Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Save Don Valley Petition

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#81 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 849 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Good news hope it all works out.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#82 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

That's fantastic news for the Eagles, hopefully a stable, permanent base will allow them to grow their crowds to a level that their on field performance deserves, and then kick on to Super League.

Yes - we just need to fill it now. :D
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#83 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

That could be cracking for the Eagles. Great news. :D

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#84 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

Very sceptical until the funding is in place.

It obviously doesn't answer the question of where the Eagles will play next season.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#85 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

It obviously doesn't answer the question of where the Eagles will play next season.

Wembley are always looking to stage the odd game, Tim. :lol:

#86 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

No, but that will get sorted one way or another soon, I'm sure.

As for funding, Caborn has been working hard on this and convinced that there's money out there/available for things like this. If he didn't think it was a goer they wouldn't have got to the "announcement" stage. All the way along he's been saying that money is available from X, Y and Z, and seems confident of getting it. Remember he's pretty well connected and was involved in London 2012 from the start of bidding, so is mates with Coe and company. Even the Tories seem to like him/are willing to work with him.

It's by no means cut and dried, but he knows what he's doing. His desire to make this work and force of personality, as well as his connections, have got it this far. Who's to say he won't be able to get it even further.

10,000-12,000 capacity stadium at the centre is the key bit for the Eagles. 4G 'i-pitch' for year-round use (including community use). I for one hope it happens - it would be nice for the Eagles to play in a stadium more fitting than the giant DVS (existing stadium, I mean) or the excellent but oversized Bramall Lane.

There's a long way to go, but I'm quietly confident. This may prove to be unfounded, but only time will tell I guess.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#87 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

No, but that will get sorted one way or another soon, I'm sure.

As for funding, Caborn has been working hard on this and convinced that there's money out there/available for things like this. If he didn't think it was a goer they wouldn't have got to the "announcement" stage. All the way along he's been saying that money is available from X, Y and Z, and seems confident of getting it. Remember he's pretty well connected and was involved in London 2012 from the start of bidding, so is mates with Coe and company. Even the Tories seem to like him/are willing to work with him.

It's by no means cut and dried, but he knows what he's doing. His desire to make this work and force of personality, as well as his connections, have got it this far. Who's to say he won't be able to get it even further.

10,000-12,000 capacity stadium at the centre is the key bit for the Eagles. 4G 'i-pitch' for year-round use (including community use). I for one hope it happens - it would be nice for the Eagles to play in a stadium more fitting than the giant DVS (existing stadium, I mean) or the excellent but oversized Bramall Lane.

There's a long way to go, but I'm quietly confident. This may prove to be unfounded, but only time will tell I guess.

I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to have a new stadium (Salford) or not get one (Wakey/Cas). I actually think that if licensing continues, the RFL should seriously rethink their policy on ground size. Is 8000, for example, adequate for a club like Sheffield to be viable in Super League? I would say yes - I think that a smaller ground with a higher percentage occupancy, even with the occasional sell-out, is better than a cavernous super stadium.

#88 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to have a new stadium (Salford) or not get one (Wakey/Cas). I actually think that if licensing continues, the RFL should seriously rethink their policy on ground size. Is 8000, for example, adequate for a club like Sheffield to be viable in Super League? I would say yes - I think that a smaller ground with a higher percentage occupancy, even with the occasional sell-out, is better than a cavernous super stadium.

We'll never need more than 10,000, or probably 8,000, but the RFL may reverse their policy of ignoring Sheffield for internationals and bring a game to the new stadium - if it ever gets built - if it's around 10,000.

I tend to agree with you. Something like this would help the Eagles' SL bid, but there's no guarantee they could get half decent crowds there. That's why the club has to work hard on raising crowd numbers now, and not wait just in case this plan does come off. I'm sure they know that, though.
www.bristolsonics.com

#89 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:25 AM

Love your optimism. Sell out crowds.

#90 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Love your optimism. Sell out crowds.

8000 would be a strong possibility in a play-off game in SL against Leeds, Wigan or Hull. Admittedly there's a lot of water to pass under the bridge before then. In fact, something the size of the Pacific Ocean.

#91 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

8000 would be a strong possibility in a play-off game in SL against Leeds, Wigan or Hull. Admittedly there's a lot of water to pass under the bridge before then. In fact, something the size of the Pacific Ocean.

Current crowds are of the same order that they were at Owlerton. Just to put things in perspective.

#92 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Tales from the Don. :)

Let's hope this works out.

#93 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Well, the local media aren't impressed - the Radio Sheffield coverage this morning was decidedly negative. You expect the media to be a little cynical, but they don't seem all that convinced on so many levels. Frustrating, really.
www.bristolsonics.com

#94 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

If it's not United or Wednesday, they're not interested.

#95 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

That's the sad truth. They should just rename Radio Sheffield "Radio Soccer". Even by the standards of local radio football phone-ins, 'Praise or Grumble' is dreadful. It makes Radio Norfolk's atrocious "Canary Call" sound positive, and that takes some doing.
www.bristolsonics.com

#96 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:45 PM

I've not seen one report yet on Look North where the DV has been described as anything other than "where Jessica Ennis trains". Makes it sound like she's the only person using it. :rolleyes:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#97 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

It makes Radio Norfolk's atrocious "Canary Call" sound positive, and that takes some doing.

Presented by Alan Partridge? "Norfolk's number one soccer phone in" :rolleyes:

#98 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

I've not seen one report yet on Look North where the DV has been described as anything other than "where Jessica Ennis trains". Makes it sound like she's the only person using it. :rolleyes:

Talk Sport reported it while I was in t'car this dinner time. No mention of Jess Ennis but something about the cost being calculated on the back of a fag packet.

#99 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Presented by Alan Partridge? "Norfolk's number one soccer phone in" :rolleyes:

Sadly not, though presenter Rob Butler does his best to sound like a younger, more obnoxious Partridge.
www.bristolsonics.com

#100 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:23 PM

If the quoted figure of £40 million is right, in the current economic climate I reckon there's about as much chance of it going ahead as there is of me being selected ahead of Billy Slater in the Australian side next autumn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users