Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

NRL On Premier Sports

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:18 PM

I have a pretty big tv and find the picture quality decent enough.

#62 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

I have a pretty big tv and find the picture quality decent enough.

Me too, looks fine on my 55" LG. Far better than a dodgy internet stream anyway.
Posted Image

#63 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

oh right, utterly gash on mine. Mine is a plasma, maybe that's it?

#64 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

That's all well and good, but ITV et al have to be interested in the product in the first place. The fact that Premier took these rights up three years ago because nobody else could be bothered showing the comp shows that interest in the NRL is pretty low across the UK broadcasters

I don't know how active the NRL was in hawking it's rights here. Maybe nobody would be interested even if the rights were being given away, for all I know.
Another point: why can't we at least watch replies on the NRL's own website? If they really must sell the UK rights to a penny ante outfit like Premier sports they could at least tell them to **** themselves over the exclusivity clause, I assume they got.

#65 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

Give it away for free and have them broadcast it at bad hours and no promotion or sell it to the channel tjhat already does a good job with the Champs and will promote it.

Tough choice.

Yeah, like they're really going to get a big promotional bang for their buck from big time Premier sports. They would also be able to write into a "give away" contract when games were aired and set targets for how many hours of promo were aired.
I just can't get excited about just another brick in the wall of the ghettoisation of rugby league coverage in England.

#66 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

LOOK GUYS lets face it we are all RL NUTS however outside of Oz/NZ and and few Pacific Islands the NRL means F ALL:( Sometimes we have to realize that we are living in a bubble.

CM

NFL means nothing to me but I hear quite a bit about it. There are no pro gridiron sides in this country yet it gets shown live on tv.

#67 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Yeah, like they're really going to get a big promotional bang for their buck from big time Premier sports. They would also be able to write into a "give away" contract when games were aired and set targets for how many hours of promo were aired.
I just can't get excited about just another brick in the wall of the ghettoisation of rugby league coverage in England.

Not that long ago we couldn't see any live Aussie games at all. Now that people are showing them but in varying places, is hardly ghettoisation really.

#68 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

NFL means nothing to me but I hear quite a bit about it. There are no pro gridiron sides in this country yet it gets shown live on tv.

But the NFL is really popular in this country. I don't get what your point is.

#69 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

But the NFL is really popular in this country. I don't get what your point is.

Perhaps if RL got a tenth of the 'cool' and positive publicity that NFL gets, we might do better.
The reason RL gets scant coverage in this country is because there is allegedly no interest except in one or two towns. The 'evidence' for this is deemed to be the lack of pro cubs in most places. Using this logic, there should be no coverage of NFL, especially given the failed efforts.

#70 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,620 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Not that long ago we couldn't see any live Aussie games at all. Now that people are showing them but in varying places, is hardly ghettoisation really.

Time was when I had to plod down to Blockbusters every week and rent the Aussie RL video which had condensed versions of a couple of matches.........................and it was like magic from another world. Now its possible to get live matches straight into your living room (except for we Virgin customers sigh!!) and all some people do is complain about it.

Tcccch, kids today!!
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#71 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Time was when I had to plod down to Blockbusters every week and rent the Aussie RL video which had condensed versions of a couple of matches.........................and it was like magic from another world. Now its possible to get live matches straight into your living room (except for we Virgin customers sigh!!) and all some people do is complain about it.

Tcccch, kids today!!

Spot on with that pal.

I lived in a remote area of the Scottish Highlands for thirty years and when BSB and Eurosports started to show
R/L I was over the moon with it, then with Sky we also got , for a time the Oz game, it was like paradise had descended, for I had spent some years getting to only maybe a couple of games a season and whatever the BBC put on at that time.

With the advent of setanta and now P/sports I firmly believe that the best £10.00 you can purchase anywhere is on offer from them. For I will not miss a minute, hopefully, of the best R/L played on the planet.
Whatever, as you say, goes on in some folks minds and what they find to hold a gripe about simply astounds me.

#72 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Just watched some Gaelic Football and the picture was definitely ok.

#73 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

Posted Image

Dear Ustream subscriber,

A new standalone Premier Player will be launched in the next few weeks meaning this current service will be closing.

Included in this new service will be availability to stream on multiple devices, 7 day catch-up and large archives of Video on Demand. The new service will also be free to all current Premier Sports TV subscribers.

We would recommend you do not subscribe to this service until the new bespoke player in launched.

Does this means two devices at the same time?? (with the one account)

Hopefully the streaming will be ready in time for Sydney v Sydney.

Edited by ShotgunGold, 02 March 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#74 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

Just watched some Gaelic Football and the picture was definitely ok.

Yes but that is all it is.

If HD is irrelevant why do sky bother, and why do people get it?

#75 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

Yes but that is all it is.

If HD is irrelevant why do sky bother, and why do people get it?

If that's all we can moan about, it's hardly the end of the world. The picture was not HD quality but pretty good and only the most moaning old tosspot would find it that big a deal.

#76 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:07 AM

If that's all we can moan about, it's hardly the end of the world. The picture was not HD quality but pretty good and only the most moaning old tosspot would find it that big a deal.

Its the second decade of the 21st century, and HD quality TV is the norm now, as is quality surround sound. If being a tosspot is to want HD then there are a heck of a lot of tosspots in the UK - otherwise why do we now yearn for HD?. I dont think Premiersports is good value without this feature

#77 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:14 AM

I have HD and whilst its great and definitely better than regular broadcasts, its hardly worth getting *that* worked up about.
Plus you see all the wrinkles in the actors in Coronation St.....and is that worth it?

#78 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

Posted Image

Dear Ustream subscriber,

A new standalone Premier Player will be launched in the next few weeks meaning this current service will be closing.

Included in this new service will be availability to stream on multiple devices, 7 day catch-up and large archives of Video on Demand. The new service will also be free to all current Premier Sports TV subscribers.

We would recommend you do not subscribe to this service until the new bespoke player in launched.

Does this means two devices at the same time?? (with the one account)

Hopefully the streaming will be ready in time for Sydney v Sydney.

yay ipad app ftw
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#79 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

I have HD and whilst its great and definitely better than regular broadcasts, its hardly worth getting *that* worked up about.
Plus you see all the wrinkles in the actors in Coronation St.....and is that worth it?

LOL!

For me it is. Tbh the better sound quality is 50% of the benefit, as I have a home cinema system as well as a HD telly.

I believe that even higher definition tellys are on their way....

#80 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,817 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

aye...4k HDTV is next

Edited by roughyedspud, 03 March 2013 - 12:40 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL