Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ady Spencer and the Varsity match - London evening standard

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Nice little piece that doesn't hold back..

http://www.standard....er-8514364.html

Wonder if it will make it into the print edition..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#2 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

The most telling quote, for me, is Spencer's saying that the rugby union press were "incredulous" and that they couldn't believe the case was being taken so "seriously" - ie. people being paid merely to write about rugby union and ostensibly in support (or, at best, being utterly blasé) of the latter's banning of a university student who had the temerity to play as an amateur alongside paid rugby league players...

I am "incredulous" that the sport got away with such appalling discrimination and hypocrisy for so long.

Incidentally, some of those journalists are still knocking around today...

#3 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 693 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'm incredulous that the RFL shopped him!

He may well have been banned anyway, and the ruling was outrageous, but talk about self flagellation.

#4 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

He may well have been banned anyway, and the ruling was outrageous, but talk about self flagellation.

To be fair it does say that the RFL checked with him first if they could do it or not.

#5 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

Cracking article, hope our man in Texas sponsors his local,RL in the good old USA! Article also show RU for what the were and still are.

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

A smart move. Otherwise we wouldn't even be discussing this.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#7 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Things were about to change for both codes of rugby at that time, and I have no downside to the RFL making Ady a profile case. It could have gone wrong for him, and the RFL would have been chastised, but there were bigger things happening in both games and 11 months later union became more honest. maybe this more high profile incident moved it along. If Ady was a lever, thanks to him, so that the wider game of RL could be played across the UK.
A refreshing, factual article without bullsh it.

#8 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

The most telling quote, for me, is Spencer's saying that the rugby union press were "incredulous" and that they couldn't believe the case was being taken so "seriously" - ie. people being paid merely to write about rugby union and ostensibly in support (or, at best, being utterly blasé) of the latter's banning of a university student who had the temerity to play as an amateur alongside paid rugby league players...

I am "incredulous" that the sport got away with such appalling discrimination and hypocrisy for so long.

Incidentally, some of those journalists are still knocking around today...

Some of those journalists are regular visitors and posters on here too!
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,002 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:21 AM

I wondered what happened to Clive Woody.

Edited by Johnoco, 02 March 2013 - 01:09 AM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#10 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

Feel free to tell all...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users