agreed a format for themselves?

#23 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

So does that mean the"top 4" are now going to take part if they have agreed a format for themselves?

Haven't a clue really but I'd presume they'd be open to taking young DR players without entering into formal partnerships if the system allowed for it. I must say I have doubts as to whether the prevention of these clubs taking DR players just because they havent partnered up would stand up to a legal challenge.

#24 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Ahead of the Northern Rail Cup/KPC1 kick-off, my two penn'orth here:

http://theseladscanr...blogspot.co.uk/

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#25 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

It stinks a little of the "I'm alright Jack", it's fair to say the big Championship clubs are first in line to pick up the fringe Super League players when they are released anyway. It's complaining about x, y, z playing for teams lower in the Championship when I wouldn't be surprised to see x, y, z at the top end teams next year.

:lol: Now then stop that.

No unmasking the self interest the gang of four base their protestations on please :D

this is about what's good for erm "The game"

Edited by The Parksider, 28 February 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#26 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'm still a touch confused by the fact that everybody keeps banging on about youth. It smacks of 'won't somebody think of the children' hysteria.

There is a clear reason why Paul Wood and Chris Bridge played for Swinton - because there was literally nowhere else for them to play apart from Super League.

It was a benefit for Warrington that they played these games, and I assume that Swinton decided that it would also benefit them, by the fact that they have signed up to the agreement and then used them.

DR in it's current form is basically the replacement for 2nd teams - old players played in 2nd teams too, so not sure why people think only kids should be able to go into the system.

By the way, I don't like it, I want to see these players playing in a Wire 2nd team, but I don;t know why people keep going back to the youth point.

I don't like it but I take your point 100%.

However the answer is out - the focus on the youth thing is a contrived argument to try to stop the status quo (no rock jokes please) being changed such that it may threaten the top CC clubs.

When this was at proposal stage Powell and Aston were clear that it was about the threat to their teams winning all the time.

#27 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

.... the self interest the gang of four base their protestations on please

this is about what's good for erm "The game"

You mean the self interest of marketing their clubs and going out and raising money so that they can sign the 'better' players?

One club that's gone down the DR path apparently only had 17 players signed on at the start of the season - if that's true you've got to ask whether they should be in the Championship (or any league for that matter) at all.

#28 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

When this was at proposal stage Powell and Aston were clear that it was about the threat to their teams winning all the time.

Really? Can you point me to that statement?

#29 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

partnerships can also work in reverse, if the championship club has a promising young player then he might get the chance to sign for the super league club therefore improving his career

Edited by Viking Warrior, 28 February 2013 - 11:03 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#30 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

You mean the self interest of marketing their clubs and going out and raising money so that they can sign the 'better' players?

One club that's gone down the DR path apparently only had 17 players signed on at the start of the season - if that's true you've got to ask whether they should be in the Championship (or any league for that matter) at all.

Any self interest you want Les.

All clubs are full of self interest, but I'm not criticising anyone for that. I applaud all clubs striving hard to get further up the ladder wether it's on Davey's millions, on Hetheringtons junior development programme, on Campbells destination Superleague policies, or Hunslet's "let's be Leeds "A" team approach.

In your first sentence you may mean Rovers, in your second you can easily mean Hunslet.

Hunslet gave your lads a good game (first time in years) on Sunday. In time their policy could see them edge out Rovers in the return especially if Kylie Leuluai and Darrel Griffin are propping!!

And that's the truth for me - the top clubs want this stopping first and foremost for their own ends. Words like "Integrity" and "youth development" are more effective in any campaign to stop the rush towards the Championship being an "A" team league. "We risk losing matches" is less effective.

YES Rovers are taking the hard way out and many clubs are taking the easy way out - that's why I keep posting that clubs serious about SL should be in there. I'd rather Featherstone stopped griping and concentrate on being too damn good for the Championship, whatever it's becoming.

#31 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Really? Can you point me to that statement?

Yes they both were worried about the quality of players their rivals could get on the cheap. They did an article each in the RL & LE - don't you get that paper?? Careful with your answer Mr. Sadler is on the forum this morning.

#32 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Striving to be as good as you possibly can through hard graft and good business practice has no place in the Championship by the looks of it Les. Much better to plod along and feed off the scraps thrown down from the SL top table. And Parky, if you think Hunslet gave Rovers a good game then you weren't at the match.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 28 February 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#33 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

Striving to be as good as you possibly can through hard graft and good business practice has no place in the Championship by the looks of it Les. Much better to plod along and feed off the scraps thrown down from the SL top table.

What on earth is up with you? What your club has strived to do has been applauded universally even by it's detractors on here.

The RFL are fully supportive and your ticking boxes whilst struggling SL clubs are unticking them

Why do you care what the "A" teams are up to? Rovers focus must be on Superleague and NOT the Championship.

Edited by The Parksider, 28 February 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#34 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Reduce the championship back down to 10 stand alone clubs and form a reserve league to be financed by the reserve and mother clubs.
Allow the championship clubs to use the DR system but allow them to use players from ANY club using strict criteria 'like' none or very little sl experience and u23 yrs of age.

#35 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Yes they both were worried about the quality of players their rivals could get on the cheap. They did an article each in the RL & LE - don't you get that paper?? Careful with your answer Mr. Sadler is on the forum this morning.

Their concern was the salary cap and how it would be applied which is a more than valid cause for concern. As I've said before to you, if the cap is no longer fit for purpose then remove it. Problem solved.

#36 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Any self interest you want Les.

All clubs are full of self interest, but I'm not criticising anyone for that. I applaud all clubs striving hard to get further up the ladder wether it's on Davey's millions, on Hetheringtons junior development programme, on Campbells destination Superleague policies, or Hunslet's "let's be Leeds "A" team approach.

In your first sentence you may mean Rovers, in your second you can easily mean Hunslet.

Hunslet gave your lads a good game (first time in years) on Sunday. In time their policy could see them edge out Rovers in the return especially if Kylie Leuluai and Darrel Griffin are propping!!

And that's the truth for me - the top clubs want this stopping first and foremost for their own ends. Words like "Integrity" and "youth development" are more effective in any campaign to stop the rush towards the Championship being an "A" team league. "We risk losing matches" is less effective.

YES Rovers are taking the hard way out and many clubs are taking the easy way out - that's why I keep posting that clubs serious about SL should be in there. I'd rather Featherstone stopped griping and concentrate on being too damn good for the Championship, whatever it's becoming.

To be fair to Fev and Sheffield in particular, they are two clubs who have invested heavily (by Championship standards, at least) in running Academy sides - against the wishes of the RFL and some Super League clubs. They are coached by people who believe that for their clubs to be a success in the long term, and RL in general in this country, then we should be producing and developing more players, not less. Both have also signed young players from SL clubs - not on dual reg agreements (though I seem to recall Fev did use them in the past with Leeds, but I may be wrong on that), but on season loans or when SL clubs don't want them. Yes, they may feel threatened, but that's only because they're trying to do things "properly", to develop into potential SL clubs in future. They also have a point about the way the system is being abused by SL clubs, as a cheap alternative to running more Academy teams/under 23s/a second team league.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#37 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Why do you care what the "A" teams are up to?

because terry might not be as narrow minded or singularly focussed as you might be assuming?
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#38 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

because terry might not be as narrow minded or singularly focussed as you might be assuming?

He's on the forum now Robin. He can voice his concerns, and equally I can refute any second hand assumption by a third party that I believe Mr. Mullaney is "narrow minded". Your intervention is merely mixing it.

Put your spoon away man.

Edited by The Parksider, 28 February 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#39 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Their concern was the salary cap and how it would be applied which is a more than valid cause for concern. As I've said before to you, if the cap is no longer fit for purpose then remove it. Problem solved.

I have said to you to judge a clubs ability to draw SL crowds on their ability to draw crowds in CC is wrong. the 2,500 criteria must go. I also strongly believe the cap is OK applied to most championship clubs but applied to ambitious Superleague clubs it may well be restrictive.

Whilst Superleague teams need capping to ensure the Elite division doesn't implode and ruin the SKY contract, no such need exists in the Championship.

There we agree and for the record I do not think your "narrow minded" :lol:

#40 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,646 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:38 AM

Striving to be as good as you possibly can through hard graft and good business practice has no place in the Championship by the looks of it Les. Much better to plod along and feed off the scraps thrown down from the SL top table. And Parky, if you think Hunslet gave Rovers a good game then you weren't at the match.

what arrogance
what an insult to the people who are working their asses of to do just that...be the best they can. I can't think of one single club in either division of the championship that isn't doing everything in its power to survive and grow.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users