League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

First it was smoking, now its drinking. What next?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

I'm not so sure. It would be political suicide for any party suggesting that although I imagine that tax on alcohol could achieve a similar aim. Also, prohibition didn't work in the US and this would just create a black market in poor quality and dangerous products.

This is what I was suggesting with meat
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#22 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,993 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:07 AM

Far easier to punish the vast majority of drinkers though who aren't social physcopaths though.

As an extreme example, the fact that we're in a triple-dip recession with wages well off the pace of inflation has made a difference to the people I know who smoke. Fags are now cripplingly expensive. I've watched them go from normal packs to roll-ups to 'from a bloke in the pub' to, finally, seriously attempting to stop. Obviously people on benefits get their cigarettes free so this only applies to honest workers toiling ... Also I've seen the charts that show (though not entirely sure I believe them) that the price of petrol has reached such a point that people are driving less, certainly outside the times when they have to.

So, change through charging is possible. In theory.

The summary of the report focuses a lot on culture. That the UK has a culture where drinking is the norm goes without saying. It also goes without saying that everyone (by which I mean everyone) lies to their GP about how much they drink and, even before then, underestimates in both units and absolute amounts how much they drink. Most people are completely unaware of whether their drinking is raising their risks of disease and completely clueless as to the cost of this disease on themselves, their families and the NHS and other services. Very few people have the good fortune to just drop down dead.

If it really was just chronic alcoholics then there wouldn't really be that much of a burden - but it isn't and there is.

Will minimum pricing solve this? No. Do I think there is a problem with booze in our culture? Yes. Do I lie to my GP about how much I drink, underestimate how much I have and how often and what the actual risks and costs are? Oh, yes.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,910 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

Masturbation.

Already banned in public places. Only a matter of time before the EUSSR bans it in the workplace.

:D

That that's the spirit! Though in fact I am pretty sure we'll see S'rAlex at it if Ryan Giggs plays on Tuesday. :lol:

I was thinking more of a post-alcohol push on ...oh, I dunno....fat, sugar, salt in food, people not wearing hi-viz jackets in bed, and my favourite, all pedestrians and car drivers to wear crash helmets.

#24 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,460 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

When will the idiots in charge learn that if people want to drink too much, they will. Anything they try will be got round by the problem drinkers. I know several serious alkies and they find a way to drink- all the time...and it isn't always beer.

Far easier to punish the vast majority of drinkers though who aren't social physcopaths though.

Our posts may have crossed, but the research carried out by the drinks industry would contradict this. Hardened alchies will drink after-shave, but most of us will not nad decreasing the affordability of alcohol does seem to have an effect. Certainly, alcohol is far more affordable for people now than it was twenty years ago and consumption has increased accordingly.

The presentations I saw were at the Institute and Guild of Brewers, so certainly not a Government body interested in social nannying or more tax.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,993 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

oh, I dunno....fat, sugar, salt in food, people not wearing hi-viz jackets in bed, and my favourite, all pedestrians and car drivers to wear crash helmets.

Some people seem to have a naive belief that the labels on food should reflect the contents within.

Don't they realise that that is basic red-tape nanny state ism?
- Severus, July 2012

#26 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,993 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

:D

That that's the spirit! Though in fact I am pretty sure we'll see S'rAlex at it if Ryan Giggs plays on Tuesday. :lol:

I was thinking more of a post-alcohol push on ...oh, I dunno....fat, sugar, salt in food, people not wearing hi-viz jackets in bed, and my favourite, all pedestrians and car drivers to wear crash helmets.

Hi-viz for cyclists to be compulsory:
http://road.cc/conte...s-wear-high-viz

This from a country where it is perfectly legal to drive without insurance.
- Severus, July 2012

#27 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,752 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

Our posts may have crossed, but the research carried out by the drinks industry would contradict this. Hardened alchies will drink after-shave, but most of us will not nad decreasing the affordability of alcohol does seem to have an effect. Certainly, alcohol is far more affordable for people now than it was twenty years ago and consumption has increased accordingly.

The presentations I saw were at the Institute and Guild of Brewers, so certainly not a Government body interested in social nannying or more tax.

Yes I suppose there's a lot of truth in that too. But it is only the sensible ones that will refrain. Determined pee artists will find a way to drink.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#28 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,427 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

What about when there are kids in the car?

It's ok as long as they're in the back seat and you have windows open

#29 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,993 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Land of the free
- Severus, July 2012

#30 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,993 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Step away from the mobile

http://www.latimes.c...0,2861036.story
- Severus, July 2012

#31 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

while i agree that people do lie about the amount they drink to there doctors, kids and anybody being arrested also lie about how much they drink, using drink as an excuse for whatever they have done.
people who say i drank 30 pints and was outta my head are liars, ask a kid has he had a drink and he will bragg that he has supped since he was 8, when he has not.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#32 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

Bearing in mind how easy it is to brew the stuff yourself it would take a monumental amount of time to get "sensible drinking" sorted.

Also any policy that tries to curb our natural instincts is edging towards the wrong end of the political spectrum. The easy way to put it is, by all means legislate against public nudity but don't limit how many condoms I can buy or who I put them in.

#33 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

and my favourite, all pedestrians and car drivers to wear crash helmets.

research suggest that this will save more lives than requiring cyclists to wear them

#34 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

Will minimum pricing solve this? No. Do I think there is a problem with booze in our culture? Yes. Do I lie to my GP about how much I drink, underestimate how much I have and how often and what the actual risks and costs are? Oh, yes.

That question and answer format is very Nick Clegg. Please don't do it again.

Minimum pricing would reduce consumption, I think that's pretty clear. Personally I think it should be essentially impossible to buy a unit of alcohol cheaper off licence than in a pub, club or restaurant. This would solve a lot of problems.

There are a number of problems with booze in our culture. I am continually amazed by how many of my colleagues and friends sink a bottle of wine every night as a matter of course.

These days I do lie about my alchohol consumption to the doctor - I inflate it considerably. A mixture of work, the little one and generally growing up means I rarely go out much now and I never was one for drinking at home. For me drinking was really about the getting drunk and having adventures with my mates. And that has continued but become less frequent. I have probably drunk about 15 pints this year in total and 8 of those were in one night at a beer festival a fortnight back.

That's me.  I'm done.

#35 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

Bearing in mind how easy it is to brew the stuff yourself it would take a monumental amount of time to get "sensible drinking" sorted.

My experience of homebrew as a student is that few people have the stomach for it.

Me and a mate used to knock out about 80 pints of homebrew a week in the second year of uni so I speak from experience.

Being poor really is not fun.

That's me.  I'm done.

#36 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,993 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

These days I do lie about my alchohol consumption to the doctor - I inflate it considerably.

Check your notes, your doctor has probably marked you down as a fantasist.
- Severus, July 2012

#37 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,993 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

That question and answer format is very Nick Clegg. Please don't do it again.

Shows the gap between perception and reality.

I had Bill Clinton's voice in my head when I was tying that.
- Severus, July 2012

#38 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Check your notes, your doctor has probably marked you down as a fantasist.

You should hear what I say when she asks about my sexual activities..

That's me.  I'm done.

#39 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,993 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

You should hear what I say when she asks about my sexual activities..

It's okay, we've all seen the YouTube.
- Severus, July 2012

#40 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,910 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:21 PM

My experience of homebrew as a student is that few people have the stomach for it.

Me and a mate used to knock out about 80 pints of homebrew a week in the second year of uni so I speak from experience.

Being poor really is not fun.

Maybe not so much the stomach, more the bowels? That yeasty sediment sure does make its presence smelt felt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users