Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

reading the same comments over and over again...yawn
he's not the messiah..he's a very naughty boy

#44 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Having never played rugby league for money or fun for that matter I am not the best to understand the morale of players. However, I would assume adding one established superleague player to the team each week means that there are still 16 places to play for. If it was me I would be working harder to make sure it was not me. Fact is if the player coming in is better than the one dropped then there can be little.complaint. If however the player coming in weakens the team then I would assume that would damage morale and team spirit.
Question is are they better.

Try being the player dropped regardless of how well you played the week before for someone who doesnt care about swinton, its not a nice feeling

#45 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

And you should put your money where your mouth is. Offer to buy the club then you can show us all what a major sucess you will make of it.

What assets are there to buy?
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#46 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

Duffymoon Chris Bridge is an international scrum half so I would assume thats where he will play on sunday with Watson concentrating on his coaching We also have a mounting injury list so its a good job we can rely on the d/rs.

#47 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

Just two injured that I know of

#48 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

I agree with duffymoon. One of the reasons i got the bug apart my old man being a fanatic was the sense of identity i felt to the club. Swinton rugby gave pride to the town and community. This is now being severely eroded away from what remains of our nomadic existence. As I've said before I'll continue to support Swinton but feel no allegiance to the pseudolions players. I think it's long overdue to have a status update on the Agecroft project, please John and Paul we need a little insight
"A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man." Turkish Proverb

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Differance is Dave you are not using this as a personal attack on a family who lets face it if they hadn't stood up and been counted a few years ago this would all be irrelevant as the club would have gone.

Phil may have his thoughts and he is entitled to them but he lacks respect, he has made his feeling known as you have by staying away from games and that should be enough but time and again along with his sidekick Caine( who no doubt will add his bit shortly)he personally attacks the Kidd family, yet doesn't like it when others have a go back at him.
These forums are about Rugby League and not personal issues and that is what should be debated here.

Governance of Swinton Lions is a public role and firmly a rugby league issue. For "personal attacks" I can refer you to several of your own postings over on rlfans.com.

Do you believe whomever owns Swinton Lions should be allowed to act with total impunity and be granted blind support as they do so? The kind of support that allowed Des Johnson to wreck Barrow single handed, gave Bobby Hopeless a mandate to put Blackpool out of existance, meant Malcolm White could sell Station Road without anyone knowing, saw Central Park become a Tesco thanks to Jack Robinson, etc etc etc..... Is there not a better way?

#50 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

P.S. I suspect Chris Bridge will be amused to find supporters of Swinton expecting him to play scrum half, and if he does play am 99% sure it will be at centre.

#51 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

The fans of these"4" bigger clubs are opposed to DR because;
1 they are fans of clubs that haven't got DR and support their clubs decision
2 they have had it their own way for a long time

One of the clubs most against DR is Barrow. A club who in recent years have cheated their way to success more than any
At least what we are doing is in the rules regardless of the moral standing on the actual principle of DR.

The reasons DR is good for Swinton
1 im a swinton fan and tend to support my clubs decision
2 we have faced more adversity than any club in rugby league yet still we remain. Its time we had a bit of help our way

This argument will rage all season
Ambiguous rumours like the one Terry quotes are not worth my attention.

And finally if DR is abandoned at the end of the year guess what wil happen?
The annual scramble for players will begin
Fev will sign all the best in Yorkshire with Halifax breaking the bank
Leigh will sign all the best in Lancashire and Sheffield will somehow sign a load of good players from the southern hemisphere again despite crowds on a par with ours

The rest of us will scratch around what's left. Hope to pick up a hidden gem from the amateur game or hope to pick off a super league academy star.

Now that system is fair...is it?

Nothing happening on the leigh forum?
You've got our stance all wrong. ..what is a shame is your inability or more likely unwillingness to read it understand it and digest it.

I have read plenty and tried very hard to digest and understand, but honestly find the last bit really difficult as from my perspective the logic being applied is terribly flawed.

If we take the easiest example of Leigh - certainly isn't a club that has had things "all its own way for a long time". From the point of view of local politics Leigh has very similar issues with Wigan as Swinton has with Salford. Leigh RL also suffered mismanagement aplenty in the late 80's and 90's under the likes of Keith Bell that led to Grundy Hill estates buying Hilton Park. Its last serious financial crisis was only 18 months back.

Only 3 years ago Leigh finished 2nd bottom of the Championship and would've gone down if it hadn't have been for Des Johnson's goings on up in Furness. During the era when Swinton Lions were happily spending Hughie Eaves' "earned" money at Gigg Lane, in the most part Leigh was paying its players far less.

So - why are Leigh in a stronger position than the Lions today? Well mainly because at the moment they are better run! While Swinton Lions have talked about a new ground, at Leigh its been delivered. And delivered in a special way, with a facility of real quality that has made the club a central part of education and health provision in the town for generations to come. A Super League compatible facility, done in an affordable and sustainable way. Thoroughout its sometimes troubled history, Leigh RL has never lost its sense of identity. While there was a dip after Arthur Thomas withdrew his financial backing, the Centurians have done lots of work throughout the community it represents and also fostered one of the strongest amateur RL scenes in the entire country.

People at Leigh have put in the work, walked the walk, they are getting the rewards. This ought to be the path to true success - organic success - the sort of work that the game ought to encourage. Grow your club, get better facilities, get a proper marketing strategy, work with others in the community, make the club relevant to people, get more supporters in.... then you ultimately have the means to attract and retain your own players of better quality.

Swinton Lions' partnership with Warrington is addressing none of these things. Its a totally artificial arrangement wherein what little heritage and identity of Swinton Lions thats left is being traded in for a quick fix. It doesn't in truth make Swinton Lions any stronger. It won't "help" Swinton Lions in the long run if the future is merely a question of how far Swinton Lions goes in becoming ever more dependent on Warrington rather than weening itself off and looking to stand on its own two feet. The partnership is not even effective for playing strength in the short-term, for a whole number of reasons - morale of the contracted players, the need to play as a team, the challenge to the authority of the coach which I am convinced has played a big part in Steve McCormack's decision to leave, plus other factors.

#52 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Sorry if I got it wrong Philh I was given to believe he was an half back. On the injury front we have Sam Wreay waiting for a shoulder op, Glenn riley broken hand, Chris C larke broken finger, Jordon burke who was really starting to shine , ankle ligament damage, L'anson broken hand ,who hopefully should be back this week .Dan Birkett hip injury.

#53 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

I'm with you there Phil, I reckon he'll play centre (if he plays).

IMO the same 17 that beat Keighley should play against Dewsbury (if fit). We still don't know 100% what goes on behind the scenes regarding the D/R players, although the majority seem to have jumped to their own conclusions.

The rotation of the forwards was spot on, thanks to Marlon and Holland and Mills had brilliant games for us. I don't understand the comments about players not playing "for Swinton" and the lack of identity. We've not played in Swinton for 20 years and the turn around of players over the intervening years has been massive. We don't have our own youth set up and we rarely bring talent from the local amateur sides through. The only proper Swinton lads to play for us recently have come through Warrington's and Salford's youth set up. The 17 lads on the pitch last Saturday played their hearts out for Swinton, no one else. They came over to thank the fans that made the trip and were over the moon with the 3 points.

Unlike the rest of the Championship, Swinton don't play at their own ground. Until that is sorted, all we need is a winning team to keep us in this division.

#54 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Philh can you explain how Leigh have delivered on a ground. Leigh sports village was built and is owned by Wigan council. Without wigan councils help Leigh wouldn't have a ground. We are not so lucky being under the auspices of Salford. Yes Leigh has always been a rugby league hot bed but unlike Swinton they don't have two of the biggest football teams on the planet on there doorstep. Go around the area and see how many rugby pitches you can find as opposed to football This as always been the case, even going back to when I was playing in the early sixties and Swinton were the top team, there was only to junior teams in the area Folly lane and Moorside juniors.

#55 Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

Try being the player dropped regardless of how well you played the week before for someone who doesnt care about swinton, its not a nice feeling

I could try to be a player, but however hard I tried I would not be good enough to play for Swinton. I do understand what you are referring to though.

However, I am not sure that a team should be made up of those who care most. It is a nice sentiment but unlikely to make the best team and is similar to wanting a team full of players born in Swinton. I think the point being made is that a coach is required to try and get the best team out there of the pitch and to try and win games.

I don't mind stealing bread from the mouths of decadence.

"Be mindful of the prayers you send,
Pray hard but pray with care,
For the tears that you are crying now,
Are just your answered prayers"

#56 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I have read plenty and tried very hard to digest and understand, but honestly find the last bit really difficult as from my perspective the logic being applied is terribly flawed.

If we take the easiest example of Leigh - certainly isn't a club that has had things "all its own way for a long time". From the point of view of local politics Leigh has very similar issues with Wigan as Swinton has with Salford. Leigh RL also suffered mismanagement aplenty in the late 80's and 90's under the likes of Keith Bell that led to Grundy Hill estates buying Hilton Park. Its last serious financial crisis was only 18 months back.

Only 3 years ago Leigh finished 2nd bottom of the Championship and would've gone down if it hadn't have been for Des Johnson's goings on up in Furness. During the era when Swinton Lions were happily spending Hughie Eaves' "earned" money at Gigg Lane, in the most part Leigh was paying its players far less.

So - why are Leigh in a stronger position than the Lions today? Well mainly because at the moment they are better run! While Swinton Lions have talked about a new ground, at Leigh its been delivered. And delivered in a special way, with a facility of real quality that has made the club a central part of education and health provision in the town for generations to come. A Super League compatible facility, done in an affordable and sustainable way. Thoroughout its sometimes troubled history, Leigh RL has never lost its sense of identity. While there was a dip after Arthur Thomas withdrew his financial backing, the Centurians have done lots of work throughout the community it represents and also fostered one of the strongest amateur RL scenes in the entire country.

People at Leigh have put in the work, walked the walk, they are getting the rewards. This ought to be the path to true success - organic success - the sort of work that the game ought to encourage. Grow your club, get better facilities, get a proper marketing strategy, work with others in the community, make the club relevant to people, get more supporters in.... then you ultimately have the means to attract and retain your own players of better quality.

Swinton Lions' partnership with Warrington is addressing none of these things. Its a totally artificial arrangement wherein what little heritage and identity of Swinton Lions thats left is being traded in for a quick fix. It doesn't in truth make Swinton Lions any stronger. It won't "help" Swinton Lions in the long run if the future is merely a question of how far Swinton Lions goes in becoming ever more dependent on Warrington rather than weening itself off and looking to stand on its own two feet. The partnership is not even effective for playing strength in the short-term, for a whole number of reasons - morale of the contracted players, the need to play as a team, the challenge to the authority of the coach which I am convinced has played a big part in Steve McCormack's decision to leave, plus other factors.

So why are leigh in a better position than us?
They nearly went bust last year!
Youve now decided Barrow are a club worth criticsing. Two weeks ago you were telling us how well theyd done in recent years. ..skilfully overlooking their cheating

This argument is pointless.

All our points are based on opinion .
Despite your fancy words you know as much or as little as the next man as regards which club really is well run.

So call it flawed logic...call it naivity. ..its neither its my point of view...TODAY.

Its subject to change based on evidence which will only be obtained by testing this first season of dual registration.

The personal crusade against every single decision by the Kidds is not subject to change by you. Im prepared to trust in their word. As I am Steve Mccormacks
Something else that I believe maybe naive in your view

I feel I am better placed than most to be forgiven a lack of faith in the decency in a mans word, but it remains strong.
Why is yours so tarnished with cynicism?

#57 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

I understand the North stand will be open due to the anticipated rush for tickets brought about by the England CENTRE Bridge plying his trade for the Lions.

Who is Phill H btw ? His rose tinted view of my club is somewhat different to the reality I see week in week out. For info LSV is a debt free stadium, built by land trades eg East and Harriers old sites, in return for sports and education facilities. Leigh needs a leader with a few bob to reach its potential, LSV is made for SL as last years Leeds game showed.

#58 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:19 AM

I could try to be a player, but however hard I tried I would not be good enough to play for Swinton. I do understand what you are referring to though.

However, I am not sure that a team should be made up of those who care most. It is a nice sentiment but unlikely to make the best team and is similar to wanting a team full of players born in Swinton. I think the point being made is that a coach is required to try and get the best team out there of the pitch and to try and win games.

Your missing my point, by all accounts 1-17 players all played well last saturday so who as to lose out and what will that say to the rest of the team just so a wire player can get some match fittness ?

#59 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

The only definite in how the club has handled the DR situation is that it has split our fan base right down the middle which is a shame as there aren't that many of us left.I agree with the comments posted by Shizonay,some action needed on Agecroft ASAP.

#60 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:16 AM

Philh can you explain how Leigh have delivered on a ground. Leigh sports village was built and is owned by Wigan council. Without wigan councils help Leigh wouldn't have a ground. We are not so lucky being under the auspices of Salford. Yes Leigh has always been a rugby league hot bed but unlike Swinton they don't have two of the biggest football teams on the planet on there doorstep. Go around the area and see how many rugby pitches you can find as opposed to football This as always been the case, even going back to when I was playing in the early sixties and Swinton were the top team, there was only to junior teams in the area Folly lane and Moorside juniors.

The driving force for delivery of LSV was a group of key people from across the Leigh community, representing education providers, amateur and professional sport and the local health service under the umbrella of the Leigh Sports Partnership and chaired by current Chief Executive of Leigh Centurians, Trevor Barton.

Wigan Borough Council wasn't in the driving seat - it merely worked with the Leigh Sports Partnership to help deliver their vision. It shouldn't be overlooked that LSV has a lot more to it than the main stadium.

Funding for LSV came not from council tax revenues but a combination of; aggregation (sale of the former homes of Leigh East ARLFC and Leigh Harriers athletics club), cross-subsidising (Morrisons and the Hotel on the LSV site alongside the sports facilities) and grants. So of course it is council owned and that is entirely fitting - the assets that were sold to raise the money and the land on which the development is sited were all council owned and the objectives of LSV go well beyond a rugby league venue into education and leisure facility provision. The ethos of the development is to provide a suite of integrated facilities for the entire community to use, and hasn't it been done well!

Without wigan councils help Leigh wouldn't have a ground.

While it is true that LSV would not have been possible without Wigan Borough Council being prepared to oblidge the wishes of the Leigh Sports Partnership, you are firstly overlooking the probablility that Hilton Park would otherwise still be in existance. What is more pertinent to LSV is that Wigan Borough Council would not have acted if it weren't for the effectiveness of the Leigh Sports Partnership and it would be more a accurate reflection to say - without Trevor Barton LSV wouldn't have happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users