Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

castleford in the mire?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

after the bradford, wakefield and salford problems i hope that another club isn't in danger of administration or worse, i hope it's just about a difference of opinion and nothing deeper......
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,262 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Can you have double irony? Isn't that a statement of fact? Where's Ed Byrne/Alannis Morrisette when you need them?
It does not look good, at all, but recent history suggests there is a long long way to go before we'll know how Cas' short and medium term future is going to pan out. Good luck to Cas, they're a wonderful club.

I agree, a little less hysteria ,schadenfreude and jumping to conclusions needed IMHO
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#23 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,890 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

a little less jumping to conclusions needed IMHO

Steve Ferres has spoken about leaving Cas in the local rag today.

He really wanted the job as it is his hometown club and thought he'd really enjoy it, but the said that he "did not enjoy it". He claimed the current Cas board was unable to make the changes to ensure the club was competitive in Superleague.

He wanted to see changes to generate more income, but the ground is holding them back and they will be in it for at least two more years. he spoke about ground improvements in relation to "safety issues" which he has spoken about before and it seems the ground far from generating the incomes other clubs grounds can generate, gives rise to too many repair costs from deterioration and recent thefts.

At this point I'd speculate (corrections welcome) that the club lack corporate facilities, lack enough bar and food outlets and don't have enough seating which attracts bigger ticket prices - am I close?

Ferres says that at the moment Cas are not on their own. He believes London and Salford have sunk low too, and Cas have outperformed them. He also believes Cas are "better at generating a crowd" than the "teams who want to come up" but the club doesn't get the income it needs from the crowds and as a result fails to meet the £4M turnover that was a requirement for Superleague (don't know if it still is)

Of course Salford will point to Koukash, London to Hughes, and Fev to Nahaboo. On Fulton Ferres says They cant rely on Jack Fulton putting his hand in his pocket to lend money to the club to keep it going, although Fulton has spoken to the contrary.

It seems to me Ferres and probably the other people running the club are looking at a lack of investment in infrastructure, with what money the club has being used to keep a decent side on the pitch. Cas have always managed to punch above their weight, they have always been able to ride out the loss of players attracted away for better money.

They beat Leeds and held Catalans. I fear however that ensuring the business on the field remains strong enough to keep the faithful coming means there's no money to improve matters off it. The difference between Mr. Fulton and Mr. Ferres seems to be with regard to how much Mr. Fulton can put in. Ferres says they can't rely on him and I think Mr. Fulton says they can.

But the definition of "rely" may be Cas can rely on him to keep them going whilst something turns up, but cannot invest the monies Ferres needed to try to take things forward. Just a considered view?

#24 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

rats leavig a sinking ship is a derogatory term

Would you say this to one of these peoples' faces?

how about grabbing yurelf a sense of proportion and perspective?

If there were some sense of loyalty and commitment to Castleford, maybe they would stay and try and right the ship instead of the course of action they are taking in leaving them to their fate without any help they have to offer due to their expertise. Yes, I would say that. Maybe the truth hurts.

#25 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,262 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

If there were some sense of loyalty and commitment to Castleford, maybe they would stay and try and right the ship instead of the course of action they are taking in leaving them to their fate without any help they have to offer due to their expertise. Yes, I would say that. Maybe the truth hurts.

people have to feed house and clothe their familie: that is where peoples' committment and loyalty is supposed to lie. Not showing committment and loyalty at work is when people don't do their work properly. There is no evidence that this is the case.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#26 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,890 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

There is no evidence that this is the case.

Indeed.

The evidence is actually there, as I set out above, that Castleford can't afford to invest in off the field developments that will increase income streams. I don't know what this magical "help they have to offer due to their expertise" is Mr. K goes on about?.

The reality is clear that money solves everything, and sadly Castleford have not got enough of it.

Ferres speaks about the next two years and the clubs that want to come up to Superleague, so it's clear he feels that Castleford's place in Superleague will be under threat and the club are to be measured against their rivals. It's my guess that he's suggested various things but the budget is not there.

If any company brings in someone to turn it round but the two parties can't agree on the turn round solutions then it's simply an honourable thing to do to resign and move on which Ferres has done, and the company to thank him for his efforts which they have. Neither party deserves castigation, only best wishes that something else or someone else will turn up.

Edited by The Parksider, 27 February 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#27 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,890 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

after the bradford, wakefield and salford problems i hope that another club isn't in danger of administration or worse, i hope it's just about a difference of opinion and nothing deeper......

The signals look like a club that has cut player spending and investment down and whose chairman has injected funds JUST enough to balance the books on a low turnover, below SL level. No signs of going bust, no talk of mounting debts.

#28 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,673 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Does everyone who leaves a job give the real reasons why they left? In my experience, the one thing people do is blame someone else. It may be that Ferres is expressing his sincere opinion, but it also may be that there is another side to the story.

As for Fozzard, he may have been an excellent player but what are his qualifications to be Commercial Manager? Maybe he's missed his targets, had a poor appraisal and decided to pursue other opportunities. he's not likely to give that as a reason, even if it were true.

#29 Cake Tiger

Cake Tiger
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

As for Fozzard, he may have been an excellent player but what are his qualifications to be Commercial Manager? Maybe he's missed his targets, had a poor appraisal and decided to pursue other opportunities. he's not likely to give that as a reason, even if it were true.

This I agree with. How about appointing someone with commercial experience who also knows a bit about RL rather than "jobs for the boys"?

#30 St.Clarence.

St.Clarence.
  • Players
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

And Wheldon Road is not a ship either.

B)

What's the latest news on Wheldon Road about Cas getting out?Have the RFL given them a deadline.

#31 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

What's the latest news on Wheldon Road about Cas getting out?Have the RFL given them a deadline.

Sadly for Cas, they won't be getting out of Wheldon Road. They can't sell it and even if they could, it's value is nowhere near the build cost of the new stadium at Cas Vegas. Last I heard, the proposed site for the new stadium was being looked at for use as an office complex.

#32 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,373 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Can you have double irony? Isn't that a statement of fact? Where's Ed Byrne/Alannis Morrisette when you need them?

Lol

#33 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

Sadly for Cas, they won't be getting out of Wheldon Road. They can't sell it and even if they could, it's value is nowhere near the build cost of the new stadium at Cas Vegas. Last I heard, the proposed site for the new stadium was being looked at for use as an office complex.

You are chucking a lot of stuff into this thread, none of it without any proof - what is your motive?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#34 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:30 AM

Nick Fozzard@Fozzythebear1
Individuals that hold Castleford Rugby League Club back must stand down from their positions. My reasons for leaving will be heard.

More resignations are coming next week.

Sounds like a man with a bee in his bonnet about something or somebody!
Posted Image

#35 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

Sounds like a man with a bee in his bonnet about something or somebody!

professional to the end
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#36 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,890 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

The problems over getting to Glasshoughton are well documented. In the 2009 round of licenses Cas and Wakefield were given a deadline of sorts with warning letters over their place in SL, this was when no SL club lost their place (but Widnes were dumped on).

The warning was not carried out in 2012 even though neither club had gone anywhere. Wakefield claimed they'll be in Newmarket in 2015, with the RFL passing them for SL with the rider "the stadium position is uncertain".

Castleford were congratulated on a "strategy for commercial and supporter growth", but the riders were this would only be achieved "upon the move to a new facility in 2013" Further observations were that the business was in an "inadequate" facility, and that the challenge for Cas was wholly a new stadium.

That Cas (and Wakefield) passed for Superleague second time round was IMHO indicative that those who didn't get in provided very poor applications, which seemingly meant the original warnings were empty because the RFL/Committee had no alternatives.

You can see above Kenny and Pontey squaring up over the ground issue, this is because the RFL/Licensing committee will have an alternative to Cas with a strong 2015 license application from Fev. If one replaces the other then Featherstone will have free reign to move in on Cas junior players and floating fans in the area. That's what licensing is all about - fighting each other for resources.

In reality if it happens Cas won't lose their place because Fev get a place, but the link will still be made :rolleyes: .

Edited by The Parksider, 28 February 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#37 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

You are chucking a lot of stuff into this thread, none of it without any proof - what is your motive?

Erm, someone asked a question and I let them have my understanding of the current situation.

Don't be so touchy, one of the first things your last CEO did was to 'fess up about the lack of hope regarding the new stadium and propose improvements to WR instead. Something that Cas should have been doing ten years ago, it might have prevented your current, less than ideal situation.

OK, the office block thing is speculation, just heard it from a couple of former colleagues at WMDC, but if you look carefully, you'll see that all I said was "I heard", at no point did I claim it was a definite thing.

As for motive, as Parky points out, there will be competition for your license next time, as a fan of the club looking to come up, I am naturally very interested in the happenings at what I perceive to be Super League's weakest club.

#38 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,487 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

He wanted to see changes to generate more income, but the ground is holding them back and they will be in it for at least two more years. he spoke about ground improvements in relation to "safety issues" which he has spoken about before and it seems the ground far from generating the incomes other clubs grounds can generate, gives rise to too many repair costs from deterioration and recent thefts.

I keep saying this but owning your own ground isn't the panacea you'd think it was. If I needed a van for a couple of weeks a year, would I buy one or rent one ? Hmmmm....
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,988 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

As wlyw2 quoted

Individuals that hold Castleford Rugby League Club back must stand down from their positions. My reasons for leaving will be heard.

Fozzard stood down, so was he also holding them back?

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Erm, someone asked a question and I let them have my understanding of the current situation.

Don't be so touchy, one of the first things your last CEO did was to 'fess up about the lack of hope regarding the new stadium and propose improvements to WR instead. Something that Cas should have been doing ten years ago, it might have prevented your current, less than ideal situation.

OK, the office block thing is speculation, just heard it from a couple of former colleagues at WMDC, but if you look carefully, you'll see that all I said was "I heard", at no point did I claim it was a definite thing.

As for motive, as Parky points out, there will be competition for your license next time, as a fan of the club looking to come up, I am naturally very interested in the happenings at what I perceive to be Super League's weakest club.

I was referring more to this quote

Stand up wind of the fan, there's a load of brown stuff about to hit it

But I do now realise it was on the other Cas thread so apologies

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users