Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

DR The fightback?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

And, if the twinned clubs had had a meeting and come up with an "agreement" for the others to sign, saying they had to play DR players, they'd all have said "Yay, let's do it", eh ?

No - I think the four have just managed to antagonise them and make their position more entrenched.

Maybe swinton and hunslet are antagonised,the york chairman didn't seem so

#62 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Maybe swinton and hunslet are antagonised,the york chairman didn't seem so

And will he be changing his policy ? Errr ... no.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#63 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

And why would they ? - just because Fev, Sheffield, Fax and Leigh say they have to ?

I like to think for the long term interests of the championship.

You need to remember that a number of clubs only joined this charade (Keighley& Workington being two of them i think) because of the fear that other clubs (swinton&hunlet in particular) were going to use established sl players,and they've been proved right.Also batley haven't used any yet?.

#64 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

I doubt he will this season,i doubt any of them will this season.
It needs sorting this season so we dont have to put up with this ###### next season and there after.

#65 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Yeah - tbh, I think you're missing the point.

Setting aside the rights (if there are any) and wrongs of DR, I'm questioning the advisability of the negotiation policy "Do what we say or else" when, actually, "or else" doesn't really seem to be much at all.

#66 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Yeah - tbh, I think you're missing the point.

Setting aside the rights (if there are any) and wrongs of DR, I'm questioning the advisability of the negotiation policy "Do what we say or else" when, actually, "or else" doesn't really seem to be much at all.

This is one area i'll accept these clubs are looking after there own interests.
By that i mean the clubs are very fearful of losing more fans due to the fact lots of fans are very fearful that there clubs will have no choice but to become A team like the rest them with no chance of ever bettering themselves

#67 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

This is one area i'll accept these clubs are looking after there own interests.
By that i mean the clubs are very fearful of losing more fans due to the fact lots of fans are very fearful that there clubs will have no choice but to become A team like the rest them with no chance of ever bettering themselves

Interesting that you think that being an A team will increase the fanbase.

#68 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I like to think for the long term interests of the championship.

You need to remember that a number of clubs only joined this charade (Keighley& Workington being two of them i think) because of the fear that other clubs (swinton&hunlet in particular) were going to use established sl players,and they've been proved right.Also batley haven't used any yet?.

Isn't Alex Walmsley dual registered with Batley from St Helens under a special arrangement??? The lad Fleming played last week in the TV game at Barrow and he's on loan from Cas, isn't he? So, Batley are using SL players whether it's by loan or dual reg.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#69 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Isn't Alex Walmsley dual registered with Batley from St Helens under a special arrangement??? The lad Fleming played last week in the TV game at Barrow and he's on loan from Cas, isn't he? So, Batley are using SL players whether it's by loan or dual reg.

Special only in that it predates the new rules and is thus not bound by them

#70 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Interesting that you think that being an A team will increase the fanbase.

Sorry Griff i meant the four and barrow.

#71 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,763 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Sorry Griff i meant the four and barrow.

Apology not required. Who knows anyway ?

#72 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

The four clubs can sign as many memorandum of associations that they wish but why should they expect the other clubs to agree to the three points that they have raised as issues. How do other clubs amend or add to those issues because this proposal only asks for clubs to agree and sign!!!

Some clubs might want to see the age stated as Under 25 for instance to cater for late developers who fit all the other criteria but yet can't be subject of dual registered. The silly thing also is that as dual registered player he could be recalled week by week by his SL club and yet if a club loaned the same player he would be at the Championship club for a minimum of 1 month.

This proposal asks for no more than 4 DR players at any one time but again some clubs may want to see 5 or even down to 3 but where do they get their chance to amend it.

It's not the fact that they have drawn up this memorandum between themselves it is the presumption that they alone can decide what is the best system that most would disagree with.

Edited by Keith T, 28 February 2013 - 03:04 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#73 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,378 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

:lol: Now then stop that.

No unmasking the self interest the gang of four base their protestations on please :D

this is about what's good for erm "The game"

A SL spokesman said, "You should be doing what we say not what we do," This sauce for the goose sauce for the gander stuff dosn't apply to you championship nobodies.

#74 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Will who be changing his policy?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users