Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Giants welcome an old signing

Lovely story

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:05 PM

Picked this up off the Giants facebook page.

The club were visited today by Pat Devery, once of Australia, Balmain and Huddersfield, now in his early 90s.

He was one of the players in the recent book by David Gronow "Three Fartown Aussies" and played for the club back in the late 40s and early 50s. He still holds the club record for most points in a season with 332. He is in both the Huddersfield and Balmain Halls of Fame.

Here's Big Eorl handing him his number 4 shirt...

Posted Image

And here's a link to more of his story on the Huddersfield RL Heritage site.

http://www.huddersfi...Pat_Devery.html

I believe he now lives in Portland, Oregon. Let's hope the Fartown and the Bulls can put on a good show for him at the weekend.

That's me.  I'm done.

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

Superb.

#3 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:06 AM

Fantastic

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#4 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,220 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

remember reading about Pat Devery in the first RL book i ever bought, Dave Hadfields 'Playing Away', which is about Australians playing in the British game. well worth a read if you haven't already..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#5 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Pat Devery was a teacher when he was at Huddersfield as a player.

I heard a lot about what a cracking player he was and what a good bloke.

He, and the other Aussies at Fartown at the time, gave my dad and others advice/coaching on coaching RL, including running a session on a ChrIstmas Eve IIRC.

#6 GIANTSTRIDES

GIANTSTRIDES
  • Coach
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:06 PM

He was a joy to watch, His centre play was sublime and he created countless tries for L Cooper, When people reminisce about Fartown of that era Devery is the first name they mention.
Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

#7 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Nice !