Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Top 3 bottom 3 players like barrows forum

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

Was Livett the big shot GB amateur that just looked lost?
I'm surprised Kyle White is in there as a bottom 3 pick. Surely not in the same league as some of them mentioned!!

Agreed, Kyle White was one of the most destructive forwards I've ever seen

#62 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Most exciting to watch for me - Sione, Manihera and Barry Williams marginally more than Jenkins, Lunt, Walsh and Hetherington oh and Savelio was pretty impressive.

Least exciting to watch duffy roden and second rower from whitehaven whose name I can't recall who rejoined a couple of years ago then vanished again who always managed to hit the ground before he was tackled.

#63 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

When I think of Cocker I think of a game at Keighley in a mud bath when they were the top dogs and we went there and won with him scoring two crackers down the wing . And Hepi had a good barney with someone I can't think off from their pack .

#64 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,831 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

Least exciting to watch duffy roden and second rower from whitehaven whose name I can't recall who rejoined a couple of years ago then vanished again who always managed to hit the ground before he was tackled.

Ryan Campbell ?

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#65 Okesene

Okesene
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

Some of my favourites:

Jonny Limmer
Gentleman Hitro Okesene
Anthony Samual

Some my least favourites:

Tommy Brindle
Taani Lavulavu
Andrew Beattie - 2nd Spell

#66 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Yes, I put him in my three. He was a winger as I recall, one of Ray Ashton's lesser achievements bringing him to Town. He only played about 4 games.

Virtually everybody from the 91/92 season including Jason Green (another of Ashton's) and Colin Coles. Poor Jonny Lomax must've wondered what he was doing here.

Not sure i should include CC as he wasn't very happy about his treatment by Jam Free !

#67 homeandawayer

homeandawayer
  • Coach
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

Most exciting to watch for me - Sione, Manihera and Barry Williams marginally more than Jenkins, Lunt, Walsh and Hetherington oh and Savelio was pretty impressive.

Ryan Campbell ?

Edited by homeandawayer, 28 February 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#68 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 648 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

Dean Burgess??

Anthony Samuel was my hero growing up! Tackling machine.

Edited by Cato89, 28 February 2013 - 09:30 PM.

#69 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

A forward called Mark Kear now springs to mind as one of the worst.

#70 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Honourable mention for Phil Mckenzie for sheer class and impact in a short time . And big mention for Rowland Phillips for sticking with us as things started to turn and carrying us .And I'll go with Tony Smith , Martyn Wood and Mark Lord for huge hype that never materialised to anything.

Edited by DavidM, 28 February 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#71 Monkeydo

Monkeydo
  • Coach
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Did the ex jam second row have a brother called dexter or somerhing unual like that?

#72 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:28 AM

I started watching town regular around 91, my top 3 are

Jimmy Pickering - enough said already,
Mark mulligan - solid as a rock, scored tries and what a kicking game out of hand.
Jarrad stack - mr consistent, does he do bad games???

Worst 3

Ten minute taani - I thought he was dire
Mark Jackson - no interest in playing for town, and it showed, thought champ 1 would be a breeze and did nowt.
Mark Hobson - awfull

#73 bobg

bobg
  • Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:49 AM

When I think of Cocker I think of a game at Keighley in a mud bath when they were the top dogs and we went there and won with him scoring two crackers down the wing . And Hepi had a good barney with someone I can't think off from their pack .

#74 bobg

bobg
  • Coach
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:50 AM

Brendan Hill

#75 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

I started watching town regular around 91, my top 3 are

Jimmy Pickering - enough said already,
Mark mulligan - solid as a rock, scored tries and what a kicking game out of hand.
Jarrad stack - mr consistent, does he do bad games???

Worst 3

Ten minute taani - I thought he was dire
Mark Jackson - no interest in playing for town, and it showed, thought champ 1 would be a breeze and did nowt.
Mark Hobson - awfull

OMG.....how could I forget about Jacksons awful displays, must be an age thing, long term memory good, short term memory ######, he's in my 3 now just behind Billy Platt.

#76 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Ryan Campbell ?

Thats the one

#77 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:18 AM

OMG.....how could I forget about Jacksons awful displays, must be an age thing, long term memory good, short term memory ######, he's in my 3 now just behind Billy Platt.

Yep what a rapid demise !

To be fair lavalu was great in his first year in cahoots with the rest of kiwis as was Beattie in his; I remember in his first match against Halifax (friendly) he was superb. I guess after the first year sides have got you worked out more ?

Haven't named anyone from present squad as of course they are all brilliant ! ;)

#78 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:22 AM

Talking of Keighley , the home game at the end of the season was awesome . We ripped them up for 50 with great rugby and Jimmy battered Andy Eyres and was pointing at the scoreboard as they were being sent off !!

#79 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Yep what a rapid demise !

To be fair lavalu was great in his first year in cahoots with the rest of kiwis as was Beattie in his; I remember in his first match against Halifax (friendly) he was superb. I guess after the first year sides have got you worked out more ?

Haven't named anyone from present squad as of course they are all brilliant ! ;)

Jacko had a great career but was spent when he arrived. If anything the guy was the best hooker the counties produced in years he had it all, passing game, aggressive defence and his kicking game was something nobody in the pro game ever seen and someone decided to turn him into a prop forward!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#80 topladtownie

topladtownie
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

Not sure i should include CC as he wasn't very happy about his treatment by Jam Free !

haha cc, he'll come and find you

This is ever so hard to pick top 3 and bottom 3.

Top 3 - Jimmy P, Shane Varley, Kenny Kerr - Easily chuck another 20 or so top contenders for second and third spots - The only one that could never be in doubt is Jimmy P - what a player.

Bottom 3 - Yeah if going off hype and then who were rubbish - Lordy (can't have done much of a medical injured when he came), Wood & livett.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users