Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

CHRIS BRIDGE

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

The fans of these"4" bigger clubs are opposed to DR because;
1 they are fans of clubs that haven't got DR and support their clubs decision
2 they have had it their own way for a long time

One of the clubs most against DR is Barrow. A club who in recent years have cheated their way to success more than any
At least what we are doing is in the rules regardless of the moral standing on the actual principle of DR.

The reasons DR is good for Swinton
1 im a swinton fan and tend to support my clubs decision
2 we have faced more adversity than any club in rugby league yet still we remain. Its time we had a bit of help our way

This argument will rage all season
Ambiguous rumours like the one Terry quotes are not worth my attention.

And finally if DR is abandoned at the end of the year guess what wil happen?
The annual scramble for players will begin
Fev will sign all the best in Yorkshire with Halifax breaking the bank
Leigh will sign all the best in Lancashire and Sheffield will somehow sign a load of good players from the southern hemisphere again despite crowds on a par with ours

The rest of us will scratch around what's left. Hope to pick up a hidden gem from the amateur game or hope to pick off a super league academy star.

Now that system is fair...is it?

Edited by mark richardson, 28 February 2013 - 07:32 AM.

#22 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

Well said Mark.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#23 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Pretty much sums it up Mark, well said.

#24 fozzy3

fozzy3
  • Coach
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

This is a bit like the competition that the sun runs I think its called dream team where you pretend to manage a team and you can chop and change your players until your happy with your squad and at the end of the season you lose your team and then start all over again lol this is becoming comical it really is becoming like fantasy rugby and in the end clubs will evetually fold and rugby league will be even worse than it is now.

#25 TIM THE LION

TIM THE LION
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

Its been going on for years just under a different guise.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.

Edmund Burke

#26 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

This is a bit like the competition that the sun runs I think its called dream team where you pretend to manage a team and you can chop and change your players until your happy with your squad and at the end of the season you lose your team and then start all over again lol this is becoming comical it really is becoming like fantasy rugby and in the end clubs will evetually fold and rugby league will be even worse than it is now.

clubs will fold blah blah blah

#27 Blakemore

Blakemore
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

If anything surely our club is in a better financial situation than normal with this link?

#28 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

If anything surely our club is in a better financial situation than normal with this link?

A major part of the Kidd's motivation for running the "partnership" in this manner is clearly to reduce overheads while trying to find a cheap way of having a team capable of avoiding relegation from the Championship.

However it will not grow income. If anything, it is more likely to give a reduction in income.

I am truly amazed by the extent to which apparently diehard Swinton Lions supporters appear willing to see the team filled with players whose first loyalty is to another club. It does precisely nothing to take Swinton Lions forward as a club in its own right. This way of doing things has cost the club the best coach its had in years.

What's the next move - relocate to the Halliwell Jones? Why not - there's no evidence Agecroft is going to be taken forward meaningfully any time soon. If John is more interested in having an association with Warrington than he is tackling the challenges to rebuild Swinton Lions he ought to do the honorable thing and become a director of the Wolves.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#29 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

A major part of the Kidd's motivation for running the "partnership" in this manner is clearly to reduce overheads while trying to find a cheap way of having a team capable of avoiding relegation from the Championship.

However it will not grow income. If anything, it is more likely to give a reduction in income.

I am truly amazed by the extent to which apparently diehard Swinton Lions supporters appear willing to see the team filled with players whose first loyalty is to another club. It does precisely nothing to take Swinton Lions forward as a club in its own right. This way of doing things has cost the club the best coach its had in years.

What's the next move - relocate to the Halliwell Jones? Why not - there's no evidence Agecroft is going to be taken forward meaningfully any time soon. If John is more interested in having an association with Warrington than he is tackling the challenges to rebuild Swinton Lions he ought to do the honorable thing and become a director of the Wolves.

And you should put your money where your mouth is. Offer to buy the club then you can show us all what a major sucess you will make of it.

#30 Blakemore

Blakemore
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Philh, I really to sigh at your loyalty to the club, i wish everyone else loved the club as much as you. Seriously stick to watch leigh

#31 Blakemore

Blakemore
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

And personally i want to see the best players possible play in the swinton shirt this season whether thats players from warrington, leeds, st helens, manly or even mars. As long as we play well that all im bothered about

#32 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I spoke to someone earlier today who hasn't watched the club since we left Station Road.He attended three games at Gigg Lane but gave up because he said the magical feeling he had inside whenever he watched the team had gone.Thats exactly how I felt when I attended the Workington game and saw the team filled with What I deemed to be players ultimately from another club.Not sure whether its deemed as disloyalty but sadly it's how I feel,similar to Phil perhaps.

#33 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

I spoke to someone earlier today who hasn't watched the club since we left Station Road.He attended three games at Gigg Lane but gave up because he said the magical feeling he had inside whenever he watched the team had gone.Thats exactly how I felt when I attended the Workington game and saw the team filled with What I deemed to be players ultimately from another club.Not sure whether its deemed as disloyalty but sadly it's how I feel,similar to Phil perhaps.

Differance is Dave you are not using this as a personal attack on a family who lets face it if they hadn't stood up and been counted a few years ago this would all be irrelevant as the club would have gone.

Phil may have his thoughts and he is entitled to them but he lacks respect, he has made his feeling known as you have by staying away from games and that should be enough but time and again along with his sidekick Caine( who no doubt will add his bit shortly)he personally attacks the Kidd family, yet doesn't like it when others have a go back at him.
These forums are about Rugby League and not personal issues and that is what should be debated here.

#34 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Nothing happening on the leigh forum?
You've got our stance all wrong. ..what is a shame is your inability or more likely unwillingness to read it understand it and digest it.

#35 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Id thought we had finally got rid of the lobby gobbler. guess not.
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

#36 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 374 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I personally envy the likes of Halifax, Featherstone and leigh in being able to assemble squads - we like the majority of the clubs outside SL have decided to sign up for the DR scheme because it means reduced costs and the potential for getting access to SL facilities and players. If the DR system is maintained then the future will be bleak as all clubs outside SL will become feeder clubs and nothing more.

We all have a view on this at that's mine.

Now to the practicalities of having Warrington rotate players for Swinton games, I think there are several issues

1) it will no doubt affect the moral of any Swinton registered player dropped for the likes of Chris Bridge's run out.
2) unless all players train together it is difficult for any player to simply drop into the Swinton team
3) I think continuity in the squad is essential and it will be difficult to maintain

Clearly Warringtom want their players to get match fit after injury etc and the only avenue open to them is a spell in the Swinton team ( correct me if I am wrong on this).

All in all its very difficult for the coaching staff at Swinton to manage.

#37 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

Its true what you say Wayne. It is a conundrum. Id hate to see ainscough or shaw dropped in favour of bridge

What I struggle with in the argument is how this all leads to the inevitable call for club's failing. Rugby league is always changing often not for the best but every argument every change does not mean disaster and failure
Neither does it mean it will work
And neither does it mean that the persons involved need constant berating

As for management of players the team spirit looked amazing at Keighley. Surely the players would've cleared off by now...not the coach?

#38 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

It's like Groundhog Day all over again 😳
he's not the messiah..he's a very naughty boy

#39 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

As you say Mark the team spirit was fantastic last week and then on Sunday morning it's rumoured on a social networking site that Bridge will be playing this week.I just cannot grasp the concept that a player from another club can just walk into the team irrespective at how well the team has performed.it just doesn't sit right with me but fully appreciate other people's views.

#40 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 314 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Having never played rugby league for money or fun for that matter I am not the best to understand the morale of players. However, I would assume adding one established superleague player to the team each week means that there are still 16 places to play for. If it was me I would be working harder to make sure it was not me. Fact is if the player coming in is better than the one dropped then there can be little.complaint. If however the player coming in weakens the team then I would assume that would damage morale and team spirit.
Question is are they better.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users