Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

03/03/13 - Huddersfield Giants v Bradford Bulls - KO 3pm

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Huddersfield Giants (7 votes [43.75%])

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

2. Voted Bradford Bulls (9 votes [56.25%])

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

It could have been more as Foster was bundled into touch next to the corner flag on 67 minutes and then 2-3 minutes later apparently Sammut dropped the ball after a one-two with the line at his mercy.

Can anyone at the game clarify whether Foster or Kearney converted the final Sammut try after the hooter? Ta.

I'm pretty sure it was Foster who converted. I also thought Foster scored and it was a poor call from TD. Sammut's knock on was like Burrows in WCC!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#82 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

Great win but the score flattered us. Everything came off and we were helped by Huddersfield having little attacking flair.They really missed danny Brough whereas we have had a few weeks of learning to cope without Luke Gale.

Heath LeStrange and Jarrod Sammut were outstanding today but everyone put in a good effort. I thought Jamie Langley was our best prop; probably a sign for the future.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#83 Jangling_Jack

Jangling_Jack
  • Coach
  • 433 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Jerry was great but also dropped the ball a few times

Crabtree
Faiumu
Cudjoe

Were the only ones to come out with any real plaudits

Far too much shuffling went on with the team - And it showed with our defence

TBF he only dropped the second one because Robinson fired it at his feet.

Faiumu? Plaudits. His passing from dummy half was appalling, Yeah he made acouple of half breaks but he was pretty shocking. Patrick ran strongly and I thought Lunt was excellent as always.

We missed Brough but we missed Fielden as well.

If today emphasised anything though it's that Robinson can't cut it at this level anymore. He doesn't make breaks like he used to and he couldn't pass water. After nearly killing Crabtree two weeks ago with a hospital pass he repeated the feat on at least three occasions today. He even managed to pat the ball forward in the lead up to our third try. How Mr Child missed it was beyond me.

#84 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

Was going to go to this game but diy job took longer than planned. Wasn't *that* bothered because I thought it would be a hammering...for the bulls. Definitely didn't see this one coming.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#85 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

TBF he only dropped the second one because Robinson fired it at his feet.

Faiumu? Plaudits. His passing from dummy half was appalling, Yeah he made acouple of half breaks but he was pretty shocking. Patrick ran strongly and I thought Lunt was excellent as always.

We missed Brough but we missed Fielden as well.

If today emphasised anything though it's that Robinson can't cut it at this level anymore. He doesn't make breaks like he used to and he couldn't pass water. After nearly killing Crabtree two weeks ago with a hospital pass he repeated the feat on at least three occasions today. He even managed to pat the ball forward in the lead up to our third try. How Mr Child missed it was beyond me.

Faiumu was ###### today. His one big trick was being read every time.

Cudjoe and Crabtree were up there alongside Jerry. They always are to be fair.

Robinson needs space to do his scuttles from half back. He can do nothing from there if the pack isn't dominant. In those circumstances he should move to dummy half.

Brough was really missed across a number of fronts. No team could lose his kicking without suffering, but his pass selection and running game is also first class. A big miss today for the Giants.

That's me.  I'm done.

#86 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,670 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Faiumu was ###### today. His one big trick was being read every time.

Cudjoe and Crabtree were up there alongside Jerry. They always are to be fair.

Robinson needs space to do his scuttles from half back. He can do nothing from there if the pack isn't dominant. In those circumstances he should move to dummy half.

Brough was really missed across a number of fronts. No team could lose his kicking without suffering, but his pass selection and running game is also first class. A big miss today for the Giants.

What was the crowd Steve?

(Runs for cover!)

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#87 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

What was the crowd Steve?

About 8k I think. Mostly Bradford, no doubt.

The Giants need to win something to grow the club further IMO. All the marketing in the world won't get them off the plateau that they're on. They need to win a pot.

That's me.  I'm done.

#88 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Bulls were the better side all over the field, without rising above the ordinary they they outplayed the Giants from the kickoff, They were halfway to this kind of beating last week at Wakey and they learned absolutely nothing, The forwards( big as they are) talk a great game but on the field they come up second best, only Crabtree and Lunt can take any credit from that, Without Brough to keep turning the oposition round the whole house of cards just crumbled, All credit to Bradford they were up for it and they deserved it, they just put in a decent team performance and it was more than enough.
Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#89 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

Adam O'Briens first try for the Bulls

Posted Image

#90 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

Not a great game of RL from Hudds. The positional changes made to adapt to Brough's absence, no doubt didn't help, and Cudjoe and Grix had a lot to do to change their roles. The usual headers in the crowd seemed to think Grix was responsible for the team's problems. I doubt that he was responsible for other players dropping the ball and giving away penalties. Grix was switching between being a pivot and kicker in attack and a full back in defence. Not hard to see how he might struggle in a team giving the ball away.

Without Brough in the team Hudds struggle to get decent length on kicks and so struggle to get up the field when not playing fluently.

Off to Headingley on Friday night. :mellow:

#91 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

Yeah I think we'd be much better leaving Grix at fullback - last season showed him swapping back and forth was disastrous - and letting Leroy do what he could at stand off

But the main issue was handling, and that was endemic from the whole team and nothing to do with positonal changes

#92 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

Great win but the score flattered us.

Did it heck, it was fair reflection of the domination we had on the game IMO. I can't say Huddersfield deserved any more points than they had, and we deserved all we scored.

If anything it was similar to the game we played over there at the back end of last year - rattle them early and then the Giants never really had the confidence to come back. A good start is what we needed as well, since the opening 20 lost it for us last week, whereas this week, although it didn't win it for us it did set the tone. Although Hudds had an off day, there is something to be said that the Bulls forced them to.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#93 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

The Giants need to win something to grow the club further IMO. All the marketing in the world won't get them off the plateau that they're on. They need to win a pot.

How about moving BBC sport to Huddersfield Steve. You'll kick on big style then :)

(just a joke mate)

#94 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

They'll never attract junior support at £18 entrance fee.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#95 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Complete turn up for the books was that one and I never expected it for a moment, but deserved, none the less. The Bulls forwards were outstanding and made space for ourt makeshift halves to exploit, with some quick PTBs which caused plenty of bother for the Giants' defence.

Make no mistake, this Giants' side is a quality one, so to better them on the day was a super performance.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#96 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

I think our defensive structured were utterly shot by the shuffle round in positions, Bradford were finding gaps that simply haven't been there previously

But the main reason Bradford won is simply they wanted to win, the giants looked like they thought it was a training session

Hopefully it's the kick up the backside the squad needs to keep focused

#97 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Just seen the game stats on SL Fulltime. Apparently 16 errors each which was a surprise as felt like Hudds struggled with handling and didn't think we had made that many. Completion was 73% Bulls vs 66% Hudds. Thought ours might have been higher.

Agree with comment on entrance fee. I'm sure £24 was the most I've ever paid to get into a SL game!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#98 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Its £25 to sit at Odsal.

And if you'd pre-ordered you could have got a cheaper ticket (and put money into your own club)

#99 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

I think our defensive structured were utterly shot by the shuffle round in positions, Bradford were finding gaps that simply haven't been there previously

But the main reason Bradford won is simply they wanted to win, the giants looked like they thought it was a training session

Hopefully it's the kick up the backside the squad needs to keep focused

Just a thought but, Hudds came out with some kind of celebration in mind when they formed a tunnell for Robinson and I'm sure one player even had his kids with him. I though at the time it seemed to be a cart and horse incident, as in better first taking care of business and then having the party after the match?
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#100 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:12 PM

Just a thought but, Hudds came out with some kind of celebration in mind when they formed a tunnell for Robinson and I'm sure one player even had his kids with him. I though at the time it seemed to be a cart and horse incident, as in better first taking care of business and then having the party after the match?

There was a marking of Crabtree's 250th Superleague game for the Giants.
Perhaps the kids were mascots.............. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users