Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Save Don Valley Petition

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 Wakey Til I Die

Wakey Til I Die
  • Coach
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

There's a petition up and running to try and save the stadium. A good show of support may be enough to persuade private companies to take over the running and hopefully do a better job than Sheffield council have of making it pay. Spread the word.

http://epetitions.di...petitions/44288

#2 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

I thought nobody liked this stadium.

Baffling. :blink:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#3 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:51 PM

can fev buy your floodlights if there going cheep we love to recycling other stadiums that are no longer wanted ??

#4 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Signed it, although not too sure if it will attract the required number. Although a strange stadium for rugby league taking into account where the crowd were, I still enjoyed my visits.

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,063 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

I am afraid I can't.

As far as I can tell it has always been a white elephant, an unwonted legacy of the World Sutdent Games vanity project and a millstone round the necks of Sheffield council tax payers.

It seems to be a big stadium - capacity of 25,000 ((50,000 for concerts and 10,000 for football) with no major events. The angle of elevation of most of the uncovered seats is too low for a good view. The presence of the track in front of the main stand makes it unsuitable in my view for soccer or rugby as the pitch is then too far away. There is a gap between the tent roof over the main stand and the seats that allows the wind to blow through making it even colder than normal for Sheffield.

£800,000 a year for Jessica Ennis to train there?

Might be OK for crikit though, in summer, instead of Headingley.

Edited by JohnM, 02 March 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#6 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

Over on Casforum, it seems that Cas might be looking into trying to do a Fev with bits of it.

Not a bad idea, if it's suitable for it.

#7 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

I agree with John M on this one.
I have it down as the worst place i have ever watched rugby - cold, souless and miles from the pitch. Like a mini Twickenham really. :-)

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#8 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 976 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

Might have been a decent stadium if they'd finished building it.

Having said that it was the scene of one of my favourite RL memories, when Jeff Wittenberg flopped over to clinch the match and the 1997 Super League title for the Bulls.

And three Stones gigs, one in glorious sunshine and two in p!$$!ng down rain.
And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#9 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

Typical of this country, another waste of money, Sheffield county concil hang your head in shame.

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,916 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:58 PM

its a drain on thecouncil tax payers of Sheffield at the best of times extermely poor value for money.

I'd be more bothered about Stocksbridge leisure centre if I lived in Sheff.

aint signing
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#11 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:52 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed my first and I think only visit back in August 1997.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#12 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:45 AM

Is it not possible to move the pitch close to one side stand? At least then one major stand could be saved...

#13 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

of course its possible...

did some messing about a couple of months ago and mocked up this..
Posted Image

start with moving the pitch closer to the main stand.....then add the 3 other stands if needed

Edited by roughyedspud, 03 March 2013 - 07:44 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#14 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

I am afraid I can't.

As far as I can tell it has always been a white elephant, an unwonted legacy of the World Sutdent Games vanity project and a millstone round the necks of Sheffield council tax payers.

It seems to be a big stadium - capacity of 25,000 ((50,000 for concerts and 10,000 for football) with no major events. The angle of elevation of most of the uncovered seats is too low for a good view. The presence of the track in front of the main stand makes it unsuitable in my view for soccer or rugby as the pitch is then too far away. There is a gap between the tent roof over the main stand and the seats that allows the wind to blow through making it even colder than normal for Sheffield.

What he says +1.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#15 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

It will be a major problem for the Eagles when it goes - but taking off the RL glasses how can the council justify keeping it whilst cutting services to thousands?

The Olympic legacy obviously only applies to London - no point asking for help from that pot.

If England Athletics wants somewhere for youngsters in South Yorkshire to come through the system, perhaps they should fund it.

It would be nice to think that, as a nation, we had a strategy to provide shared, affordable sports facilities for multiple sports accessible to all within a reasonable distance. Sadly that isn't the case.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#16 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,137 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:18 AM

I am afraid I can't.

isn't that awful I agree with you :(
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#17 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:11 PM

It will be a major problem for the Eagles when it goes - but taking off the RL glasses how can the council justify keeping it whilst cutting services to thousands?

The Olympic legacy obviously only applies to London - no point asking for help from that pot.

If England Athletics wants somewhere for youngsters in South Yorkshire to come through the system, perhaps they should fund it.

It would be nice to think that, as a nation, we had a strategy to provide shared, affordable sports facilities for multiple sports accessible to all within a reasonable distance. Sadly that isn't the case.

Sheffield council plan to redevelop woodburn rd stadium where it will cost less to run and keep. I am hopeful they make it around 5,000 capacity and only six lanes instead of eight . Could be best option for Eagles as something like 5,000 would be big enough . Plus the stadium is on the tram link so would be easy access. Something like the ryedale stadium I know its not perfect but could be best option .
Chief Crazy Eagle

#18 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

Are Eagles no longer using Bramall Road?

#19 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

Sheffield council plan to redevelop woodburn rd stadium where it will cost less to run and keep. I am hopeful they make it around 5,000 capacity and only six lanes instead of eight . Could be best option for Eagles as something like 5,000 would be big enough . Plus the stadium is on the tram link so would be easy access. Something like the ryedale stadium I know its not perfect but could be best option .

Aiming for a 'Ryedale Stadium' would not be a wise move...
Posted Image

#20 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Are Eagles no longer using Bramall Road?

Only for about half the games and I don't think SUFC want them there really. The fans are already bitching about the rugby players cutting up their precious turf, stopping them playing their flowing high quality football...

A revamped Woodbourn may be the only option.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users