Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

02/03/13 - Widnes Vikings v Hull FC - KO 5.45pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Widnes Vikings (9 votes [52.94%])

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

2. Hull FC (8 votes [47.06%])

Percentage of vote: 47.06%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 brooza

brooza
  • 4,244 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hull have to get rid of Seymour.
Any truth in the rumours about Westerman tweeting he should be at a bigger and better club than Hull FC?

Someone else tweeted that and Westerman retweeted it. He's since apologised and said it was an accident, he meant to retweet something else

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#142 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,551 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hull have to get rid of Seymour.
Any truth in the rumours about Westerman tweeting he should be at a bigger and better club than Hull FC?

Completely overrated penalty machine. I've been saying this from the first few weeks of his Hull career. I rate Whiting as a far better player with much more game sense and consistency and by far a better team player.

How the old board decided he was worth the fee they paid for him I don't know.

But in terms of his alleged Twitter comment, if he thinks he could get into Leeds, Wigan, Saints or Warrington, he's having a laugh. I'd hazard a guess that Hudds and Catalans are fairly happy with their back row as well.
Posted Image

#143 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,649 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Someone else tweeted that and Westerman retweeted it. He's since apologised and said it was an accident, he meant to retweet something else

Ooooh! wonder if he's fibbing?

I love a conspiracy, me.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#144 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

What struck me about the game was that Widnes won because they looked the better side in every respect, including balance and game plan. Give what Gentle and Betts have had to work with, that is testimony to Betts' ability to build a team and get the most from their personnel. He is showing more coaching talent than I expected - good on him. As for Gentle, and Sandercock at HKR, they seem to get rather less than the sum of their parts from their teams. The 5 best teams so far all have European coaches - I am counting Smith as European for these purposes given his British passport and longevity in the British game.
Maybe FC were hasty in ditching Agar? :)

#145 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Give what Gentle and Betts have had to work with, that is testimony to Betts' ability to build a team and get the most from their personnel.

I'm certainly impressed by what Betts has done in a relatively short space of time. I'd certainly use it as an example to Salford that, despite what people say, it is possible to become competitive within 12-18 months with the right people in place.

The only negative thing about Widnes' upturn in fortunes is that we now appear to have lost Maximus Decimus for good on these forums. A very interesting forumite on a number of topics, he backed the wrong horse when claiming adamantly that Betts should have been sacked by this time last year and disappeared once they put a few wins together.

Edited by Just Browny, 03 March 2013 - 02:32 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#146 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

The only negative thing about Widnes' upturn in fortunes is that we now appear to have lost Maximus Decimus for good on these forums. A very interesting forumite on a number of topics, he backed the wrong horse when claiming adamantly that Betts should have been sacked by this time last year and disappeared once they put a few wins together.

Eh? Without checking back I'm sure he's already posted a couple of times on this thread.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#147 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

I thought I might have calmed down after last night but i haven't...
Its ok Gentle having ago at the players but there his players and they are following his instructions. Firstly why did he drop Crooks and bring Arundel in Crooks has been been a shining light from our juniors and hasn't put a foot wrong this season the same as Chris Green another player who should have kept his spot. I have not been impressed with Arundel at all not enough to justify the dropping Crooks anyway.
When Jason Crookes is fit then we should go with a Lineham Crookes wing combination because Briscoe at the minute is living on his reputation and if his decision on moving to the NRL is effecting his performance the he needs to get it sorted and move on and concentrate on this year. When he broke last night he should of gone for it instead of running around like a rabbit in headlights, his positioning against Warrington defending kicks last week was apparent again.
As Ullman said there is something clearly wrong with Seymore you can see the lad trying but Gentle is putting him in an impossible postion playing him when some fans are constantly on his back and the poor form he is going through, its time to give Nicklas ago.

Edited by westhuller, 03 March 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#148 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

Eh? Without checking back I'm sure he's already posted a couple of times on this thread.

He has - any absence was probably a complete coincidence, some people (including myself) drift in and out from time to time.

#149 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,551 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

What struck me about the game was that Widnes won because they looked the better side in every respect, including balance and game plan. Give what Gentle and Betts have had to work with, that is testimony to Betts' ability to build a team and get the most from their personnel. He is showing more coaching talent than I expected - good on him. As for Gentle, and Sandercock at HKR, they seem to get rather less than the sum of their parts from their teams. The 5 best teams so far all have European coaches - I am counting Smith as European for these purposes given his British passport and longevity in the British game.
Maybe FC were hasty in ditching Agar? :)

The 5 best teams have had an Aussie come in and build the vast majority of their squad and strategies for them.

Leeds - Tony Smith, then McClennan
Wigan - Michael Maguire
Warrington - Tony Smith (very similar squad but completely changed their style around)
Saints - Millward, Anderson (followed by Potter and Brown although no success)
Huddersfield - Nathan Brown
Catalans - Trent Robinson

Posted Image

#150 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

:mellow: So he has.

Ah well, was only trying to get a bite on his comments on Betts. Hi Max.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#151 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

The 5 best teams have had an Aussie come in and build the vast majority of their squad and strategies for them.

Leeds - Tony Smith, then McClennan
Wigan - Michael Maguire
Warrington - Tony Smith (very similar squad but completely changed their style around)
Saints - Millward, Anderson (followed by Potter and Brown although no success)
Huddersfield - Nathan Brown
Catalans - Trent Robinson

You're going to use facts are you? Since when has that been the TRL way? Arguably, as I have TS as an honorary Brit that allows 3 of the clubs' renaissance to be made in Europe, Anderson is picking up the pieces after Brown's increasingly erratic reign was taking them backwards. No argument with Wigan and Cats.
Perhaps a narrower point is that Gentle and Sandercock aren't very good, despite being Aussies?

#152 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

It would seem that every time we beat Hull Gentle finds their performance unacceptable/inexcusable.

Is this the norm when Hull lose or is it only when they play us?
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#153 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,649 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

It would seem that every time we beat Hull Gentle finds their performance unacceptable/inexcusable.

With respect mate, if you look at Widnes v Hull this year and the corresponding fixture last year, I think he has a point. I don't think he's been too disrespectful to your lot.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#154 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

With respect mate, if you look at Widnes v Hull this year and the corresponding fixture last year, I think he has a point. I don't think he's been too disrespectful to your lot.

Is it just against us though, Rob.

The cynic in me wonders if he's just trying to cover his own ####.

For what its worth, I thought you were going ok for most of the first half.

But Seymour's always looked a liability to me.

And from memory, most of the unforced errors were after you'd gone behind.
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#155 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,551 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

You're going to use facts are you? Since when has that been the TRL way? Arguably, as I have TS as an honorary Brit that allows 3 of the clubs' renaissance to be made in Europe, Anderson is picking up the pieces after Brown's increasingly erratic reign was taking them backwards. No argument with Wigan and Cats.
Perhaps a narrower point is that Gentle and Sandercock aren't very good, despite being Aussies?

Brown did manage to propel Huddersfield from 10th to 3rd (and a cup final) in one season though, and kept them in the play offs every year after. We can't exactly go giving Anderson tons of praise yet.

I'm still backing Gentle. Until he can get hold of another half back, the club can't go forward. Agar had 3 years to get one. He gave us the infamous Chris Thorman, an injury prone Sean Long and left us with Seymour. Gentle's managed to bring in Holdsworth so far, and been the first coach with the bottle to drop Horne. Unfortunately with Seymour proving to be complete gash, he's had to pick him again!

Posted Image

#156 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,551 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

If you look at our stats, it's safe to say that our performance was inexcusable/unacceptable. The sheer number of unforced errors tells its own story. Unforced errors aren't caused by the other team.

You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder there.
Posted Image

#157 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

:mellow: So he has.

Ah well, was only trying to get a bite on his comments on Betts. Hi Max.

Hey JB.

I'm happy to say I was wrong on Betts. To be fair I always said he might turn it around given time I just thought there was no reason to suggest he would and that the club was taking a big risk entrusting this opportunity to an inexperienced novice. I also think he handled things badly to start SL last year but he has come good. Tbh he'd taken the heat off himself by the end of last year.

I am a drifter on the forum, my hiatus had nothing to do with Widnes but more the constant negativity and down playing of the sport that has increased for the last couple of years on the Internet. We seem to be talking ourselves into the games demise and it depresses me to the point where I just switch off and do something else.

#158 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

If you look at our stats, it's safe to say that our performance was inexcusable/unacceptable. The sheer number of unforced errors tells its own story. Unforced errors aren't caused by the other team.

You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder there.

Tbh most of the errors came when the game was already drifting away from you. There was a horrendous period of knock ons but this was whilst you were a couple of scores behind.

#159 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,863 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:48 AM

Hey JB.

I'm happy to say I was wrong on Betts. To be fair I always said he might turn it around given time I just thought there was no reason to suggest he would and that the club was taking a big risk entrusting this opportunity to an inexperienced novice. I also think he handled things badly to start SL last year but he has come good. Tbh he'd taken the heat off himself by the end of last year.

I am a drifter on the forum, my hiatus had nothing to do with Widnes but more the constant negativity and down playing of the sport that has increased for the last couple of years on the Internet. We seem to be talking ourselves into the games demise and it depresses me to the point where I just switch off and do something else.

Remind us of your views on the World Cup again????
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#160 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,551 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

Tbh most of the errors came when the game was already drifting away from you. There was a horrendous period of knock ons but this was whilst you were a couple of scores behind.

We literally threw the game away before half time. That pass by Seymour I think was possibly the worst pass I have ever seen a half back make. The slowest long ball ever.

The second half was then just one disaster after another. Seymour literally gave you the lead, then we exploded!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users