Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hawks Prayers Answered with Achurch

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#181 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Unless Burrow, Maguire, Hall and any other player has played in at least six of the Championship clubs League or League Cup fixtures during the season then they can't play in the Grand Final series of matches in the Championship. (Op Rule B3;16)

But then again under Op Rule B3:17 - DR players who have a salary cap value of £20,000 or more (i.e. those in a category A,B,C or D classification) must have played in at least 3 League or League Cup fixtures for the Championships club that season before the end of the season registration deadline which applies in that competition in order to play in games which fall after that deadline whether they be regular season or play off games.

Fair enough. Then such a scenario is not possible at present. However, these rules seem to be amended on an ad hoc basis as and when it suits SL clubs, so, in the future, anything is possible.

I don't fault the SL clubs for trying to curb their costs and becaome financially stable. I do fault them for ruining all these Championship clubs to do it with no regards for them and with complete selfishness as to the ultimate results of their actions.

#182 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Can i have some of what your on? :blink:

I'm on a huge dose of secpticism and distrust regarding the SL clubs ambitions for the Championships. I think a total loss of independence is inevitable and the A team concept will become more than a forum debating point. The SL clubs will suffer the A teams as long as it suits them. If there's no value in the arrangements any more, the A team clubs will be cast off and, having lost any leadersrhip or persons with their best interests in charge after years of being an A, the die will be cast. these clubs will permanently die and the whole game will we much the worse for it.

Now, I might be getting this from magic mushrooms but you'd better hope I am because if I'm only half right, Hunslet and their peers will be history.

#183 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

Let me put this another way. I don't see any point in Hunslet trying (not that they can ate their own academy when the best local players are all signed up to SL.

The best players are taken every year by SL and most rejected in the end.

I do expect Barry Eaton to have his finger onlocal scene and any kid that "slips the net" i.e. your Hardaker types, he'd look to get involved in the Leeds Academy.

What people miss is Eaton is looking at "Leeds" academy as a shared venture.

This is nothing new, Hull/HKR were looking at this.

If you double the amount of kids coming through the academies you won't double the number of quality professionals coming out the other end, at least that's IMHO.

If anything wants doubling its the number of small kids playing in junior ARL teams that counts far more, and Leeds/Hunslet are heavily pushing that.

Good idea in theory... player joins Leeds academy, gets first team experience at Hunslet.. moves on to Leeds if hes successful, stays at Hunslet if he isnt resdy for SL or not gonna make SL quality. .. great.. then why are Achurch & Moore there?

I said when Leedslet Rugby plan came out, it was a good idea in theory, but this where Hunslet are acting as a reserve team is not good for the club or the Championship in the long term.

Cummins Out.

#184 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

Let me put this another way. I don't see any point in Hunslet trying (not that they can) to create their own academy when the best local players are all signed up to SL.

The best players are taken every year by SL and most rejected in the end.

I do expect Barry Eaton to have his finger on the local scene and any kid that "slips the net" i.e. your Hardaker types, he'd look to get involved in the Leeds Academy.

What people miss is Eaton is looking at "Leeds" academy as a shared venture.

This is nothing new, Hull/HKR were looking at this.

If you double the amount of kids coming through the academies you won't double the number of quality professionals coming out the other end, at least that's IMHO.

If anything wants doubling its the number of small kids playing in junior ARL teams that counts far more, and Leeds/Hunslet are heavily pushing that.

Earlier posts talked about the contraction of academy players and reserve team players being good for the game because it saves money.
Absolute bollo x!!
Player development takes investment not contraction and penny-pinching.
Its like planting lettuce - you put 50 seeds in and 20 will germinate.

Of course we could contract further - lets identify the top 60 youngsters at under 21 level. Put them in a Lancs, Yorks and Others academy teams. Let them play each other 10 times a season.
identify and place another tier of 50 into the Championship to 'underpin' the top 60 - about 4 players per Championship club, about the same number as people are calling for as the number of DR players. These 50 players allocated to the CC club by the SL club, as they need the most benefit out of it. No other academies allowed.

That will save a whole load of cash - 18 academies x 25 players = 270 less 110 players above = net reduction of 160 players.
CC clubs will save the wages of say 40 players as maybe not all 50 will play as there has to be a bit of flexibility with injuries etc.
Add a whole load of coaches bring made redundant and the savings add up.
Further add cost savings as to number of kits, pairs of boots, training kit, insurance, medical bills, etc, etc. It could be a big number this.

Is this the model that other sports are following?
Do they think that there is a whole swaythe (perhaps 60%) of players that can be taken out of the system whilst still being able to identify, recruit, coach and develop the same number of players reaching their first team squads as they do now?

Are we creating the blueprint for other sports to follow?

#185 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

I see Leigh are in trouble again, wonder if that memorandum will still be in place in a few weeks?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#186 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Good idea in theory... player joins Leeds academy, gets first team experience at Hunslet.. moves on to Leeds if hes successful, stays at Hunslet if he isnt resdy for SL or not gonna make SL quality. .. great.. then why are Achurch & Moore there?

I said when Leedslet Rugby plan came out, it was a good idea in theory, but this where Hunslet are acting as a reserve team is not good for the club or the Championship in the long term.

Well thanks for some tacit agreement Matt.

Achurch and Moore are there because the system the "twin" club runs is to accommodate a playing staff of young players on the up and also old players on the down.

Championship clubs don't just sign and play young lads who didn't make it in SL they also sign seasoned pros who lose form or get a bit long in the tooth and step down a level.

The old "A" teams used to mix young and old and accommodate first teamers with game time.

No it won't provide a stable set up for the "A" team/Hunslet/Championship club but so what? It's not as if they are out to win the Championship to qualify for Superleague.

Any deal works two way, Eaton wants his hands of quality kids and a chance to sign players who don't make the cut at Leeds young or old. One of the quid pro quo's is providing Macca's senior players with some game time.

People may be critical of this but hey - if the clubs want it (and they do) then live and let live.

If Blackpool Hawks and his mates are loving it good luck to them?

#187 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:10 PM

Absolute bollo x!!

:D Nice point Shaun!

The RFL are keen on setting up academies in south Wales and Cumbria, and they love London.

I'll stick with the idea there's enough academies across the M62.

I don't see the 50 seeds 20 germinate thing.

If you look at how few players come through from so called heartland areas, trying to put every 16YO you can through as many academies as you can is a large waste of time, cost, dilutes competitiveness, breaks up amateur youth teams and creates a massive rejection level.

There has to be a sensible balance, and in Leeds they are running one academy and BTW they have had one academy for all 17 years of SL. It's done darn well. Quality is better than quantity IMHO.

#188 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:16 PM

I don't fault the SL clubs for trying to curb their costs and become financially stable. I do fault them for ruining all these Championship clubs to do it with no regards for them and with complete selfishness as to the ultimate results of their actions.

It's a two way deal for goodness sake, Hunslet are after financial stability too in the form of survival as are other Championship clubs. The Hunslet board are happy, The Hunslet coaching staff are happy and Blackpool Hawk and his mates are happy.

But you rail against it even though all at the club are happy.

If you don't like it come and buy a membership package from the club then you'll have a right to a say in how it's run. Otherwise I suggest you keep your nose out and concentrate on convincing your own club they have a future going forward as an independant.

#189 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

:D Nice point Shaun!

The RFL are keen on setting up academies in south Wales and Cumbria, and they love London.

I'll stick with the idea there's enough academies across the M62.

I don't see the 50 seeds 20 germinate thing.

If you look at how few players come through from so called heartland areas, trying to put every 16YO you can through as many academies as you can is a large waste of time, cost, dilutes competitiveness, breaks up amateur youth teams and creates a massive rejection level.

There has to be a sensible balance, and in Leeds they are running one academy and BTW they have had one academy for all 17 years of SL. It's done darn well. Quality is better than quantity IMHO.

The RFL has never set up a decent academy in West Cumbria - the best ones have either been as a result of parent power many years ago (when all schools still played only union) or by Workington or a joint West Cumbria academy that took the field a few years ago. The last few years have been hit and miss.

My point about the lettuce seeds is that now we are going to have to plant 20 seeds and hope every one of the blighters germinates, grows and provide a top quality lettuce.
As well as that we are also going to have to find an outlet for developing players over say 20, SL squad players and those coming back from injury. The RFL and SL clubs have decided it will be the Championship clubs, mainly because over the last 15 years they have now admitted they cannot provide that structure.

I don't believe they can't afford it. If a club has revenue of £4m then its only 2.5%

#190 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

Well thanks for some tacit agreement Matt.

Achurch and Moore are there because the system the "twin" club runs is to accommodate a playing staff of young players on the up and also old players on the down.

Championship clubs don't just sign and play young lads who didn't make it in SL they also sign seasoned pros who lose form or get a bit long in the tooth and step down a level.

The old "A" teams used to mix young and old and accommodate first teamers with game time.

No it won't provide a stable set up for the "A" team/Hunslet/Championship club but so what? It's not as if they are out to win the Championship to qualify for Superleague.

Any deal works two way, Eaton wants his hands of quality kids and a chance to sign players who don't make the cut at Leeds young or old. One of the quid pro quo's is providing Macca's senior players with some game time.

People may be critical of this but hey - if the clubs want it (and they do) then live and let live.

If Blackpool Hawks and his mates are loving it good luck to them?

I honestly cant tell if youre on a wind up to have a dig at the club... because it doesnt sound like the sort of thing a professional clubs fan should be thinking... surely as a club you should be aiming to be the best at that level, even if you dont have aims to ply your trade at higher level... these plans are just happy to be there.

Cummins Out.

#191 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:56 PM

I honestly cant tell if youre on a wind up to have a dig at the club... because it doesnt sound like the sort of thing a professional clubs fan should be thinking... surely as a club you should be aiming to be the best at that level, even if you dont have aims to ply your trade at higher level... these plans are just happy to be there.

I dont think so

#192 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

I honestly cant tell if you're on a wind up to have a dig at the club... because it doesnt sound like the sort of thing a professional clubs fan should be thinking... surely as a club you should be aiming to be the best at that level, even if you dont have aims to ply your trade at higher level... these plans are just happy to be there.

Matt, I went to a meeting a few years back when my club had run out of money, run out of fans just about and had come bottom of the "Third division" below sides from outside the M62. That meeting was to decide wether to pack it in, it was a life or death meeting and seriously 150 ONLY of us turned up and seriously the average age was around 60.

We decided to give it a go, we sang "we've swept the seas before boys" and there were pledges of money.

After that we had a bit of a revival, won division three, but then found out in the Championship that we could hardly win a game and still few wanted to come and watch us. We won 2 games before 490 "crowds", and the only reason we did not collapse back to third tier was there was no relegation.

If we go down again we lose our "glamour" fixtures and the away crowds for Featherstone, Batley, Dewsbury, Keighley, York, and the fans they bring and I am being serious. We're dead meat despite the ludicrous posts of others who talk about "working hard" and "building". Now these people were on a REAL wind up.

We've had all that in the past again and again nearly dying then along comes a few enthusiasts to revive the body. We've had 40 years of it since we first dropped to no money, no wins, 300 fans and no ground in 1973.

We aren't a "professional club"???

Are you on a wind up???

We are a remnant of history, a local club whom time and events has seen fade away in the modern era. Eventually you end up with people getting fed up with having to revive the dead body. Don't you remember how things went with Bramley?

Nobodies listening as they don't really care. I spoke about York who faded to oblivion and then in came the finest team of supporters a club could ever wish for. Last year they had faded back to one win (less than us) and thankfully 750 fans. Unlike us they don't lose every decent player and every young fan to Leeds every year.

I find it incredible people don't get it. When Hunslet were promoted a couple of people on here seriously said we could kick on and go for Superleague. Now that was a gold plated diamond studded wind up.

But they actually meant it and as per the board rules I had to respect their view :lol:

The arrangement with Leeds is a godsend, it's the future and on reflection after suggesting we should now call it a day, I find it exciting to a point, however as Blackpool Hawk says he and his fine compadres he finds it great and is loving it.

No doubt the "gang of four" will be seeking to seriously restrict our fun for their own mean ends. No doubt fans who have no business with our club will continue to tell us what we should do and think.

Edited by The Parksider, 07 March 2013 - 07:36 AM.

#193 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

I dont think so

You got it in one,

#194 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

1. We are also going to have to find an outlet for developing players over say 20, SL squad players and those coming back from injury.

2. The RFL and SL clubs have decided it will be the Championship clubs..

3. I don't believe they can't afford it. If a club has revenue of £4m then its only 2.5%

1. You answer your own question there Shaun.

2. Hunslet, Swinton, Rochdale, Oldham, Donny will be providing this.

3. Leeds CAN afford it, but why not save £100,000 and at the same time secure Hunslet's future by getting their wage bill down. It's a win win situation.

Surprised people on here are focused on just one side of what is a "deal"

Does anyone really think the SL clubs imposed anything on their CC counterparts.

Again if people don't like this they can join Mr. Keighley and go round knocking on the doors of South Leeds people (who are supposed to be our fan base but they aren't) and ask them "why aren't you supporting your local club" for tis with them that the cause of this lies, and not the evil being Gary Hetherington.

Edited by The Parksider, 07 March 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#195 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Matt, I went to a meeting a few years back when my club had run out of money, run out of fans just about and had come bottom of the "Third division" below sides from outside the M62. That meeting was to decide wether to pack it in, it was a life or death meeting and seriously 150 ONLY of us turned up and seriously the average age was around 60.

We decided to give it a go, we sang "we've swept the seas before boys" and there were pledges of money.

After that we had a bit of a revival, won division three, but then found out in the Championship that we could hardly win a game and still few wanted to come and watch us. We won 2 games before 490 "crowds", and the only reason we did not collapse back to third tier was there was no relegation.

If we go down again we lose our "glamour" fixtures and the away crowds for Featherstone, Batley, Dewsbury, Keighley, York, and the fans they bring and I am being serious. We're dead meat despite the ludicrous posts of others who talk about "working hard" and "building". Now these people were on a REAL wind up.

We've had all that in the past again and again nearly dying then along comes a few enthusiasts to revive the body. We've had 40 years of it since we first dropped to no money, no wins, 300 fans and no ground in 1973.

Are you on a wind up???

We are a remnant of history, a local club whom time and events has seen fade away in the modern era. Eventually you end up with people getting fed up with having to revive the dead body. Don't you remember how things went with Bramley?

Nobodies listening as they don't really care. I spoke about York who faded to oblivion and then in came the finest team of supporters a club could ever wish for. Last year they had faded back to one win (less than us) and thankfully 750 fans. Unlike us they don't lose every decent player and every young fan to Leeds every year.

I find it incredible people don't get it. When Hunslet were promoted a couple of people on here seriously said we could kick on and go for Superleague. Now that was a gold plated diamond studded wind up.

But they actually meant it and as per the board rules I had to respect their view :lol:

The arrangement with Leeds is a godsend, it's the future and on reflection after suggesting we should now call it a day, I find it exciting to a point, however as Blackpool Hawk says he and his fine compadres he finds it great and is loving it.

No doubt the "gang of four" will be seeking to seriously restrict our fun for their own mean ends. No doubt fans who have no business with our club will continue to tell us what we should do and think.

I don't get this 'mean' Gang of Four bit Parky. They've come up with a set of guidelines that they themselves are happy to adhere to. They aren't trying to force them upon any other club, as Blackpool Hawk has said Hunslet have had no correspondence on the matter from them. Leigh, for example could have partnered up with Wigan and possibly swept all before them in the Championship but they didn't. Why do you think that was? I'm pretty sure that the Hunslet board will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of 500 fans of the 'mean' Featherstone club hitting the SLS for the last league game of the season.

You see nothing wrong in turning a fine Championship competition into an A team league as long as your own struggling club benefits from it. Now that's what I call mean and indeed selfish. It will only take two of the clubs to join the six who originally voted against partnering to see the end of this in the Championship. And then of course there's the small matter of whether the majority of SL are getting what they expected from the arrangement. Both John Kear and Dave Woods have turned down SL squad players in favour of their own so how long will their parent SL clubs stand that for? Sean Wayne, for one, says it's not working for Wigan and others may well feel the same. Enjoy it while it lasts Parky.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 07 March 2013 - 05:17 PM.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#196 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Are you on a wind up???

Sincerest good luck to you all then.

Cummins Out.

#197 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

1. You answer your own question there Shaun.

2. Hunslet, Swinton, Rochdale, Oldham, Donny will be providing this.

3. Leeds CAN afford it, but why not save £100,000 and at the same time secure Hunslet's future by getting their wage bill down. It's a win win situation.

Surprised people on here are focused on just one side of what is a "deal"

Does anyone really think the SL clubs imposed anything on their CC counterparts.

Again if people don't like this they can join Mr. Keighley and go round knocking on the doors of South Leeds people (who are supposed to be our fan base but they aren't) and ask them "why aren't you supporting your local club" for tis with them that the cause of this lies, and not the evil being Gary Hetherington.

You know that Hunslet are perhaps unique in the whole of rugby league in that the area they represent has A) shrunk in population in a huge way, B) lost it's industrial base so there are no jobs around and C) the demographics of the remaining inhabitants have changed and the residents have now no affinity for RL.

Therefore, it might be the most expedient course for Hunslet to become an addendum on the Leeds corporate listings, although arguments can and have been made that an independent hunslet ids possible.

Having siad all that re Hunslet, the dual registration/A team concept at all the other clubs is a one way street ebefitting only the SL clubs involved and will ultimaately decimate the heartlands and the expansion areas as these clubs are subsumed into being slave clubs to SL organisatiions and will have no attraction for their local fan bases. If the SL clubs ever lose interest in the DR?A team deals, these clubs will be cast asdie and will die. the whole game including SL will be the poorer.

Since you are casting about stupid challenges to me re knocking on doors in South Leeds, i will reciproate in kind and ask you why you arn;t knocking on the doors of South Leeds and selling the inhabitants on the glories of supporting Leeds A team since this is such a great, brave new world worthy of their time and money. You do throw out some ridiculous challenges to people, so that is my equally ridiculous riposte.

#198 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

You know that Hunslet are perhaps unique in the whole of rugby league in that the area they represent has B) lost it's industrial base so there are no jobs around

This is sarcasm,right.

#199 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:28 PM

I don't get this 'mean' Gang of Four bit Parky.

You see nothing wrong in turning a fine Championship competition into an A team league as long as your own struggling club benefits from it. Now that's what I call mean and indeed selfish. It will only take two of the clubs to join the six who originally voted against partnering to see the end of this in the Championship. And then of course there's the small matter of whether the majority of SL are getting what they expected from the arrangement. Both John Kear and Dave Woods have turned down SL squad players in favour of their own so how long will their parent SL clubs stand that for? Sean Wayne, for one, says it's not working for Wigan and others may well feel the same. Enjoy it while it lasts Parky.

That's a robust reply Terry, to counter my robust defence of my club but I'm stunned you are getting in the debate when at the end of the day you insist your off to Superleague?

What are you are seemingly saying to me is "enjoy the way the rules are now because in a very short time they will be changed and you will be in the brown stuff again".

Isn't that incredibly mean in itself? Are you going to look down at the Championship when your in Superleague and have a little snigger that Hunslet are back to losing all the time and holding closure meetings?

What is "fine" about the Championship?, is it "fine" because your at the top of it all the time?

Is it a fine Championship when Fev put 68 and 54 points past us in one sided games??

I suppose the likes of Donny. Workington, Whitehaven, Swinton, Hunslet and York should just remain cannon fodder for Rovers until Rovers either go up or these clubs fold?

Clearly you don't care if these clubs collapse, but it's a bit rich when you go round wanting people to be sympathetic about your own clubs advancement?

#200 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,348 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

1. You know that Hunslet are perhaps unique in the whole of rugby league in that the area they represent has A) shrunk in population in a huge way,

2. Having said that re Hunslet, the dual registration/A team concept at all the other clubs is a one way street befitting only the SL clubs involved and will ultimately decimate the heartlands

1. Hunslet do not represent Hunslet, any more than Everton represent Everton. For the vast majority of their history they have pitched the club to all the good people of Leeds. They wear the Leeds University colours to show this. They are a Leeds club. The fact is Leeds simply got the name first.

2. You really should appreciate that the problems Hunslet have, and York had, Bramley had, Oldham and Rochdale have in spades, Swinton have serious problems and have had them for years, Donny too, Whitehaven etc

You and Terry are trying to talk like all these clubs are just lazy and don't want to work hard, and are ruining a good competition because it's an easy way to compete. But I suppose when Terry's club is on the up he can afford to be holier than thou, as for you you resent the way the game has gone and the loss of opportunity for your club who has sold out just like my club.

No need to take it out on my club just because they are making the most of things. For the record Hunslet are not helping ruin the Championship, the SKY contract is doing that.

Edited by The Parksider, 07 March 2013 - 11:46 PM.