Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

So if the Don Valley shuts down...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

what will they do with all the seats on the far side ? i can think of one ground that could take them IF it does get shut...
Posted Image

#2 Russ

Russ
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

Might not be a bad shout that with them both being council owned stadiums

#3 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

If Sheffield shuts, you'd think that some enterprising council that already owns a sports ground would build up their stadium to attract athletic events.
It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#4 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

My thoughts exactly gabby
Posted Image

#5 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Brilliant idea. Would be cheap as well. We should go for thier floodlights and really put us on the map as they can be seen for miles

#6 Green Brigade

Green Brigade
  • Coach
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

Can I ask, why would Hunslet want the seats?

#7 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Imagine drawing Leeds at home in the cup, we'd have to play it at Headingley to get the income but with more capacity we could play at home. Can't see it happening though

#8 morley-hawk

morley-hawk
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

Can I ask, why would Hunslet want the seats?

We wouldn't, no sense to it

As for athletics, Sheffield couldn't attract meetings, what makes us think Leeds would be any different

Edited by morley-hawk, 02 March 2013 - 11:18 AM.

#9 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

It's not just about Hunslet. We don't need big stadium in Leeds but a few more thousand capacity would open up opportunities for the city

#10 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

what will they do with all the seats on the far side ? i can think of one ground that could take them IF it does get shut...

Sydney funnel web spiders on the grass bank Steve , Whats your few on Eric France Scrap going into Admin , £22 million debts , Dewsbury and Wakefield sponsors , wonder if RFL help Wakey out........

#11 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

We should get an i pitch like widnes then the council could use it for all sorts

#12 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

personally id rip the athletics trap up and get 6 greyhounds running round it, with the bars/ restaurant looking down onto the track it would be perfect for the dogs.Elland rd dog stadium used to be packed on a sat night and for older viewers Hunslet had its own dog track off Old Run Road.
Posted Image

#13 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Stands going cheap. Fev will be in for them prob plonk it on top of the one from scarbro to make an upper tier to accomodate the 20,000 plus fans they will have in superdooper league

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#14 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

personally id rip the athletics trap up and get 6 greyhounds running round it, with the bars/ restaurant looking down onto the track it would be perfect for the dogs.Elland rd dog stadium used to be packed on a sat night and for older viewers Hunslet had its own dog track off Old Run Road.

They were both that packed out that they both closed due to a lack of customers.

#15 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

rubbish, Ladbrokes wanted out to sell the valuable land for a massive profit for a car park.
Posted Image

#16 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Some good suggestions--- the far side of our ground would look good with 2/,3 000 extra seats-- yes that would be more than we would need most of the time, so it's up to someone to come up with ideas for additional use. KOL 's idea of Greyhound racing is a good one, and I can confirm what he says about Ladbrokes and the Elland Road Greyhound stadium. Hunslet had just built new dressing rooms and a new directors lounge under the main stand when Ladbrokes cancelled our lease. Remember it was left derelict for several months while we had to move to play at Batley. Take a look at the site today.

#17 sgt pepper

sgt pepper
  • Coach
  • 694 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

It's getting a police station built on it

#18 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:04 PM

rubbish, Ladbrokes wanted out to sell the valuable land for a massive profit for a car park.

So it was worth more as a car park that was used between 20 and 30 times a year than as a Greyhound Stadium? As I said not a viable going concern in 1982 and therefore sold.

The writing was on the wall for the stadium itself when the attached dog kennels were closed in 1979.

#19 Moose

Moose
  • Coach
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

Some good suggestions--- the far side of our ground would look good with 2/,3 000 extra seats-- yes that would be more than we would need most of the time, so it's up to someone to come up with ideas for additional use. KOL 's idea of Greyhound racing is a good one, and I can confirm what he says about Ladbrokes and the Elland Road Greyhound stadium. Hunslet had just built new dressing rooms and a new directors lounge under the main stand when Ladbrokes cancelled our lease. Remember it was left derelict for several months while we had to move to play at Batley. Take a look at the site today.

Seats are for sitting on, not looking at, plus I can't imagine the owners of the stadium (Leeds Council) wanting to be involved in a sport which is so heavily involved with the gambling industry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users