Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Fighting Spirit

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

That was an incredible game of footy and showed us the fighting spirit of the Dogs.

Who would have thought down 18-8 with six minutes left on the clock we would end with a draw and most probably could have won if that goal after Pott's try had been converted.

A good effort by all, Thought Greenwood was caught out of position on a number of occasions but easy to be ctitical.

Edited by frank, 28 February 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#2 Supertyke

Supertyke
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

This team has character!!!
But still ... silly mistakes cost us the match

A RUGBY LEAGUE EXILE

#3 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

This team has character!!!
But still ... silly mistakes cost us the match

And Smith was lucky to stay on. However the high tackle by Walton was balanced out by Barlow and Worrincy. Great game, lots of fight and a fair result in the end.

#4 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Just wonderful to be able to visit the Mount from this distance and to be treated to a display like that.Great to have a computer.

#5 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,908 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

According to Rhino and the early whingers on the RLFans forum, George Stokes rescued a draw for us. Halifax fans do like to get their excuses in early and late.

#6 BIG IAN

BIG IAN
  • Coach
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Stokes was the ref, and Batley got the draw, at least he's consistently bent, ala york.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

That display showed true spirit from a team Well done shame you switched off for 5 seconds and let that silly try in but cannot see you losing many at all this season

#8 NEW DOG

NEW DOG
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

I think the ref wa awful for both teams to be honest. 3 times Fax were crossing in the first half and never pulled up for it. Great advert for our game as it had a bi of everything. Fax looked strong down the middle which surprised me that we insisted on playing there. We now full we'll you won't beat a Harrison team thru the middle. Fair play to Hemmingway cos afte missing the Potts conversation that last minute kick took some bottle, and it was worth watching Handforth whinging that it didn't go over. Sorry to disappoint you Tiger but I was righ behind it and it was gun barrell straight. Maybe the best team didn't get the full points but that's rugby league for you. Grritty performance and a well earned 2 points. 18-10 down with 7 minutes to go. Great comeback!!!! See you all back at the shay Fax fans for some more moaning!!!!

#9 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,413 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

Stokes ruined the game for me as both sides laying on and messing around at the play the ball was beyond a joke. And you could see players getting frustrated. How on earth Smith stayed on the field I will never know. Even if Blindman Stokes had missed it surely the TJs didnt? There was a few high tackles, that were more clumsy than malicious from both sides. Great kick at the end. We (Fax) threw the win away, rather than Stokes having a say in the result though he was incompetant as usual. Fax looked better with Murrell and Handforth and halfback. Thackray is just not a halfback and does nothing except get on the end of a break. Tonight he didnt even do that. Batley looked to make more metres but your attack options look very weak. You should have scored more with all that pressure on the Halifax line

#10 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

Not so sure about weak attack options as we scored more tries through our own play than mistakes, two of your tries were from our mistakes. Both defences were strong and I think you do your own defence a diservice. Remember we scored many more points against both Keighley and York than you did. I thought you would run away with it in the second half but we defended well only making those silly mistakes.
I put on your forum that Murrell seems to be bringing the best out of Handforth, he was outstanding. I genuinely did not notice Thackray throughout the match.

#11 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:37 AM

Stokes ruined the game for me as both sides laying on and messing around at the play the ball was beyond a joke. And you could see players getting frustrated. How on earth Smith stayed on the field I will never know. Even if Blindman Stokes had missed it surely the TJs didnt? There was a few high tackles, that were more clumsy than malicious from both sides. Great kick at the end. We (Fax) threw the win away, rather than Stokes having a say in the result though he was incompetant as usual. Fax looked better with Murrell and Handforth and halfback. Thackray is just not a halfback and does nothing except get on the end of a break. Tonight he didnt even do that. Batley looked to make more metres but your attack options look very weak. You should have scored more with all that pressure on the Halifax line

I agree we had a lot of possession on your line and didn't convert to points, mainly due to the excellent fax line defence, however fax took their chances when they came but the last five mins was awesome and fax were hanging on, great credit to both teams on a superb game.

#12 jiggyknight

jiggyknight
  • Coach
  • 654 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

stokes ruins the game for ever team worse ref in this league and there's some bad ones old ronnie is the best this season.

#13 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:59 AM

stokes ruins the game for ever team worse ref in this league and there's some bad ones old ronnie is the best this season.

Sick of all this bagging refs, just get on with it, you play whats in front of you and the ref is a necessary evil.
Lets focus an amazing game and an amazing comeback by a spirited Bulldogs.

#14 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

Excellent result given the circumstances and a great example of our never say for spirit.

For the most part of the game, despite the fact we had quite alot of possession in dangerous areas, I thought we were pretty much nulified by a very strong fax defence and pack. I doubt we will see Ben Black have such a quiet game again this season.

Great nerve shown by Hemmingway and no little skill, and a big rap to JC who took the try absolutely superbly to even give us that opportunity. I'm continuing to be impressed with the Mennell and Flanaghan interchanging combination at hooker too.

There's definitely improvement to be made, particularly with ball in hand though, but that will come I think, and that comeback last night after looking dead and buried with 6 minutes to go can only help to boost the lads's confidence. Defensively I think we look very strong indeed, bar the lapse for handforth's try. Although fair play to him for the piece of skill though. Got to say I didn't like the way he attempted to get a batley sin binned in the first half, totally unnecessary.

If I was KH I'd be very disappointed as the game was theirs for the taking. After playing with so mush discipline for the majority of the game I couldn't understand why they we ye throwing it out wide with 5 minutes to go, which ultimately led to us having an opportunity to get back into the game.

All in all a cracking match though between 2 very evenly matched sides, and an excellent advert for the championship.

#15 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Excellent result given the circumstances and a great example of our never say for spirit.

For the most part of the game, despite the fact we had quite alot of possession in dangerous areas, I thought we were pretty much nulified by a very strong fax defence and pack. I doubt we will see Ben Black have such a quiet game again this season.

Great nerve shown by Hemmingway and no little skill, and a big rap to JC who took the try absolutely superbly to even give us that opportunity. I'm continuing to be impressed with the Mennell and Flanaghan interchanging combination at hooker too.

There's definitely improvement to be made, particularly with ball in hand though, but that will come I think, and that comeback last night after looking dead and buried with 6 minutes to go can only help to boost the lads's confidence. Defensively I think we look very strong indeed, bar the lapse for handforth's try. Although fair play to him for the piece of skill though. Got to say I didn't like the way he attempted to get a batley sin binned in the first half, totally unnecessary.

If I was KH I'd be very disappointed as the game was theirs for the taking. After playing with so mush discipline for the majority of the game I couldn't understand why they we ye throwing it out wide with 5 minutes to go, which ultimately led to us having an opportunity to get back into the game.

All in all a cracking match though between 2 very evenly matched sides, and an excellent advert for the championship.

#16 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Great entertainment last night and a great finish (for the Dogs fans). Fax were solid all over the pitch last night and Tiger could not have created a bigger gap in our line with a shotgun for his try. I thought in the first half we should have bombed their fullback more as they did to us in the second but all in all happy with a draw :D

PS I thought Cambell finished his try in the corner superbly.

Do we know if George's knee is OK too?

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#17 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

A terrific game for the neutral, but as fans we were certainly put through the ringer.

Glad to get a draw in the end, but 3 fairly soft tries cost us all 3 points as other than that our defence was magnificent. We only seemed to start playing anything like the attacking rugby we know we are capable of when we went down 18-8, and luckily we didnt leave it too late.

Weve seen it in glimpses this year, but once we start consistently playing the attacking rugby we know we can play for the full 80 minutes, we will take some beating.

MOM for me Johnny Campbell - outstanding all night

Honourable Mention - Fleming - really impressed with his work rate.

Another honourable mention - Walton - only tackle he missed led to Handforths try but other than that he was like a man possessed and put in some terrific shots.

Must do better - Potts - positional play was poor and was caught out a lot by kicks, but made up for it with the try - though thought he could have taken it behid the posts.

Another must do better - Hemingway - terrific kick to snatch a draw, but when will he learn to take the line on? he did it once and broke the line last night, then reverted back to his hot potato passes.

Edited by buford t justice, 01 March 2013 - 01:48 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#18 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

Applegarth out for 6 weeks with a broken arm. Will really miss his work rate and defence especially.

Gives the likes of Adam Scott and Liam Walmsley a chance to show what they've got though.

#19 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Applegarth out for 6 weeks with a broken arm. Will really miss his work rate and defence especially.

Gives the likes of Adam Scott and Liam Walmsley a chance to show what they've got though.

Nuts! We will miss his consistency in attack and defence imo :(

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#20 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Shame about APplegarth as every game he puts an enormous shift in that often goes unnoticed. Thought Hirst and Fleming made plenty of ground and despite Byron losing it and really should have been sent off, great to see him showing plenty of aggression. Suspect a ban coming soon so a chance for our squad members to make a name for themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users