Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

CHRIS BRIDGE

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

All of which has what exactly to do with whether swinton should play Chris Bridge or any DR players?
Thats all about LSV an entirely separate venture. ..not a lot to do with leigh rlfc who nearly went bust last year...a fact that hasnt changed despite that lengthy essay telling us how much you know.
Yes you are entitled to your opinion. ..but every opinion is NOT about how rubbish our club is especially this rugby league wide one...leigh benefitted quite nicely by it more than most in the last few seasons and everyone's favourite Ryan Brierley is there because of it
I dont see the difference
Apart from you like big Trev and aren't so keen on JK

Edited by mark richardson, 01 March 2013 - 07:51 AM.

#62 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

So why are leigh in a better position than us?
They nearly went bust last year!
Youve now decided Barrow are a club worth criticsing. Two weeks ago you were telling us how well theyd done in recent years. ..skilfully overlooking their cheating

This argument is pointless.

All our points are based on opinion .
Despite your fancy words you know as much or as little as the next man as regards which club really is well run.

So call it flawed logic...call it naivity. ..its neither its my point of view...TODAY.

Its subject to change based on evidence which will only be obtained by testing this first season of dual registration.

The personal crusade against every single decision by the Kidds is not subject to change by you. Im prepared to trust in their word. As I am Steve Mccormacks
Something else that I believe maybe naive in your view

I feel I am better placed than most to be forgiven a lack of faith in the decency in a mans word, but it remains strong.
Why is yours so tarnished with cynicism?

The answer to your first question is contained in my preceding post - Leigh Centurians currently is a better run club than Swinton Lions. I suspect what you meant to ask was "How is Leigh Centurians in a better position than Swinton Lions?". Those answers are very obvious - Leigh Centurians have a Super League standard facility located within the home community, with integral links to a whole range of partner organisations. Leigh Centurians has roughly a 4 times larger support base. I could go on, but its all very obvious stuff. So obvious that you seemed to think Leigh has "had things their own way for a long time".

I did not even mention "Barrow"! What I am prepared to do is criticise Des Johnson and his track record of mismanagement while he was chairman there. That is, the culpability for the cheating that undoubtedly went on rests firmly at the door of Des Johnson as an individual, plus anyone that directly assisted him or was willfully complicit in his behaviours. That is totally different to criticising the Barrow club as a whole.

Ask Barrow supporters today what they think of Des Johnson and I doubt any will have a good word to say about him.

To use your words again - did Des Johnson merely inflict "adversity" on Barrow RLFC, or would it be truer to say he was guilty of blatant mismanagement of Barrow RLFC?

Think again of that question in terms of Swinton Lions - have the rogues that have been involved at Swinton Lions over the years merely inflicted "adversity" on Swinton Lions, or would it be truer to say that they were guilty of blatant mismanagment?

In my view the answer its down to mismanagement and this shows why it is important that supporters don't always simply "support their club's decision". Sometimes it is right to question, as those in charge don't always get it right or act in the club's best long term interests. Its happened virtually everywhere at some point and the consequences have often been drastic.

By the way its not the first season of dual registration, that concept has been around a while and Swinton Lions used it last season too - remember?

Its very arrogant of you to presume you know and understand why other people have a different take on DR than yourself. Many people throughout the game have expressed serious reservations about the way DR is being done this season, whom have no affiliation whatsoever to the 4 clubs concerned (take Phil Clarke last week). Many people who follow clubs that have implemented dual registration are also firmly against the idea.

On two of the biggest decisions John Kidd has taken in recent years I've happily held a belief he's got it right: Hiring of Steve McCormack as coach; Chosing to play at the LSV. If I remember correctly on the latter issue I was the only contributor on here that speculated LSV would be a good choice, prior to the big public meeting when it was actually announced. I was just about the only contributor on here who also supported the re-signing of David Mills for this season, too.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#63 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:28 AM

I don't recall Leigh being out of their community for 20 years.if it wasn't for the Kidds we would not have a team to follow. Maybe that's what some on here want. Of course we would all love a set up like LSV but we need a competitive team on the field which will hopefully bring more support through the turnstiles and bring the kind of interest and commitment from people within our own community to make it happen. I dream of the day we return to M 27 but if the Kidds walk away and let's be honest who would blame them, we are finished. DR is not ideal and I also understand the feelings of all supporters but lets support our team and our club and force people to sit up and take notice.

Edited by Christophe, 01 March 2013 - 04:54 PM.

he's not the messiah..he's a very naughty boy

#64 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

Ok enough of talking about other teams !

Big game for the lads this weekend and i expect Watto and Marlon will have the same 17 at their disposal plus Chris Bridge and Chaz I'Anson (if fit). Whoever they decide to play lets get behind them and look for victory number two as we have a very tough month in front of us.

#65 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:55 AM

Damn phone

Edited by Christophe, 01 March 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#66 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

The answer to your first question is contained in my preceding post - Leigh Centurians currently is a better run club than Swinton Lions. I suspect what you meant to ask was "How is Leigh Centurians in a better position than Swinton Lions?". Those answers are very obvious - Leigh Centurians have a Super League standard facility located within the home community, with integral links to a whole range of partner organisations. Leigh Centurians has roughly a 4 times larger support base. I could go on, but its all very obvious stuff. So obvious that you seemed to think Leigh has "had things their own way for a long time".

I did not even mention "Barrow"! What I am prepared to do is criticise Des Johnson and his track record of mismanagement while he was chairman there. That is, the culpability for the cheating that undoubtedly went on rests firmly at the door of Des Johnson as an individual, plus anyone that directly assisted him or was willfully complicit in his behaviours. That is totally different to criticising the Barrow club as a whole.

Ask Barrow supporters today what they think of Des Johnson and I doubt any will have a good word to say about him.

To use your words again - did Des Johnson merely inflict "adversity" on Barrow RLFC, or would it be truer to say he was guilty of blatant mismanagement of Barrow RLFC?

Think again of that question in terms of Swinton Lions - have the rogues that have been involved at Swinton Lions over the years merely inflicted "adversity" on Swinton Lions, or would it be truer to say that they were guilty of blatant mismanagment?

In my view the answer its down to mismanagement and this shows why it is important that supporters don't always simply "support their club's decision". Sometimes it is right to question, as those in charge don't always get it right or act in the club's best long term interests. Its happened virtually everywhere at some point and the consequences have often been drastic.

By the way its not the first season of dual registration, that concept has been around a while and Swinton Lions used it last season too - remember?

Its very arrogant of you to presume you know and understand why other people have a different take on DR than yourself. Many people throughout the game have expressed serious reservations about the way DR is being done this season, whom have no affiliation whatsoever to the 4 clubs concerned (take Phil Clarke last week). Many people who follow clubs that have implemented dual registration are also firmly against the idea.

On two of the biggest decisions John Kidd has taken in recent years I've happily held a belief he's got it right: Hiring of Steve McCormack as coach; Chosing to play at the LSV. If I remember correctly on the latter issue I was the only contributor on here that speculated LSV would be a good choice, prior to the big public meeting when it was actually announced. I was just about the only contributor on here who also supported the re-signing of David Mills for this season, too.

See I knew you couldn't read!
Ive stated all along that I have my reservations about DR.
Ive stated all along that this is a league wide issue
You pick the tiniest part of an argument an expose it yet fail yet again to appreciate my stance and that of many other fans.
I dont know it will work. I don't know the answer. I dont really understand the question

What I will not do is stand by and see a decent man continually berated for decisions he makes on a thread about team selection.

If I am arrogant. .naive..or confused ....physician heal thyself!

Riggy...a timely intervention this week!

If watty can engineer us a win...hes the man for the job.

#67 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

What assets are there to buy?

The very same assets that John Kidd purchased.

Your knowledge of all things Leigh is extensive so in view of that fact and the fact you seem to hate all things Swinton, wouldn't your time be better spent passing your knowledge on to Leigh fans.
As for your ridiculous comments regarding me on other forums you will find they were aimed at Salford and many at two people who I actually know.
What is worrying is that a little man like you spends time looking for them.

#68 MALCOLM WHO ?

MALCOLM WHO ?
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

Even if we dont manage a win at weekend i would still give Watto the job. He knows Swinton inside out, hes been a Swinton fan all his life, he has good contacts in the game and Played under good coaches .He is the one who persuaded Morty to sign for us and im sure he got a few other players on board aswell .

We always sign the wrong brother.

#69 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Even if we dont manage a win at weekend i would still give Watto the job. He knows Swinton inside out, hes been a Swinton fan all his life, he has good contacts in the game and Played under good coaches .He is the one who persuaded Morty to sign for us and im sure he got a few other players on board aswell .

Id like to be convinced by another good performance. ..but yes I guess that a good performance or a draw not just a win would do
I think watty is a top lad. A move to coaching is probably what he needs at this stage of his playing career

#70 Blakemore

Blakemore
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Ormsby is the only player to drop out, hence bridge at centre

#71 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Ormsby is the only player to drop out, hence bridge at centre

So a load od fuss for nowt!

#72 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Exactly ! Well said Mark

#73 Blakemore

Blakemore
  • Coach
  • 236 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

Indeed mark, some real crackers when you read back through all the comments previously

#74 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:13 PM

Exactly ! Well said Mark

I could've said it better by spelling everything correctly!

#75 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Looking forward to Sunday now !

#76 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

Always was always will do

#77 THE PIMPERNEL

THE PIMPERNEL
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

I haven't been on here for a long time and some of you may know of me, I will always support Swinton even though I cannot attend as many matches as I would like too and no longer thankfully live in the City of Salford! So for what it's worth this is my take on the current situations!
1. DR is not ideal but whilst even one other club is doing it then Swinton would be foolish not to.
2. This season we need to emulate last season at least by not finishing in the bottom two, Anything else would be a disaster because the Championship One attendances will be in the very low hundreds this year and the cost of travelling to far flung parts will be a lot greater than they are now Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if the RFL don't combine the two divisions for next season and that might not be a bad thing.
3. The Kidds are from Swinton and are doing a good job for Swinton under difficult circumstances. Having said that I don't always agree with a lot of what they have done in the past(Move to Darwen etc) but without them and other current directors there may well not be a Swinton club for any of us to support in the future.
4. And finally on the subject of Agecroft or a new stadium elsewhere in the borough. In this present economic climate money as we know is tight and not easy to come by for any of us but we are just four seasons away from 150 years of Swinton Rugby Club and moves should be made with the help of people such as Trevor Barton and others to ensure that we have by October 2016 our own home ground again in our own town. Because unless this can be achieved then sadly I can't see a future for Swinton in the years ahead.

#78 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

reading the same comments over and over again...yawn

. Don't read them then! Or why not offer something constructive to the debate?

#79 Christophe

Christophe
  • Coach
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Errr I ve posted a number of times on this subject as have you and practically everyone else including this morning

Edited by Christophe, 01 March 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#80 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

Stop yawning then!