Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ryan Giggs

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Regardless of what you think of his morals, his record on the field speaks for itself, as does his longevity in the game. Some of today's likely Man Utd first team squad weren't born when he played his first first team game.

http://www.telegraph...ited-debut.html

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

Billy Slater was tweeting a pic last week when he met him. Like you say, regardless of any personal issues its a great achievement.
If it wasn't for that knee injury I'd probably have done the same ;)

#3 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:38 PM

I saw his first appearance at Old Trafford.

Ball boy in the 1986 GB v Aus test.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#4 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

Regardless of what you think of his morals, his record on the field speaks for itself, as does his longevity in the game. Some of today's likely Man Utd first team squad weren't born when he played his first first team game.

Very true. An innings and some to rival Roy of the Rovers!.

#5 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

Regardless of what you think of his morals,

:wacko: ??

A Fev Blog

#6 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Oh dear! He did let himself down but nothing new.

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,295 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:30 PM

Such a shame. He could have really done well if only he had followed in his dad's footsteps.

#8 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

Oh dear! He did let himself down but nothing new.

Hardly relevant to his footballing ability is it?

A Fev Blog

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

I don't particularly care about the morals of footballers(*). I leave that to Weary and his 'rotten from top to bottom' dribble. Giggs is a rare example of a creative footballer who has had a long career without any notable dips. I'm struggling to think of anybody in any era who is his equal in that regard.

(* = on the other hand the fact that he could take out a superinjunction just about where he'd dipped his wick and allege without challenge that he was being blackmailed shows up a significant issue with our legal system and Justice Eddy in particular)
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#10 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,424 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

I think the longevity of his career is partially due to advanced training and medical regimes ... a torn achilles tendon or cruciate knee ligament used to signal the end of a players career.

Ryan Giggs' career can only, as far as I can see, be matched by Stan Matthews amongst outfielders. However, I think players will last longer in the future, particularly midfield players, where a loss of pace is less crucial and crunching tackles are now frowned on. Christiano Ronaldo could comfortably play till he's forty if he wants to.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#11 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 789 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:20 PM

great achievement by a true football professional,shame he dipped his wick in his brothers wife,thats the ultimate no-no,which questions his judgement off-field

#12 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:00 AM

I do tend to base how much I like a person strongly on their moral standing. You could be the best sportsman in the world but if you have "challenged" morals then I won't like you. Just my own little peculiarity...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#13 PC

PC
  • Coach
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:36 AM

It's even more remarkable if you think back to the hamstring injuries he suffered earlier in his career.

#14 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

Hardly relevant to his footballing ability is it?

Very true, but we are all judged overall in life's journey. Sometimes the world at large is unforgiving. Several modern-day footballers have come under the media spotlight and public wrath for their 'questionable' off-field activities. That said, it is an amazing achievement and well done.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 03 March 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#15 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

I think the longevity of his career is partially due to advanced training and medical regimes ... a torn achilles tendon or cruciate knee ligament used to signal the end of a players career.

Ryan Giggs' career can only, as far as I can see, be matched by Stan Matthews amongst outfielders. However, I think players will last longer in the future, particularly midfield players, where a loss of pace is less crucial and crunching tackles are now frowned on. Christiano Ronaldo could comfortably play till he's forty if he wants to.

I think that's the answer as to why he's lasted so long. The lack of a real physical challenge any more in soccer. I used to be mildly interested in soccer - I'd watch MOTD but since the physical contact has virtually gone I've lost interest. For me the collision is what makes Rugby of both codes a much better game than soccer.
Having said that you have to admire him for playing on, presumably he's not doing it just for the money any more. It's been suggested that he will ultimately be Ferguson's replacement.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#16 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

I think players will last longer in the future, particularly midfield players, where a loss of pace is less crucial and crunching tackles are now frowned on. Christiano Ronaldo could comfortably play till he's forty if he wants to.

And Jan Molby could've played 'til he got his bus pass! :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#17 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:42 AM

I do tend to base how much I like a person strongly on their moral standing. You could be the best sportsman in the world but if you have "challenged" morals then I won't like you. Just my own little peculiarity...

Hard to judge 'famous' people we don't really know from a distance though isn't it?

A Fev Blog

#18 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hard to judge 'famous' people we don't really know from a distance though isn't it?

True, but you'd need a phenomenally good excuse for knobbing your brothers missus

#19 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:27 PM

True, but you'd need a phenomenally good excuse for knobbing your brothers missus

Not sure I could have put that better...

#20 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

The missus met him when she was at Salford Poly. He was going out with her mate. Trying to be a clever dick he asked her if she wanted his autograph to which she replied "Absolutely!" and passed him the toilet paper to sign.