Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

01/03/13 - St Helens v Leeds Rhinos - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. St Helens (10 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

2. Leeds Rhinos (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

3. Draw (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:07 PM

Hohaia is a very good fullback. He's just naff in the halves.

We will not work with Lomax and Gaskell in the halves but we need to, until either they develop or we find another halfback from somewhere. No good looking for quick fixes as with young players there aren't any.

Hohaia is awful wherever he plays, complete waste of a shirt. Lomax is only half effective at scrum half and should be playing full back permanently. I rate Gaskell and he needs a run at stand off. The big gaping hole is scrum half.

Edited by giwildgo, 01 March 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#82 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

Has hohaia been given much of a chance at full back at saints?.......it appears to have been his position of choice at nz warriors

#83 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hohaia is awful wherever he plays, complete waste of a shirt. Lomax is only half effective at scrum half and should be playing full back permanently. I rate Gaskell and he needs a run at stand off. The big gaping hole is scrum half.

I agree completely. If we want to see the Saints of the 2006 era then big changes need to be made. It may take a couple of years but if they go for a 1 - 7 along the lines of:

Jonny Lomax, Tommy Makinson, Josh Jones, Mark Percival, Jodie Broughton, Lee Gaskell, Michael Dobson.

Then obviously keep Roby. Keep Puluetua, Soliola, Manu, Mcarthy Scarsbrook and Walmsley and get rid of the rest and sign a work horse prop and second rower (someone along the lines of Danny Kirmond)

Use Puluetua and either Manu or Sia Soliola as impact players. Have Wellens at 13 also.

Huge pack and scarily quick backs and direction from Dobson and Gaskell. I bet that side would be cheaper than the one they have now rather than paying the wages of Perry, Hohaia and Laffranchi.

#84 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,471 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:18 AM

Sorry but Hohaia is NOT very good at anything,certainly not a valued overseas quota spot and not for 4 years

He is a very good fullback. We look like a different side when he plays there.

#85 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:19 AM

There are way too many average players at Saints. The youngsters they have have potential, but they aren't stars yet and I feel that some of them may have leaked too early (some have been around a while now and aren't setting the world alight still).
Saints used to reel off these talented youngsters one after the other. Has the production line slowed down?
Posted Image

#86 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:51 AM

I believe the notion that Hohaia is a good fullback comes from the fact that he played there in the New Zealand team that won the world cup.

In his last season with the Warriors he had a terrible start which resulted in him being dropped altogether before he returned and went onto interchange at hooker with the far more effective Aaron Heremaia.

I actually felt ill when I saw that we'd given him a 4 year deal. It would be tragic if he got the fullback shirt at Saints ahead of either Lomax or Makinson.

#87 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

I agree completely. If we want to see the Saints of the 2006 era then big changes need to be made. It may take a couple of years but if they go for a 1 - 7 along the lines of:

Jonny Lomax, Tommy Makinson, Josh Jones, Mark Percival, Jodie Broughton, Lee Gaskell, Michael Dobson.

Then obviously keep Roby. Keep Puluetua, Soliola, Manu, Mcarthy Scarsbrook and Walmsley and get rid of the rest and sign a work horse prop and second rower (someone along the lines of Danny Kirmond)

Use Puluetua and either Manu or Sia Soliola as impact players. Have Wellens at 13 also.

Huge pack and scarily quick backs and direction from Dobson and Gaskell. I bet that side would be cheaper than the one they have now rather than paying the wages of Perry, Hohaia and Laffranchi.

I very much doubt we'll see a team like the 2006 one again for a long, long time, but I generally agree with most of what you say.

Puletua is likely to be off at the end of the year after giving us some great service. I also wouldn't put Wellens at 13. This has been suggested for some time but while I may be missing something I'm struggling to think what attributes he has which would make this a successful transition. I'll always have affection for him and remember the outstanding contribution which he's made over the years (particularly in 2006 when he was widely considered to be Superleague's finest), but I'd respectfully ask (tell!!) him to retire now and give him a non-playing role at the club.

I completely agree that we're wasting money on Perry and Hohaia. I don't blame the club for signing Perry because at the time he'd recently played in the Anzac game and for NSW and all the signs pointed to him being a great acquisition. Assuming his contract isn't extended then I'd be happy to write his stay off as one of those things that should've worked out but for whatever reason just didn't. I feel for Laffranchi, he's come in at the worst possible time with Graham going and was never a suitable replacement. As a workhorse second rower in a solid pack I'm sure he'd be a fine and reliable player. That's not to say I'd keep him beyond the end of the year though given the current setup.

Edited by MrFussy, 02 March 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#88 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 981 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

I enjoyed the game. It was very tactical for the 1st 60. Both teams kicking early, looking to force the error that never came. It reminded me of an NRL game in that sense. Leeds just ground Saints down though and finished their opportunities when it counted. The Moon/Hall combo will cause some damage this year when it dries up. I can't wait until BJB comes back in a month or so too. A 3/4 line of Jones-Bishop, Watkins, Moon, Hall has some points in it.

I thought Peacock and Delaney were immense last night too. I gave the MoM in commentary to Burrow but Peacock wasn't far behind.

Percival really impressed me. When I saw the matchup I thought Ablett would have a field day but that was one of the most impressive debuts I have seen.

The crowd was 12,200ish which was a shame. How 1,000 Leeds fans managed to get there, ill never know. I know a load who gave up and turned around. I was lucky that I found out about the crash on the M62 just after I set off so I went via Burnley over the hills. A 60 mile journey took 3hrs 15 mins and was closer to 100 miles I reckon there would have been another 2k on the attendance had it not been for the crash anyway.

Leeds fans just before kick off
Posted Image

Langtree Park
Posted Image

In game
Posted Image

Leeds fans at Full Time (Good effort)
Posted Image

Tale of the game
Posted Image

Edited by Harrigan, 02 March 2013 - 10:32 AM.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#89 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

I very much doubt we'll see a team like the 2006 one again for a long, long time, but I generally agree with most of what you say.

Puletua is likely to be off at the end of the year after giving us some great service. I also wouldn't put Wellens at 13. This has been suggested for some time but while I may be missing something I'm struggling to think what attributes he has which would make this a successful transition. I'll always have affection for him and remember the outstanding contribution which he's made over the years (particularly in 2006 when he was widely considered to be Superleague's finest), but I'd respectfully ask (tell!!) him to retire now and give him a non-playing role at the club.

I completely agree that we're wasting money on Perry and Hohaia. I don't blame the club for signing Perry because at the time he'd recently played in the Anzac game and for NSW and all the signs pointed to him being a great acquisition. Assuming his contract isn't extended then I'd be happy to write his stay off as one of those things that should've worked out but for whatever reason just didn't. I feel for Laffranchi, he's come in at the worst possible time with Graham going and was never a suitable replacement. As a workhorse second rower in a solid pack I'm sure he'd be a fine and reliable player. That's not to say I'd keep him beyond the end of the year though given the current setup.

Obviously not as good, I don't think we'll see a better side than that Saints in the near future of SL but they'll have a similar flair to what that side have.

Saints are just so boring to watch as it stands. Lomax is definitely the full back for years to come, he looked fairly solid under the high ball and is the best player in England apart from Sam Tomkins at running with the ball in space. I don't rate Meli at all, he's been past his sell by date for a while I think. Gardner would be a good signing for any SL club, he got 2 or 3 penalties last night by just running as fast as he could straight into the opposition winning the collision and trying to get a quick play the ball, but I don't think he has the pace to blow teams away. Turner the less said the better.

#90 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

Obviously not as good, I don't think we'll see a better side than that Saints in the near future of SL but they'll have a similar flair to what that side have.

Saints are just so boring to watch as it stands. Lomax is definitely the full back for years to come, he looked fairly solid under the high ball and is the best player in England apart from Sam Tomkins at running with the ball in space. I don't rate Meli at all, he's been past his sell by date for a while I think. Gardner would be a good signing for any SL club, he got 2 or 3 penalties last night by just running as fast as he could straight into the opposition winning the collision and trying to get a quick play the ball, but I don't think he has the pace to blow teams away. Turner the less said the better.

Some good points. Saints do need a creative player to make chances. Last night witnessed a lot of one-man rugby from the Saints. Once again, Burrows was causing havoc with his elusive running.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 02 March 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#91 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

We have been mediocre AND inconsistent yet are only 3 points off top. There is a winning side in that squad, I'm not convinced Brown will pick it though.
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#92 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,896 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

I actually felt ill when I saw that we'd given him a 4 year deal.

Ha ha, I love that line. Shows the passion for our game.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#93 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users