Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

01/03/13 - St Helens v Leeds Rhinos - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. St Helens (10 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

2. Leeds Rhinos (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

3. Draw (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

Shame that young widnes lad mark percival ended up at saints......another one that slipped through the net

#62 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,925 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Percival is a great prospect.
Posted Image

#63 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Stevo is gonna buy Mark Percival a Tissot.

Edited by hindle xiii, 01 March 2013 - 09:43 PM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#64 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Eddie said saints are missing 4/5 regulars who are they?

#65 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

3 tries apeice! Ha. Swing low...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#66 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,201 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Eddie said saints are missing 4/5 regulars who are they?

Players who arnt playing for Saints I can see are:

Makinson, Gaskell, Flanagan, Perry, Wellens and Hohaia.

#67 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Players who arnt playing for Saints I can see are:

Makinson, Gaskell, Flanagan, Perry, Wellens and Hohaia.

I'd only miss makinson and gaskell from that list

#68 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

The only question mark about Percival was whether he was too small for SL, he was electric at academy level and I guess he's proved any doubters wrong today. Just hope that Saints conditioners don't ruin him with too much weight training too young like they have with Jones, Maggenis, Wheeler, etc. Great centre play is more about vision, footwork, finesse and quickness rather than just size - we've lost sight of that over the years with second rowers masquerading as centres.

#69 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

Doing well on Stevo bingo here! Terra firma ticked!

Hope you got the 'for any youngsters watching'....

#70 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

With lomax, makinson, soliola, percival, gaskell saints backs look pretty decent......if only brown would pick them all at the same time

#71 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

I'd only miss makinson and gaskell from that list

two prospects but of the other 3 missing,wellens is passed it,Perry and Hohihia must be up there as the worst overseas signings in SL history

#72 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

With lomax, makinson, soliola, percival, gaskell saints backs look pretty decent......if only brown would pick them all at the same time

Need to put Wellens out to pasture, release the dud Hohaia and drop the useless Turner, then build for the future. They are a scrum half short, as I still think Lomax is a full back in the Tomkins mold.

#73 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

Ah well, not too disheartened with that. 3 tries apiece is respectable even though Leeds' dominance for the majority of the game can't be overlooked.

Percival has put a big smile on my face with that performance. Hopefully Wheeler will recover quickly, it really is such a pity that this keeps happening :(

I wish Eddie would stop talking about our comeback ability. I can't remember an exciting comeback since Castleford in late 2010. I also hope that McManus is actively looking for a half back as our kicking game and organisation need to improve if we're going to compete for trophies again.

Anyway, well done Leeds on a deserved win.

Edited by MrFussy, 01 March 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#74 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

It was the first game this season proper that actually had a whiff of a friendly about it.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#75 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Need to put Wellens out to pasture, release the dud Hohaia and drop the useless Turner, then build for the future. They are a scrum half short, as I still think Lomax is a full back in the Tomkins mold.

Totally agree.....lomax looks good at full back......no need for wilkin at SH.....gaskell is decent at SO (who played SO tonight btw????)

#76 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,130 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

Totally agree.....lomax looks good at full back......no need for wilkin at SH.....gaskell is decent at SO (who played SO tonight btw????)

Wheeler initially I think.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#77 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

It was the first game this season proper that actually had a whiff of a friendly about it.

I had the same impression with the strange decisions of Sinfield taking the two twice early on when they had Saints on the rack. Thought the intensity improved as the game went on, but Percival, Puletua and Lomax aside, Saints looked pretty clueless in attack. Still far too reliant on Roby scoots with teams dulling its affect by collapsing the interior defence to swallow him up and prevent a second phase. He still gets plenty cheap yards, but fewer breaks and half breaks as a consequence.

#78 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Don't you love an optimist

You see. I know my team. Except that Leeds didn't aim for Meli very much.

#79 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,564 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hohaia is a very good fullback. He's just naff in the halves.

We will not work with Lomax and Gaskell in the halves but we need to, until either they develop or we find another halfback from somewhere. No good looking for quick fixes as with young players there aren't any.

#80 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hohaia is a very good fullback. He's just naff in the halves.

Sorry but Hohaia is NOT very good at anything,certainly not a valued overseas quota spot and not for 4 years