Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Top 3 bottom 3 players like barrows forum

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Top 3. Boxer, king kenny kerr & share varley
Worst 3. Khmet, collister& ray Lewis

#22 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Lol you can tell how old people are by reading This thread

Edited by town4me, 27 February 2013 - 10:12 PM.

#23 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Jimmy Pickering ... no comment required.
Barry Williams...everything you could want in a second-row...speed,step,size,hands and feet and brains of a halfback.
Colin Armstrong ... another forward but he was the cornerstone of our best teams and a great captain.

Carl Roden .... inept is being kind.
Shaun Wane/Mark Lord ... joint award.
Billy Platt ... averaged 2 interception passes per game.

Special mention for 3 players , the first two played in Town teams at all levels including SL :

Peter Riley ... not the biggest prop but was Town to the bone and gave his all every game.
Paul Penrice... played in 3 positions and was a formidable defender and a regular try scorer.
Alan McMullen ... Damage must have made 40 tackles per game and not a big yard maker but a crowd favourite.

#24 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Jimmy Pickering ... no comment required.
Barry Williams...everything you could want in a second-row...speed,step,size,hands and feet and brains of a halfback.
Colin Armstrong ... another forward but he was the cornerstone of our best teams and a great captain.

Carl Roden .... inept is being kind.
Shaun Wane/Mark Lord ... joint award.
Billy Platt ... averaged 2 interception passes per game.

Special mention for 3 players , the first two played in Town teams at all levels including SL :

Peter Riley ... not the biggest prop but was Town to the bone and gave his all every game.
Paul Penrice... played in 3 positions and was a formidable defender and a regular try scorer.
Alan McMullen ... Damage must have made 40 tackles per game and not a big yard maker but a crowd favourite.

Was just thinking surely someone has got to mention Carl Roden. Don't think I've ever seen anyone verbally abused as much in my life. Truly woeful.

Jimmy Pickering
Mulligan
Barry Williams

My top 3, took some debating that one!

Edited by Town Army, 27 February 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#25 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

I'm having a mare here, can't remember names at all. Anyone remember the tall australian stand off we had who couldnt pass left to right, think he was here when ross O'Reilly was coach. Was It nairn, or something.

Scott Brown.

#26 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

Scott Brown.

That was him, I had never seen a stand off who couldnt pass before.or tackle. Or run. Or kick.

#27 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Who remembers gavin brown! Think i have got the name right. Big lad

#28 bomber is god

bomber is god
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

yep i do ,the big lad played mainly a team i think.
COME ON YOU TOWN!!

#29 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

Some other prime candidates for the bottom 3 :-

David Fraisse
Peter Livett
Greg Brake
Ben Lia
Mark Cox
Kyle White
Matiake Mafi
Fata Sini

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#30 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Who remembers gavin brown! Think i have got the name right. Big lad

Big Gav got a few tries from the old 'flying wedge' tactic before it was banned. I think he was the second biggest player I've ever seen at Town, marginally behind a huge Aussie we had briefly in the 70's called Gibbs.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#31 Hate the rec

Hate the rec
  • Workington
  • 872 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Mine are top 3; Allan Rowley ..... loved the way he used to do a little shuffle with his feet as he picked up speed.
Shane Varley ..... always tackled round the ankles( how it should be done)
Big Jimmy P..... just for the way he battered that little gob (S/H that played for Keighley forgot his name) looked like jimmy was putting in spuds.
worst 3 Joe Ricio .... american footballer TM brought over, played on the wing, when the whistle went he ran and didnt stop till he got to Flimby.
Duffy.... just rubbish.
Norman Turley....wouldnt sign me autograph book (never forgave him) :angry:

#32 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

Top Three:

James Pickering
Mick Jenkins
Mark Mulligan

Bottom Three

Bryan Hendry
John Thursfield
Mateaki Mafi
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#33 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Yeah bomber A team on Saturdays for big gav brown

#34 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Some other prime candidates for the bottom 3 :-

David Fraisse
Peter Livett
Greg Brake
Ben Lia
Mark Cox
Kyle White
Matiake Mafi
Fata Sini

Was Livett the big shot GB amateur that just looked lost?
I'm surprised Kyle White is in there as a bottom 3 pick. Surely not in the same league as some of them mentioned!!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#35 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Have to add lyn Hopkins to my favorites
top kicker who dug a mound with his boot to place the ball on. Could score a try or two as well

#36 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

Peter livett was the full back I was actually thinking about, not stott. He was terrified of being tackled. But leave frenchy dave alone, he was a top bloke. But a bit cack.

#37 Bearintown

Bearintown
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Was Livett the big shot GB amateur that just looked lost?
I'm surprised Kyle White is in there as a bottom 3 pick. Surely not in the same league as some of them mentioned!!

I thought White turned out to be an good player- certainly a ball playing forward- great match against Halifax on Sky for one.
Livett was a barla fullback from Woolston- signed a year late and couldn't cut in the First Division

#38 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Mine are :

Top3 - Jimmy Pickering, Billy Pattinson and Des Drummond (special mention to Brad Hepi and about 10 others.........Mulligan, Boxer, Gorleys, Hopkins, Barry Williams, Buck, Kerr, etc)
Worst - Carl Roden, Ben Lia and Andy Clewes
if we'd got another season out of Anthony Samuels he'd be up there. He took a little time to come good, but he was developing into a belter.

#39 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 852 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:50 AM

Mattayaki mafi wasn't too bad if you ask me 2 try debut and scored a few more tries in his stint!

#40 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Mattayaki mafi wasn't too bad if you ask me 2 try debut and scored a few more tries in his stint!

Didnt he ave a really bad bicep injury?

Also, blokeI know wants me to mention Kevin Gorge`s son, because he believes he was muck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users