Top 3 bottom 3 players like barrows forum

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#81 topladtownie

topladtownie
  • Coach
  • 778 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

My top 3 would Mulligan, Pickering & Kitchin with an honourable mention for David Baildon. If he'd played in one of Walshy's teams, he'd have been unstoppable.

Bottom 3 is hard. Lots of players have been a bit out of their depth but, as someone else pointed out, it needs a bit of context. so in relation to expectation, tony Smith, Scott Brown and Butch Fatnowna.

Baildon was class in not the best side. While Greg Brake????? Although not is same league, tried his best in poor side, going back to Bamford/Turley era??? Sure h&a will put me right.

#82 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:27 PM

Maybe a bit harsh on Livett? After all he was thrust into the top level of RL straight from amatuer, so he ain't going to shine.

#83 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

What about most unfulfilled promise? The two that immediately spring to mind are Wear and Walsh. But had a bit of magic but for one reason or another it was wasted.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#84 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Stuart Cash , not his mate Livett . At least Livett got on the pitch and had a dig ! I never seen Cash out of his civvies.

Edited by DavidM, 01 March 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#85 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 525 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

yeah Cash never played, which was strange as he was in the same barla rep backrow as john allen who went on to be our best player in super league

#86 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

Yep bizarre . John Allen , now there was a player loaded with natural talent .

#87 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

Jacko had a great career but was spent when he arrived. If anything the guy was the best hooker the counties produced in years he had it all, passing game, aggressive defence and his kicking game was something nobody in the pro game ever seen and someone decided to turn him into a prop forward!

Can't disagree with any of that, it's just he was awfull for us and that's the point of the thread.

Edited by ameliasdaddy, 01 March 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#88 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 879 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

You can't knock Ryan Campbell to me the lad put it in when he was asked in a couple of spells at town and was unlucky with injuries! No where near as bad as some of the tripe we have had

#89 Town Army

Town Army
  • Coach
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

You can't knock Ryan Campbell to me the lad put it in when he was asked in a couple of spells at town and was unlucky with injuries! No where near as bad as some of the tripe we have had

Gotta agree there. And whoever said Lavulavu was decent when he first came. . . . Well I must have been on my hols!!

#90 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Forgive me if he's been mentioned already but big Okesene is way up there for entertainment value and getting stuck in !! Then I seen him doing the bins ! Good old hitro .

Edited by DavidM, 01 March 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#91 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

Gotta agree there. And whoever said Lavulavu was decent when he first came. . . . Well I must have been on my hols!!

Well I didn't say it but I thought when he first come him and JT both played well. It didn't last long though!
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#92 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Tani and jt did start off quite good but then it appears nights out and such became part and parcel unfortunately which should be the case! I mean it took jarrad stack about 2 months to settle and he hasn't looked back and it's a privelidge to watch that lad captain our team!!

Special mentions limmer and sione for sure they were class players and the jam even asked about getting limmer back last season shows how good he was,

Was reading on Wikipedia on players careers and apparently Richard Henare didn't even play for town, ha, well I remember his 2 fingers salutes at us fans when he was in a town shirt and also a swinton shirt,

Mattyaki mafis son or nephew plays or played for South Wales too!!

#93 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

Steve Arnold was another cr ap player who never looked like a rugby player.

We were nearly Warringtons A team at that time - Arnold, Mafi, Close, Whitter, Thurstfield off the top of my head. Maybe we were ahead of our time!

#94 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

This is true Ross oreily brought them all didn't he, he had the Steve McCormack type role but for town

#95 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 879 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Rob tew I ment

#96 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

I don't think anyones mentioned lewty yet? He was one who actually got better and better

#97 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:13 AM

Big nicky crellin was a legend!

#98 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:17 AM

I trust a Barrow fan can join in here. The three I "hated" the most when they played against Barrow (so therefore they must have been good) are Paul Charlton, Boxer Walker and James Pickering. Some of the forwards Town produced (Particularly in the 1960s and 1970s) were fearsome and it must have been very difficult for any team going up to Derwent Park in those days knowing that even if they won it was going to hurt :).

Posted Image

#99 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

The late 1970's pack of Jim Mills, Alan Banks, Eddie Bowman, Les & Peter Gorley and then Billy Pattinson were awesome at times and could dish it out.

#100 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Jacko had a great career but was spent when he arrived. If anything the guy was the best hooker the counties produced in years he had it all, passing game, aggressive defence and his kicking game was something nobody in the pro game ever seen and someone decided to turn him into a prop forward!

Spot on marra jackos best season at haven in my opinion was 2008 matty and sicey where injured for 2nd half of the season so jacko and chris smith where the hookers then and he was outstanding that was the year we won at leigh and fax in the play offs before we got tonked at salford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users