Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Save Don Valley Petition

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#21 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

Are Eagles no longer using Bramall Road?

Bramall Lane.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#22 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,076 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Its a mega dump, quicker the demolition team moves in the better

Edited by Gary Coyle, 03 March 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#23 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

The closure of DVS has been on the cards for quite a while. It wasn't really fit for purpose when it was built, with community use not really on the agenda as much back then. If Sheffield City Council's choice is to demolish DVS but save local leisure centres, then surely that's more important for the people of the city at large. Its lifespan may have been prolonged had the athletics authorities bothered to use it more than a couple of times for Grand Prix meetings etc. Without big events like that it's always been a white elephant.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#24 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

Only for about half the games and I don't think SUFC want them there really. The fans are already bitching about the rugby players cutting up their precious turf, stopping them playing their flowing high quality football...

A revamped Woodbourn may be the only option.

Tim (WCE as well).....

The smaller stadium won't then qualify for Superleague will it?

Have the club a view on this?

#25 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:02 AM

Tim (WCE as well).....

The club is making limited statements at the moment, but I'm sure this is high on the internal agenda. I think SUFC would be more amenable to hosting Super League (as they could command a higher price) but I also think that they would need a new surface laying down as currently the pitch has to rest for weeks on end in the summer - this means they probably have to get promoted at least once to justify the cost. So, could the Eagles make a credible SL bid based on a guaranteed place at Bramall Lane whilst playing at a stadium not dissimilar to York's or Skolars?
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#26 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

The club is making limited statements at the moment, but I'm sure this is high on the internal agenda. I think SUFC would be more amenable to hosting Super League (as they could command a higher price) but I also think that they would need a new surface laying down as currently the pitch has to rest for weeks on end in the summer - this means they probably have to get promoted at least once to justify the cost. So, could the Eagles make a credible SL bid based on a guaranteed place at Bramall Lane whilst playing at a stadium not dissimilar to York's or Skolars?

Is there any hope in going back to Owlerton Stadium?

#27 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

No
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#28 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

What for ? :mellow:

#29 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Tim (WCE as well).....

Woodbourn's not suitable at all.

#30 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

Could the Eagles make a credible SL bid based on a guaranteed place at Bramall Lane whilst playing at a stadium not dissimilar to York's or Skolars?

Thanks Tim/Griff....

IMHO no.

The crowds are only 1,000 and Mr. Swire fears they may be affected downwards if other CC clubs were seen as only "A" teams. The junior development has to aim to widen the geographical junior base of Superleague, and they need a ground capable of hosting SL where they can get a three year guarantee.

This may kill off the Eagles SL bid and the silence on the situation may be telling. I await to see what is said/happens.

#31 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

I agree. The ground is less of an issue than the level of support. If we had the support we had 20 years ago (just under 2500 in the season we had in Div 2, 1991/92), we'd probably have more extensive use of Bramall Lane. Yet here we are after 20 years of development and we have around half that crowd.

Everything else is in place for a $uperleague franchise.

The only point I'd challenge is the club's silence. The closure was only announced on Friday, when the club had a game against York. Give them a chance to research their options. <_<

Edited by Griff, 04 March 2013 - 11:19 AM.

#32 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

I agree. The ground is less of an issue than the level of support. If we had the support we had 20 years ago (just under 2500 in the season we had in Div 2, 1991/92), we'd probably have more extensive use of Bramall Lane. Yet here we are after 20 years of development and we have around half that crowd.

Everything else is in place for a $uperleague franchise.

The only point I'd challenge is the club's silence. The closure was only announced on Friday, when the club had a game against York. Give them a chance to research their options. <_<

They can suit themselves as regards researching options and announcing plans. ;)

The closure has been on the cards for some time, not since Friday. The announcement it could happen was as good as confirmation.

You say that (apart from a fan base, the development of SL standard players, an acceptable ground and £3,000,000 a year to balance the books) "Everything else is in place for a $uperleague franchise"

:blink:........... good luck with it then!

Seriously the second division crowds you quote from 20 years ago contrast sharply with todays crowds for a club that are the reigning Championship Champions.

A couple of years back people were saying licensing and Superleague were killing the Championship and i disagreed. Time to review that....

#33 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

They can suit themselves as regards researching options and announcing plans. ;)

Indeed.

The closure has been on the cards for some time, not since Friday. The announcement it could happen was as good as confirmation.

It would be totally inappropriate for the club to comment prior to the decision being taken.

You say that (apart from a fan base, the development of SL standard players, an acceptable ground and £3,000,000 a year to balance the books) "Everything else is in place for a $uperleague franchise"

:blink:........... good luck with it then!

Luck ? :wacko: We won't get in without a huge crowd increase so we won't need it.

Seriously the second division crowds you quote from 20 years ago contrast sharply with todays crowds for a club that are the reigning Championship Champions.

A couple of years back people were saying licensing and Superleague were killing the Championship and i disagreed. Time to review that....

Maybe we should relocate. ^_^

#34 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

This may kill off the Eagles SL bid and the silence on the situation may be telling. I await to see what is said/happens.

Totally the opposite of what I'm hearing is correct. I'm not at liberty to go into details or even hint, as these are trusted contacts within the club, but this is just the beginning of the story regarding where the Eagles end up playing. I wouldn't write off their Super League chances just yet - not on he ground side of things, at least (feel free to state they'll never make it regardless).

Woodburn Road isn't an option as far as I know.
www.bristolsonics.com

#35 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Oh, and they won't be relocating either, before anyone suggests that. Well, not outside of Sheffield, at least.
www.bristolsonics.com

#36 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

What for ? :mellow:

Its in Sheffield

#37 brummie-eagle

brummie-eagle
  • Coach
  • 794 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Totally the opposite of what I'm hearing is correct. I'm not at liberty to go into details or even hint, as these are trusted contacts within the club, but this is just the beginning of the story regarding where the Eagles end up playing. I wouldn't write off their Super League chances just yet - not on he ground side of things, at least (feel free to state they'll never make it regardless).

Woodburn Road isn't an option as far as I know.

This is correct
why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

#38 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Its in Sheffield

So's the Crucible.

#39 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,458 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Totally the opposite of what I'm hearing is correct.

Eh ? :mellow:

I'm not at liberty to go into details or even hint,

So - why are you hinting ? <_<

#40 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,861 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Maybe we should relocate. ^_^

Where to?

Donny and become South Yorkshire Sharks?

:o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users