TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Top 3 bottom 3 players like barrows forum

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

just thought i would start a new thread as its quiet on here.

i just thought it would be interesting if people named their top 3 players who they most enjoyed watching for Town

Also the bottom 3, as in the most dissappointing players to pull on a Town shirt when you thought they would have been amazing.

I was thinking of keeping this to players from the year 2000 onwards.

#2 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

My top three
Liam Campbell
Shaun Lunt
Jamie Thackray

Bottom 3
Scott burgess
Jay Duffy
Steven roper

#3 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Top 3 for me
Barry Williams was a joy to watch him taking balls in
Shaun Lunt
Well leeds and Huddersfield are getting what we had especially from dummy half near the opposing try line
Brad Hepi what a great player, hard as nails

Worst 3
Khamel Ghanley had all the tools but unfortunatly it was in a barrow shirt when he left town

Richard Henare
Seemed a bit of a crackpot and he was such a good player at Warrington

Steven roper was terrible after such a fuss was made when he signed he was disinterested and isn't too bad a player again not in a town shirt, maybe he didn't have the team to play off but to me was a dissapointment

#4 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Top 3
Cec Thompson
Brian Edgar
Ike Southward

Bottom 3
Ben Lia
Mick Matache
Stuart Chick

Edited by Keith T, 27 February 2013 - 07:51 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#5 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

best 3 (of the years ive been watching town, 93 onwards)
1. jimmy pickering- no one comes close as far as forwards go.
2. mark mulligan- outstanding talent, so casual with his 1 arm catches,awesome in defence,awesome in attack and the scorer of some of the best tries in our history.complete player.
3. shaun lunt- outstanding talent, god only knows how good he would have been for us in one of the better town teams

worst 3
jay duffy- worst half back ive ever seen at town. slightly better as a full back but still awful.
bryce poisel- was supposably using town as a stepping stone to super league. worst aussie ive ever seen come to town.
ian marsh- shocking,shocking,shocking.

best coach-peter walsh
worst coach-dave rotherham

favourite player-vinny fawcett
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#6 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

###### off wonky, that's pretty much what I was gonna pick. Except swap Marsh for lynton stott, the big ###### house. And swap Fawcett for Howard Burns.

#7 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

For the unbelievable hype about what he was gonna do for us Martyn Wood must be down there ... Craig Richards to and dont forget Billy Platt !!!Jimmy a definite up the top end of course , and also Des for sheer wonderful entertainment value . Lusi probably to .

Edited by DavidM, 27 February 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#8 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

Top 3

Billy Pattinson
James Pickering
Boxer Walker

Bottom 3

Mark Lord
Shaun Wane
Mark Johnston

#9 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

top three Ken Kerr,James Pickering,Bill Pattinson bottom three Mick Matache,Mark Lord,Billy Platt.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#10 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

Ken Kerr and Tony Kay were two centres I'd take in any of our teams . Just watching old DVD of Kay , the guy was just something else scything on the outside of his man . If I get Paddy in there ill move The King to 6.

#11 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Oooh, just remembered. What was the name of that Australian full back were signed who was apparently "better than Wendell sailor as a junior". The one who puked under the posts after 10 minutes in a game.

#12 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Oooh, just remembered. What was the name of that Australian full back were signed who was apparently "better than Wendell sailor as a junior". The one who puked under the posts after 10 minutes in a game.

was it butch fatnowna (or however you spell it)
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#13 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

That's him, embarrassingly bad.

#14 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Best.
Pickering - Probably one of the best props I have seen play on DP including international and SL players.
Kerr - one word - Awesome.
Sione - Totally unpredictable and very entertaining.

Worst.
Jay Duffy - He should have stayed on the roof they found him on.
Franco Kmet - Half Italian half pathetic - say no more.
Henare - Worse than most because he did have talent but wasted it and his attitude stank.

I changed my mind ten times on the best 3 and on a different day the likes of Lunt, Mully, Dessie etc etc etc would be in there. Pickering would always be in there though. I saw my first game in about 1980 but if I'm honest apart from getting my photo with Billy Patt & Lynn Hopkins etc I cant really remember taking a lot of notice of the games until the late 80's.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#15 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

Ken Kerr and Tony Kay were two centres I'd take in any of our teams . Just watching old DVD of Kay , the guy was just something else scything on the outside of his man . If I get Paddy in there ill move The King to 6.

Is that Paddy Tuimavave? His nephew Evarn Tuimavave is playing for HKR this season.

Butch Fatnowna's nephew was playing for the team Dave Petersen is playing for this season - Mackay Cutters

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#16 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Sure is Keith . Silky smooth and not many town centres have scored test hattricks !!

#17 fester

fester
  • Coach
  • 515 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Lusi sione fken class rember when we played york n got beat 70 10 / 6 not 100% he went trew abt 4 / 5 york players then went full pitch to score class like

#18 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

I'm having a mare here, can't remember names at all. Anyone remember the tall australian stand off we had who couldnt pass left to right, think he was here when ross O'Reilly was coach. Was It nairn, or something.

#19 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 702 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

Best 3
Sione
John Tuimaluga
Mattinson

Worst
the lad from Preston Grasshoppers..cant think of his name

Ian Marsh
And Duffy

#20 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 702 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

Infact no...JT was only good in his second season Manihera was class. Limmer also.. Too hard to pick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users