Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

01/03/13 - St Helens v Leeds Rhinos - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. St Helens (10 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

2. Leeds Rhinos (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

3. Draw (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Discuss the game here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

St Helens squad: Ade Gardner, Jordan Turner, Sia Soliola, Francis Meli, Jonny Lomax, James Roby, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, Tony Puletua, Jon Wilkin, Willie Manu, Anthony Laffranchi, Mark Flanagan, Paul Clough, Gary Wheeler, Josh Jones, Joe Greenwood, Alex Walmsley, Anthony Walker, Mark Percival.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Leeds squad: Kallum Watkins, Joel Moon, Ryan Hall, Danny McGuire, Rob Burrow, Kylie Leuluai, Paul McShane, Jamie Peacock, Jamie Jones-Buchanan, Carl Ablett, Kevin Sinfield, Stevie Ward, Brett Delaney, Ryan Bailey, Ian Kirke, Chris Clarkson, Mitch Achurch, Richard Moore, Joe Vickery.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Man for man Leeds look much stronger. Iirc the WCC hang over can hit at any time, but not necessarily the week afterwards, and on that basis it's an away win for me.

#5 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

loiners by 10

Edited by Viking Warrior, 27 February 2013 - 04:56 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#6 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Man for man Leeds look much stronger. Iirc the WCC hang over can hit at any time, but not necessarily the week afterwards, and on that basis it's an away win for me.

I genuinely think the match last year will have a bearing as Leeds were left red faced (along with their red hair) by a strong Saints showing. Despite the inevitable comments that it wont add an extra motivation to the Leeds team, privately, if you get embarrassed by a team one year, they will want to make up for that this year!

Should be a good game, Saints look like they are slowly improving, not sure what to expect from us but hopefully will be a good response to the WCC match.

Tough few weeks for us, Saints, Huddersfield and Wigan in consecutive weeks. Will be happy taking two wins from those matches!

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Ref: P Bentham Vid Ref: J Child Touch J: R Hicks Touch J: C Sharrad Reserve: D Sharpe Time K: D Campbell M Com: I Ollerton
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#8 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 920 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

I had a quick "scout" of Saints from the weekend last night. Bradford's defense was shocking. The 1st 5 tries could and should have been stopped. The key for them though is James Roby (like we didn't already know that anyway). The Bulls marker Defense was non existent, meaning Roby could do as he pleased. He picked the ball up 57 times (making 199m), sometimes running only a metre or so, other times 10, but because he was allowed to it got Saints on the front foot and the forwards played off that. The starting forward pack, off the back of Roby, managed 755m!!! Thats 126m per player!!! They share out the work load too. If our markers work hard, we will win this game comfortably IMHO.

Saints' Left side Defense of Jones and Meli are the weak link. Both the Bulls tries came down that side after Bradford put men in motion. It put Jones and Meli all at sea and both came running in, leaving the outside open. If we work Watkins into the line with Ablett we could end up having a hell of a lot of joy down there. For comparisons sake too, Bradford's right edge made 303m against those 2, where as the left only made 118m.

I know we are a very left sided team, but I think that could play into their hands. I'd have loved to have seen Watkins lining up as a 3 on Friday.

Even with our injuries, we still look stronger in the backs. They have a beast of a pack though and their run on 6 last Sunday were;

Puletua (133m)
Roby (199m)
Laffranchi (121m)
Manu (82m)
Soliola (153m)
Flanagan (67m)

They have size and speed, but if we stop Roby before he gets out of the blocks, we kill half of their threat.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#9 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 920 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

So, you are looking at:

Lomax - Watkins
Gardner - Vickery
Turner - Ablett
Jones - Moon
Meli - Hall
Wheeler - Sinfield
Wilkin - McGuire
Puletua - Leuluai
Roby - Burrow
Laffranchi - Peacock
Soliola - Delaney
Manu - JJB
Flanagan - Ward

LMS - Bailey
Clough - Kirke
Greenwood - Clarkson
Walmsley - Achurch

Walker - McShane
Percival - Moore
​
IMO, Leeds edge it because of the Backs. It does all depend on which Leeds team turn up though. The one who want to win, or the one that look like they want to get through another regular season game.

FWIW too, Over the last 3 years the scores between the 2 have been:

24/04/10 - St Helens 41-20 Leeds - SL (11,048)
03/07/10 - Leeds 28-24 St Helens - SL (17,200)
07/08/10 - Leeds 32-28 St Helens - CCSF (15,265 - Huddersfield)

19/03/11 - Leeds 16-30 St Helens - SL (16,034)
03/06/11 - St Helens 42-16 Leeds - SL (9,062 - Widnes)
08/10/11 - St Helens 16-32 Leeds - SLGF (69,107 - Old Trafford)

25/03/12 - St Helens 46-6 Leeds - SL (15,199)
21/05/12 - Leeds 18-31 St Helens - SL (15,343 - Monday Night)

In that time, 8 games have been played. 6 in the SL, 1 in the Challenge Cup and 1 in the Grand Final.

In SL, Saints have won 5, Leeds Have won 1. Saints have also scored 214 points (36 ppg) where Leeds have only scored 104 (17)

If recent history tells us anything, it is that St Helens could be on for a big win in this game.

Add to that, Leeds haven't won at St Helens since a 14-10 win at Knowsley Road on March 28th, 2008. That is coming up on 5 years (1,798 days) now.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

St Helens, by 12.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

Very hard to call. As unimpressive as we've looked so far we were looking worse going into this game last season and then tore Leeds to pieces to kick start our campaign. As Harrigan says we have a strong record against them in the regular rounds in recent years so I'm hopeful we can get the points here. You can never be too confident going up against a team of Leeds' quality and experience though.

Saints by 2 - 3 scores but it wouldn't come as much of a surprise if instead we got hammered.

#12 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

Saints to pinch this tight game, I'll go for 4 pts diff.

#13 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,202 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Well, Brown has fallen for the Saints line it seems, dropping our rather good young winger Makinson for Meli and Gardner, the former a total liability in defence with only his size to recommend him (certainly not his rugby brain or work ethic because he has neither) and the latter his kick returns which is the only element of the game in which he is better than Makinson. But these two must play no matter what because they are senior players. Man, it annoys me!

Anywho, all Leeds have to do - as I know so well having seen it repeatedly in grand finals - is to kick to Meli's wing or run at Meli's wing and they have the game sown up. They really don't need to do anything else. Jones can't defend either so that left edge will be a gift to Sinfield if his kicking is on form and Hall if his catching is on form, not to mention the whole team for the drop out opportunities when Meli fluffs the bouncing ball or dribbling ball or bomb (he invariably fluffs them all in a match).

I'd say Saints will lose this one. Could be a bit of a drubbing given our left edge in particular. I hope Lomax gets a chance to shine though as the lad deserves to.

#14 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

Well, Brown has fallen for the Saints line it seems, dropping our rather good young winger Makinson for Meli and Gardner, the former a total liability in defence with only his size to recommend him (certainly not his rugby brain or work ethic because he has neither) and the latter his kick returns which is the only element of the game in which he is better than Makinson. But these two must play no matter what because they are senior players. Man, it annoys me!

Anywho, all Leeds have to do - as I know so well having seen it repeatedly in grand finals - is to kick to Meli's wing or run at Meli's wing and they have the game sown up. They really don't need to do anything else. Jones can't defend either so that left edge will be a gift to Sinfield if his kicking is on form and Hall if his catching is on form, not to mention the whole team for the drop out opportunities when Meli fluffs the bouncing ball or dribbling ball or bomb (he invariably fluffs them all in a match).

I'd say Saints will lose this one. Could be a bit of a drubbing given our left edge in particular. I hope Lomax gets a chance to shine though as the lad deserves to.

Don't you love an optimist

#15 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Leeds haven't won at Saints for 5 years year's apparently.So I am going percentages its time they did.Although I thught that Saints were due a GF win aftr 2007 ,so thats shoots my theory out of the water.Seriously Sants do look like they are improving under Bown now ad they will be up for it.Saints by 6
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#16 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

WCC hangover gives Saints a win by 12.

#17 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Brian McDermott looks ahead to Friday's trip to St Helens

DO YOU OWE ST HELENS ONE AFTER WHAT HAPPENED LAST SEASON AT LANGTREE PARK?
I think it is fair to say that St Helens have done a job on us in the last four meetings between the two sides and for the last two seasons we have not performed well against them. Some of that is down to Saints playing well but of course we have not produced a good enough performance in those four games. Saints have made a good start to the season and I am sure Nathan Brown will be evolving the team into his side throughout the season. In Jonny Lomax they have a very exciting talent and someone who has already made his mark on the new competition. We are looking forward to going back to Langtree Park, it is a well designed stadium and does not feel like a new venue which shows that a lot of care and attention went into its construction to make it feel like home for St Helens.

HOW IS YOUR SIDE SHAPING UP?
Ryan Bailey has an outside chance of being right for Friday night but we will be advised by the medical team as to whether he is ready to go or will need another week. Richard Moore is back in contention and I know he was miffed to miss out on the World Club Challenge last week having played well against Salford the previous week. He will get his chance this week and I am sure he will be ready for another big performance. Otherwise we are pretty much as we were last week for the Melbourne game. Everyone was a bit down after the game and on Saturday but when we reviewed the game on Monday, you are able to see the match in a different light and we played really well. We opened up Melbourne on a number of occasions, which not many sides will do against the Storm, and we pushed them all the way. Whilst no one will ever be satisfied with a loss at the Rhinos, we were able to take encouragement from our performance.

WHAT SORT OF A GAME ARE YOU EXPECTING ON FRIDAY NIGHT?
In recent years, because of the history between the sides, people have talked up the game beforehand as being a great contest but unfortunately we haven't played our part and have been rolled over by Saints. We are certainly ready for a big performance after last week and looking forward to it. Given the magnitude of last week's game and the effort the players put in, this week has been good and we have always known that we have Saints next up and that is what our focus is now on.

Phil Daly
Media & PR Manager
Leeds Rhinos

β€œThe purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#18 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

WCC hangover gives Saints a win by 12.

Same for me but perhaps by 4-6 pts

#19 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Now how does that song go again, Oh! yes,...... It's only just begun :o
Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#20 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

Chris Irvine ‏@Chrisirvine
Leeds fans - M62 westbound beween j23 and j22 blocked at present, severe delays

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users