Top 3 bottom 3 players like barrows forum

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

Big Gav got a few tries from the old 'flying wedge' tactic before it was banned. I think he was the second biggest player I've ever seen at Town, marginally behind a huge Aussie we had briefly in the 70's called Gibbs.

and Scott Walker and Tau Liku show that being big is no substitute for ability.

#42 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Kyle White ? No way it took him time to get going but he had a good spell after that .

#43 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

Kyle White ? No way it took him time to get going but he had a good spell after that .

totally agree, i liked kyle. i was shocked that scott burgess was in as well. maybe wasnt the greatest hooker in the world but gave 100% everytime and was actually pretty good darting from dummy half.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#44 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I included him because I think when looking at worst players it should be based on utilisation of talent. Lads like Carl Roden etc were poor players in a poor team and played as well as they could, so i think its unfair to include them, they were what they were and never had the talent in the first place. Kyle White came with a reputation from the ARL as being a big talent and never ever lived up to his previous reputation in a Town shirt IMO. That plus the fact that off the field he was the biggest a**ehole you could ever wish to meet, which may be clouding my judgement a little.

#45 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

one i forgot for worst of all time, stuart rhodes. hopeless at town and a long long long way past his best.
if it was since 2000 i would go for
best-
lunty- as previous post
stack- never seen a forward give 100% like he does every single game
holt- the old fella used to control games like no other, kicking game was possibly the best ive seen at derwent park.

worst- again as previous post

Edited by wonky, 28 February 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#46 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Top 3. Boxer, king kenny kerr & share varley
Worst 3. Khmet, collister& ray Lewis

Can't agree with Collister and Ray Lewis, Collister would walk into todays team, and Ray wasn't the most gifted of players but he did try. I reckon we've seen a lot more dross than them over the years. But it's all about opinions I guess.

Worst 3 for me

Billy Platt.....Head and shoulders above the rest, remember been in the Bells end when he made his debut at haven, they were all laughing their heads off at the state of him. He then proceeded to give away 2 interception tries.....class

Paul Gorge....Chairmans son, enough said. (maybe looked bad because he was playing in a great team)

Andrew Clewes....Clewless

Best 3 for ability

Brian Edgar......I was only a boy, but remember him well

Ian Wright.....Superb Centre, one club man

Shane Varley....Whippet like scrumhalf and tough as teak

3 who nearly made it and always put a smile on my face ( and that takes some doing)

Billy Pattinson....My all time Town hero

Jimmy Pickering....Just amazing

Kenn Kerr....Who can forget the night he aquaplaned across the line at the Wreck from 20mts out on a soggy December night.

Can anyone remember Stuart Chick ? I nearly put him in the worst 3 but couldn't remember if he was as bad as the ones I picked, I've a feeling he was.

#47 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Can't agree with Collister and Ray Lewis, Collister would walk into todays team, and Ray wasn't the most gifted of players but he did try. I reckon we've seen a lot more dross than them over the years. But it's all about opinions I guess.

Worst 3 for me

Billy Platt.....Head and shoulders above the rest, remember been in the Bells end when he made his debut at haven, they were all laughing their heads off at the state of him. He then proceeded to give away 2 interception tries.....class

Paul Gorge....Chairmans son, enough said. (maybe looked bad because he was playing in a great team)

Andrew Clewes....Clewless

Best 3 for ability

Brian Edgar......I was only a boy, but remember him well

Ian Wright.....Superb Centre, one club man

Shane Varley....Whippet like scrumhalf and tough as teak

3 who nearly made it and always put a smile on my face ( and that takes some doing)

Billy Pattinson....My all time Town hero

Jimmy Pickering....Just amazing

Kenn Kerr....Who can forget the night he aquaplaned across the line at the Wreck from 20mts out on a soggy December night.

Can anyone remember Stuart Chick ? I nearly put him in the worst 3 but couldn't remember if he was as bad as the ones I picked, I've a feeling he was.

i wouldn't question anyones effort just overall ability on the pitch.

#48 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Yes, I put him in my three. He was a winger as I recall, one of Ray Ashton's lesser achievements bringing him to Town. He only played about 4 games.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#49 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

talking of kyle white, does anyone remember town claiming they had signed his brother josh, only for it to fall through? reason i ask is i noticed josh criticising someone on facebook for not honouring a contract so i asked him (politely) about town. he didn't appreciate the question! he denied that he had signed which isn't how it was reported.

#50 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Josh white , wests magpies 7 . That would have been a coup .

#51 haven94

haven94
  • Coach
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

what about your coach gary charlton and his dad plus boxer walker was a great player

#52 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

talking of kyle white, does anyone remember town claiming they had signed his brother josh, only for it to fall through? reason i ask is i noticed josh criticising someone on facebook for not honouring a contract so i asked him (politely) about town. he didn't appreciate the question! he denied that he had signed which isn't how it was reported.

If I remember correctly, he was supposed to have signed for us, only to then not turn up to pre season.

A quick Google search found this..

www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby-league-reber-on-alert-to-face-leeds-1069779.html

#53 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

And going back to the greybeards memories the great Gus Risman and Sol Roper who my dad still goes on about .... Lets just say we've had many great and legendary players who've lit up our lives and shaped our great history . Three is never gonna do it , its impossible . So many will never be forgotten .

Edited by DavidM, 28 February 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#54 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

what about your coach gary charlton and his dad plus boxer walker was a great player

Gary in the top 3 !!! His dad maybe........and Boxer.....great player who we got the best of, before his career went downhill :rolleyes:

Yeh we know about the GB cap, so don't bother with that one.

#55 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

Boxer was in the World XIII in 1979, when he was a Town player

1 Graham Eadie (Australia)
2 Kerry Boustead (Australia)
3 John Joyner (GB)
4 Jean-Marc Bourret (France)
5 John Atkinson (GB)
6 Alan Thompson (Australia)
7 Arnie Walker (GB)
8 Craig Young (Australia)
9 George Peponis (Australia)
10 Rod Morris (Australia)
11 Les Boyd (Australia)
12 Rod Reddy (Australia)
13 Ray Price (Australia)

#56 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

If I remember correctly, he was supposed to have signed for us, only to then not turn up to pre season.

A quick Google search found this..

www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby-league-reber-on-alert-to-face-leeds-1069779.html

cheers! his reply to me was pretty weird and I didn't really understand it. things seemed so promising then and we made a good start to the season but completely collapsed when Mick Jenkins went to Gateshead.

#57 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,288 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Useful back row when the fight broke out there !!!

#58 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

My top 3 would Mulligan, Pickering & Kitchin with an honourable mention for David Baildon. If he'd played in one of Walshy's teams, he'd have been unstoppable.

Bottom 3 is hard. Lots of players have been a bit out of their depth but, as someone else pointed out, it needs a bit of context. so in relation to expectation, tony Smith, Scott Brown and Butch Fatnowna.

#59 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,076 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Talking of Stuart's, thats just reminded me of Stuart Cash a BARLA international 2nd rower who we signed from Woolston at the same time as Peter Livett. He was absolutely rubbish and didn't last long at the club.

On the plus side for Stuart's, nobody has yet mentioned Stuart Cocker who was the most opportunistic try scorer I've ever seen at Town. He was one of those players who just knew how to score tries, quite often when the other side had the ball with his mastery of striking at the PTB before they outlawed it. He could do very little in a game and come off at the end with a hat-trick !

#60 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

yeah i always liked cocker, as you say he could score from anywhere, and was probably most dangerous with the other team in posession. his try at old trafford was one of my favourites.

Edited by wonky, 28 February 2013 - 04:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users