Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

That terrifying school in Peterborough

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Where all the children are non English speaking himmygrunts sponging off the state ...

Or something http://www.guardian....adstone-primary
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

At my childrens' 350-pupil primary school in suburban Leeds there are now 51 different nationalities represented, from Canadians and Kiwis to Poles and Pakistanis.

There has not been a single incident of racism recorded in nearly two years (and the last one was just a naive word from one 5 year old to another, witnessed by a teacher).

The school was recently awarded outstanding status by Ofsted. If you were to spend an hour at one of the many events we hold, such as the summer fair or the regular 'international breakfasts', you would wonder at the rich diversity and total integration among kids and parents alike.

People like the Express reporter who make derogatory comments about schools like Gladstone ought to be invited to spend an hour or so observing what actually goes on, rather than needlessly stirring up tension and division with ill-informed and unhelpful remarks.

On the issue of language, its generally true that kids who don't speak English at home under-perform academically at school. This ought to change over time as new generations of English speakers come through the school system.

#3 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

What struck me about the radio interview with the headmistress was her positivity, her enthusiasm and the way she had so successfully adapted to the situation that was not of her making..and not a moan anywhere.

#4 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

Where all the children are non English speaking himmygrunts sponging off the state ...

Or something http://www.guardian....adstone-primary

I'm pretty sure it's not the only school in the situation, but they are pretty rare.

I think many of the commentators do not understand the fundamental diffference between that school and a school where most of the children have the same, non-English, language as a first language.

The other point to make is - OFSTED isn't worth the paper it's written on

That's me.  I'm done.

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,078 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

well done the children, their parents, and the teachers for their acheivements and for defying the bigots
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

I'm pretty sure it's not the only school in the situation, but they are pretty rare.

I think many of the commentators do not understand the fundamental diffference between that school and a school where most of the children have the same, non-English, language as a first language.

Those are all good points.
- Severus, July 2012

#7 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,566 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

So what if te school is doing a good job now?

1. In 2011, it was "awarded" Ofsted's lowest ever mark. That means that, up to and including 2011, schoolchildren were getting an extremely substandard education. I'm glad my grandkids didn't go there.

2. How much additional funding has been pumped in to get that school up to its current good standard? Basically, that's money that could have been spent on british kids that's gone on foreign ones. Can't see any mention of that in the Guardian article.

3. My daughter teaches in a former sink school that got shut down following poor ratings by Ofsted and is now run as an Academy by the Dept of Education. It's had a fortune spent on it and the teachers were attracted by being offered extra grades or increments.Can't see any mention of that in the Guardian article either.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

1. In 2011, it was "awarded" Ofsted's lowest ever mark. That means that, up to and including 2011, schoolchildren were getting an extremely substandard education. I'm glad my grandkids didn't go there.

2. How much additional funding has been pumped in to get that school up to its current good standard? Basically, that's money that could have been spent on british kids that's gone on foreign ones. Can't see any mention of that in the Guardian article.

3. My daughter teaches in a former sink school that got shut down following poor ratings by Ofsted and is now run as an Academy by the Dept of Education. It's had a fortune spent on it and the teachers were attracted by being offered extra grades or increments.Can't see any mention of that in the Guardian article either.

Failing schools are often turned round with extra investment. That's true regardless of whether they pass your increasingly warped version of the Tebbitt test.
- Severus, July 2012

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Can't see any mention of that in the Guardian article.

The school is helped by additional local-authority funding for newly arrived pupils in their first three years at school. Around £97,000 this year has funded innovations such as a new "family support worker" who liaises with parents (who may struggle with English) and visits families at home if pupils are absent from school

Typical mainstream media silence on the issues and costs.
- Severus, July 2012

#10 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,566 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

The school is helped by additional local-authority funding for newly arrived pupils in their first three years at school. Around £97,000 this year has funded innovations such as a new "family support worker" who liaises with parents (who may struggle with English) and visits families at home if pupils are absent from school

Typical mainstream media silence on the issues and costs.

If it's anything like my daughter's school; that's only a fraction of the real costs.

It's also likely to be £97,000 that no other local school has got.

You're the one with the warped perspective.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#11 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

If it's anything like my daughter's school; that's only a fraction of the real costs.

Yes, it will be. Like every school in special measures it takes money out of the county's budget to get them out again.
- Severus, July 2012

#12 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 799 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Reading that article that appears to be the case with Gladstone as well Steve to a certain extent.

"About 80% of its pupils are from a Pakistani background: most speak Punjabi" The 20 other foreign languages is a bit of a side show by all accounts.

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

So here we have a school that was poorly rated but has turned itself round. It has also somehow managed to get £100k of money that " it is also likely... no other school has got".... but we don't actually know that.

I am not generally known for the warmth of my feelings toward the teaching industry and its unions, but I do think this is a genuine good news and well-done story.

#14 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,078 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

nothing to do with the hard work, dedication, belief and unity of the parents, children and staff then.
Keeping it local

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,078 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

So here we have a school that was poorly rated but has turned itself round. It has also somehow managed to get £100k of money that " it is also likely... no other school has got".... but we don't actually know that.

I am not generally known for the warmth of my feelings toward the teaching industry and its unions, but I do think this is a genuine good news and well-done story.

mate you are a pussycat compared to exxile sometime of this parish.
Keeping it local

#16 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

The school I attended was put on special measures a year after I left. I'm assuming they got extra funding to bring it up to scratch. When I was there I knew of no pupils who were non-British citizens.
Fides invicta triumphat

#17 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

The school I attended was put on special measures a year after I left. I'm assuming they got extra funding to bring it up to scratch. When I was there I knew of no pupils who were non-British citizens.

I understand these things do take a year to get put in place. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users