I've done a deal with the NFU!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

"sell their milk at a price to Tesco at a price lower than their cost of production"
are they mad? why do they do it then? Maybe they should try Waitrose or the Co-op.

"at least 4 local butchers who are far cheaper than the local supermarkets"
Consecutive posts from mumsnet. see http://www.mumsnet.c...et/AllOnOnePage
One local butchers is - but it's all cheap (and imported!) meat - nothing more than a glorified meat supermarker really (and I think it's closing soon as I saw the building up for sale recently.......) The other one is much more expensive, even getting just what I need it's out of my price braccket,

storminabuttercupThu 10-Mar-11 10:16:03
Mine is hit and miss. Have you tried the butchers counters in the supermarket? Tesco often have some good deals on in that bit and it seems better quality.

nagynolonger Thu 10-Mar-11 10:19:06
I would say it costs more from a local butcher. But mine does do good freezer pack at a reasonable price. Also you can buy exactly what you want as others have said. Things like sausage and bacon are much better than supermarket ones.

Overall, if farmers can't make a living, they should do something else instead. As I said in post #1 " I am as fully committed to buying British beef as they are to buying British tractors, trucks, combines, 4x4s and cars".

The milk price is well known and some HAVE to sell below cost price. Otherwise do they pour it down the drain? Dairy farms are closing at a good rate, you have to be a certain size to get the economies of scale to survive and we are importing milk, so many are taking the option you so eloquently describe. Farmers have their contract and prices changed at 3 days notice by the supermarkets without negotiation.

JohnM - when you begin to stop pontificating about what farmers should and shouldn't buy (after all its a free market ain't it?) can you let me know about all the UK stuff you obviously so religiously buy. There is nothing wrong with British machinery but what is wrong with British beef.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users