Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

where has the youth gone?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

To give an example of waiting for players to mature at 18/19, Under 16 West Cumbria service area a few years back picked a 25 man squad, Brett Phillips missed out on that squad. Of that squad pro clubs in Cumbria chewed up and spat out a few after signing them at 16 and Lee Mossop signed for Wigan. The rest have never really kicked on or drifted away. Brett got his head down played Amateur and every year got better and better by the time he was 19 he was outstanding and is now doing big things for Workington Town

We are making decisions on players futures at a far to early age and at one thats vital to the rest of there life in terms of education etc
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#22 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

The performance department at the RFL are to blame but they seems to be bullet proof , can anyone give me a clear example of anything they have done which as actually benefited the game ?

#23 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

Gotta agree with you taxi egg as the facts are plain and simple
We still can't beat the auspices in the big games.
We still can't produce decent half back.
We still insist on playing players out of their normal position.
Super league rely to heavily on overseas players for key positions.

The performance department should be asking themselves why we can't produce a good serum half or stand off and why the failure rate is so high for the very best youth players.

#24 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

The performance department have made coaching sterile.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#25 mmp

mmp
  • Coach
  • 380 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

the issue for my mind is not the 'structure'. It'd be fine if we had 10 times the player pool. we need to focus on increasing the number playing so we have more kids full stop in the system.
In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero....bs/burybroncos/

#26 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

Some good points on here i have always felt it would be best to leave the young players with their clubs untill a pro club makea a commitment,

most of the comments on here are dealing with whats been going on for a decade where clubs tend to loos a few players, nothing new there

i have asked why we have lost 32,nr 16 & 18 year old teams in the past 12 months when we lost non in 2011

i personally think that players have voted with there feet and have not got the time in Summer, BUT i also understand that i may be wrong im just asking you to prove it

but i feel im dealing with politicians, i asked a very simple question, why such a MASSIVE loss the same time we went to Summer ?

over to you Longman, del capo

#27 milly

milly
  • Coach
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

Some good points on here i have always felt it would be best to leave the young players with their clubs untill a pro club makea a commitment,

most of the comments on here are dealing with whats been going on for a decade where clubs tend to loos a few players, nothing new there

i have asked why we have lost 32,nr 16 & 18 year old teams in the past 12 months when we lost non in 2011

i personally think that players have voted with there feet and have not got the time in Summer, BUT i also understand that i may be wrong im just asking you to prove it

but i feel im dealing with politicians, i asked a very simple question, why such a MASSIVE loss the same time we went to Summer ?

over to you Longman, del capo

I think the move to summer has had a detrimental effect on the 16-18 age group.

In the past the season would start in September and be more or less over by April. Now the season starts in March - and GCSE and A levels take place in May/ June - so we are starting just as revision gets heavier in schools.

Also, the season crosses the summer when a lot of youngsters leave school and get freedom for holidays with mates, choosing colleges etc and your 18 year olds are preparing for University. In the winter season, this would all happen in the close season allowing for them to settle down and get back playing. Now these important transitions are happening during the season and we wonder why teams are struggling to survive?

#28 one shot

one shot
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

That's not to say that there has necessarily been a big drop off in playing numbers as more youngsters seem to go straight into open age now.

Peters own words! Yes they did last season as teams scraped the proverbial barrel to put a team out! Just like today! That's why the youth is suffering! One word SUMMER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users