Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Save Don Valley Petition

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#61 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,092 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

You surprise me. I thought, according to the Leeds a team coach, that it was a league of increasing standards and rising attendances due to DR.

I agree entirely. DR has had plenty long enough to prove itself capable of turning round the "League that no one cares about."

#62 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

Well, well, i agree with you. watch out for lightening bolts. His greatest achievment might yet to be, if he suceeds in getting the Eagles back into SL.

Then why say he's over achieved

The issue surrounding Aston and his achievements is that they have gone disgracefully under recognised in the city of Sheffield
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#63 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,959 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Still can't get people to spell his name right, though.

My apologies to you and him
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#64 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

Ashton hasn't over achieved

he's achieved

Well said that man.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#65 superten

superten
  • Coach
  • 365 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

mark has done a great job but lets not forget it was gary wilkinson who got us going again .
Chief Crazy Eagle

#66 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

My apologies to you and him

Apology to me not required, pal.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#67 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

So, could the Eagles make a credible SL bid based on a guaranteed place at Bramall Lane whilst playing at a stadium not dissimilar to York's or Skolars?

Wondering off into the realms of pure speculation I can't help but think there won't be a Super League round of licensing next time around but it'll be Super League 1 and 2, with 10 teams in each of which Sheffield will be one.

#68 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,402 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Then why say he's over achieved

The issue surrounding Aston and his achievements is that they have gone disgracefully under recognised in the city of Sheffield

Well, I think it's a phrase in general use ti imply that someone has achieved far more than could be expected and has therefore " over" achieved. It's a compliment. If I have the contect wrong then i withdraw the use of "over". I agree with you, that;s twice in one day, that Aston's achievemnts have gone largely unrecognised.

#69 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

Press conference at the English Institute of Sport (EIS) tomorrow morning, which should throw some light on the Eagles' situation.

Watch this space.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#70 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

New build? Possibly with another sports team ?
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#71 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,194 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Wondering off into the realms of pure speculation I can't help but think there won't be a Super League round of licensing next time around but it'll be Super League 1 and 2, with 10 teams in each of which Sheffield will be one.

Yes it may well be with the ten Superleague clubs in the Elite televised division getting £1.8M each a year from SKY.

I condfidently predict the SKY money given to the second tier will not be reduced.

#72 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

New build? Possibly with another sports team ?

Wait and see :D The announcement is very good news for the Eagles, and possibly for a run-down area of Sheffield in need of development. Or re-development. :D
www.bristolsonics.com

#73 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

Thought it might have been something along those lines a multi use stadium. Lets hope it's more successful than DV.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

#74 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

Don Valley is a multiuse stadium. That's the problem.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#75 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 876 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

Yeah I realise that but would Sheffield get the funding for a new stadium as owners and sole users? Im sure they will have to share this new stadium with others.

[

#76 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Coach
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

There are mutterings about it being a joint rebuild of the DVS between Eagles and Rotherham RU. No idea if there's any foundation to that (NO pun there!).
eh?

#77 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:42 AM

There are mutterings about it being a joint rebuild of the DVS between Eagles and Rotherham RU. No idea if there's any foundation to that (NO pun there!).

Press conference happening now. The basic announcement is the replacement of DVS (as it is today) with a much smaller rugby stadium, primarily for the Eagles but also for the Titans if they want to get involved. I'm guessing the capacity would be 10,000 max. No running track, and the stadium itself built in betweeen multi-use buildings of a new college, focusing on vocational training courses.

Exact details will become clearer when news stories start appearing online. I've known the basics for some time, but am looking forward to getting the full story.
www.bristolsonics.com

#78 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,466 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Press conference happening now. The basic announcement is the replacement of DVS (as it is today) with a much smaller rugby stadium, primarily for the Eagles but also for the Titans if they want to get involved. I'm guessing the capacity would be 10,000 max. No running track, and the stadium itself built in betweeen multi-use buildings of a new college, focusing on vocational training courses.

Exact details will become clearer when news stories start appearing online. I've known the basics for some time, but am looking forward to getting the full story.

Sounds like good news on the face of it. Pretty much as you've described it:

Don Valley redevelopment revealed.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#79 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

That's fantastic news for the Eagles, hopefully a stable, permanent base will allow them to grow their crowds to a level that their on field performance deserves, and then kick on to Super League.

#80 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

That's fantastic news for the Eagles, hopefully a stable, permanent base will allow them to grow their crowds to a level that their on field performance deserves, and then kick on to Super League.

Being a small stadium (compared to the old one) and part of a much larger project makes it more sustainable. The Eagles were involved from the start, and the consortium putting it all together, headed up by Richard Caborn, have worked tirelessly since the end of last year on this. Genuinely exciting news IMHO.

Interesting that the Titans have been unveiled as getting involved. I was under the impression that they weren't that interested, but obviously my information was wrong (in that case, anyway)
www.bristolsonics.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users